Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2010, 08:28 PM

Default "Could not allocate space" error

Hi folks the title tells you my problem in a nutshell. I get the error when I try to record a track and it seems to have come out of the blue. There is no problem with sound and everything else works fine. So far I have gone through the trouble shooting bits ala getting rid of preferences, database files on all drives. I was originally on PTMP 8.01 and have upgraded to 8.03 to try and fix the problem. I have tried to run the session from both the system disk as well as my firewire disk (which is what I was initially using). The only plugins I have on my system at the moment are the stock plugs that came with PTMP and Amplitube 2. I have gone into the application preference menu under the tab "operation" and tried settings of "Use all available space" and a 10 minute time limit. In OSX the FW drive has read and write permissions set to all users and I have tried it with the "Ignore ownership" box both checked and unchecked to no avail. I have made sure that under the workspace window all my drives have "R"s under A and V columns.

Nothing is working for me here. I have 10GB available on the system drive and 26GB available to the external drive. All drives are formatted Mac OS Extended. My complete specs are in my signature. I'm all out of ideas and all searches have lead to the same suggestions. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Default Re: "Could not allocate space" error

OK, I double checked my driver version and it seems there was an update I missed. After updating my FWSolo driver I can now record audio. Woot! The bad news is that I now have CPU levels at near max with frequent CPU overload messages. My session has two audio tracks (only Amplitube inserted) and two instrument tracks (1 structure free instance and one Boom instance). My buffer is set to 128. I'm going to read through the general trouble shooting sticky again. If anybody has any other suggestions please don't hesitate to chime in.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 AM

UPDATE: I am having terrible performance issues. I have a brand new session open with a click track, a disabled audio track, and an instrument track. I tried loading the instrument track with each of the included AIR instruments and I get massive CPU spikes with the occasional CPU overload error message. I know my laptop is not a Mac Pro, but surely I should be able to get more out of it than this? My buffer is set to 128. I've already updated drivers, deleted everything via the pro tools helper script and repaired permissions. Any ideas?

What sort of track counts are core 2 duo macbook and MBP users getting?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 AM

How is your drive and interface connected? In what order and what ports?

For example this is my configurations;

iMac FW800> FW400>Maxtor>FW400>FW400>PM I/O.

iMac FW800>FW400>Lacie>FW800>FW400>ProjectMix I/O.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 PM

My chain looks like this: Laptop>Hard Drive>FWSolo
Old 07-14-2010, 03:44 PM

Are you connected to the FW800 port of the hard drive?
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 07-14-2010, 04:36 PM

It's FW400 on both the laptop and the enclosure. I have a black Macbook. Complete specs in my signature
Old 07-14-2010, 04:48 PM

Try putting the your firewire solo device first and the hard drive last. I know digi does not recommend this but my 1814 always ran better as the first device. Both devices are powered by the bus which I think run better as the first device. Also make sure not to use a power supply with the fw solo as that can cause problems also.

later,

Scott
Old 07-16-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post
Try putting the your firewire solo device first and the hard drive last. I know digi does not recommend this but my 1814 always ran better as the first device. Both devices are powered by the bus which I think run better as the first device. Also make sure not to use a power supply with the fw solo as that can cause problems also.

later,

Scott

Thanks for the tips but they didn't work. This is really frustrating. For those of you that do have working systems on Mac laptops, what sort of track counts are you getting? How many VI instances?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:58 PM

Default Could I get an actual tech support person?

I don't suppose I could get an actual tech support person to help me. I appreciate the forum members trying to come to my aid but unfortunately their efforts have been fruitless. I have paid for my software, I have met the system requirements and it doesn't work. I have reinstalled time and time again and have now even removed every non stock plugin and I still get CPU overload errors (-6101). I am really trying to keep my cool but I have been at this for two freaking weeks now and I still can't get started with a single session. This software can't be this unstable. I ditched Logic Pro to come to Pro Tools and ever since I got PTMP 8, I've had issues. At this point, even Garageband would be infinitely more useful than PTMP.