Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2012, 05:59 PM

Default Setting up a USB/Midi Controller while using a tascam audio/midi interface

I am a brand new user to both Macintosh AND Pro Tools 10,please
provide answers as simple as possible, preferable in a "step by step" format
(thanks)

My audio interface in the second u.s.b. port: Tascam US-12mk11
My first u.s.b. port: the ILok key

I already learned that taking out the ilok key causes Pro tools to shut down.

So my first question is HOW do I use my ROLAND PC-300 u.s.b./midi controller VIA U.S.B., WITHOUT causing "i/o changes" when I save to impact whether I can re-open my session upon saving? Oviousally I'm going to have to disconnect my Tascam to make a port available.Can I change the settings so that I may
remove the ILOK key? IF SO, How do I set up the "Multiple Aggregator" where I can use the Tascam AND the ROLAND keyboard at the same time?

NOTE: I downloaded and went through the set-up for THE LATEST MAC OS X driver for my u.s.b./Midi Keyboard.
hi I'm the person to whom runs
pro tools 10 with a mac book 13.3 os x
with a tascam audio/midi interface as my hardware
AND I have a ROLAND PC-300 u.s.b./midi keyboard/controller

I downloaded the latest driver for mac os x
in the audio/midi setup utility I followed the "read me" that came with
it.

It instructed me to connect the u.s.b. cord to the port, switch the keyboard on, and at that point the MIDI utility would recognize it, and list it, along with the Tascam interface that I had no problem with.I hit "re-scan" and the roland doesn't show up? Why is this? I wen't through the set-up with the driver.
so according to the "read me" it says the MIDI utility should already recognize it, THEN it instructs you to create TWO external devices and name them "PC-300" and "PC-300 MIDI OUT" and two click on the "down arrow" of one device to the other "down arrow" of the other device.(I'm sure your familiar)
I do that and nothing happens.
I click on the "test setup" or whatever, and NO the cursor does not turn in to a note or whatever, NOR does the arrows of the device blink as the "read me" ALSO claims it will do if the keyboard's connected.
Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Now, I know I can get some MIDI cables and a AC power cord for the keyboard/controller and play MIDI DIRECT through the TASCAM interface, but as you probably guess I DONT have midi cables nor an AC power cord for the keyboard and I live on an island, that although is only a 20 minute ferry ride into town, I don't go into town that often.

this is the sample from the "read me":
Settings for MIDI input and output on Mac OS X

Use a USB cable to connect the PC-300 with your computer, and then turn the POWER switch of the PC-300 to the "ON" position.
In the Applications - Utilities folder, double-click "Audio MIDI Setup" to start it up.
Click the "MIDI Devices" tab.
In the "Audio MIDI Setup" dialog box, make sure that "PC-300" is displayed.
* If "PC-300" is not shown, or is shown in gray, the PC-300 has not been recognized correctly. Try clicking "Rescan MIDI." Alternatively, switch the power of the PC-300 off, then back on again.
* If you installed a different version driver, it is possible that the previous settings are still present. If so, click the grayed "PC-300" or "Roland PC-300" to select it, and then click "Remove Device" to delete the previous settings.
Click "Add Device" 2 times. "new external device" icons will appear.
For each "new external device," specify the "Device Name."
Click the added "new external device" to select it, and then click "Show Info."
In the "Device Name" field, enter the name as follows.
First new external device PC-300 MIDI OUT
Second new external device PC-300
Using your mouse, drag the up/down arrows indicating the input/output port to make the following connections.
The first downward arrow of the "PC-300" to the downward arrow of the added "PC-300 MIDI OUT"
The second upward arrow of the "PC-300" to the upward arrow of the added "PC-300"
< Mac OS X v10.2 >

Close the "Audio MIDI Setup" dialog box. This completes the settings.
< Mac OS X v10.3 and later versions >

To verify that MIDI transmission/reception is occurring correctly, perform the following procedure.
Click "Test Setup." The mouse cursor will change to the shape of a musical note.
Try playing the keyboard of the PC-300. If the corresponding port's arrow in the "Audio MIDI Setup" dialog blinks, the settings have been made correctly.
Click "Test Setup" once again to end the test.
Close the "Audio MIDI Setup" dialog box. This completes the settings.
Before you use the PC-300 with software

Use a USB cable to connect the PC-300 with your computer. Then, start up the software you will be using.
Select PC-300 in the MIDI driver setting of your software.

Last edited by disabledpro001; 03-30-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: I can't get the mac os x Audio Midi Utility to recognize my u.s.b. keyboard/controller
Old 03-29-2012, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Setting up a USB/Midi Controller while using a tascam audio/midi interface

Get this. Works great. Use power adapter instead of USB power.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=149
Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Setting up a USB/Midi Controller while using a tascam audio/midi interface

Yes, a USB hub works great. Generally, you want to have your interface plugged directly in to the USB port on the computer, but most everything else can be plugged into the hub, including Iloks, midi keyboard controllers, printers, etc.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 PM

Thanks, I'll totally grab one.In the mean time would ya'll answer the following questions:

1) How do I set my keyboard controller u.s.b. as the INPUT HARDWARE for recording (YES I did install and go through the set-up of the latest mac os x driver) with the HEADPHONES AND/OR INTERNAL SPEAKERS as the SOUND OUTPUT?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 PM

1)How do I set my keyboard controller u.s.b. as the INPUT HARDWARE for recording (YES I did install and go through the set-up of the latest mac os x driver) with the HEADPHONES AND/OR INTERNAL SPEAKERS as the SOUND OUTPUT?

2) Now being that I use a Tascam audio.midi/interface, if I just un-plug the keyboard in question, then I want to use my Tascam again, could you list in point porm what i do to make the TASCAM NOW THE INPUT and (a) THE TASCAM AS OUTPUT or (b) external speakers/headphone jacks AS OUTPUT
(before I get a hub, I just want to try using Pro Tolls with JUST the KEYBOARD plugged in AS HARDWARE)
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 AM

Your question isn't making much sense.

Your USB keyboard handles midi only, not audio. I'm not sure what you mean by making it the "hardware".

For audio/headphones, etc., you have 2 choices, either the Tascam, or if that is unplugged, your only choice left is the Mac's built in input/output.

You would select either the built in, or the Tascam, in Protools under Setup>Playback engine.

This is completely separate from what you do with your midi controller.

By the way, with midi controllers on a Mac, you generally don't need to install drivers. It should automatically be recognized. But if it isn't, you just go under Applications>Utilities>Audio Midi Setup and hit "rescan devices".