Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2017, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Loving it! (Waves plugins success)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
It depends what plugin we are talking about. It’s not consistent.
Not sure about that. It’s worth a call to Waves to confirm this point.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Not sure about that. It’s worth a call to Waves to confirm this point.
Yeah it was in response to your other post, I just neglected to quote you.

I have seen information from Waves themselves regarding their own plugins. I just don’t recall what form it was in. But it’s easy enough to verify yourself.

In the case of the API the Analog switch is coupled to both the noise and the harmonics that make the API an API. So switching off the analog there is like throwing the baby out with the bath water. Hook up an analyser and watch the harmonics jump to life as you flick the switch on. Make sure you look lower down on the scale as I think they peak around -90 of thereabouts.

The H-Delay and H-Comp use the Analog dial to determine the emulation model. No-one emulates 4 kinds of noise, not even Waves. Although it’s quite possible the noise is also coupled with the model. Have a good listen to them. Analog 3 & 4 are two different types of tape delay, you can hear it. 1 & 2 also have a different sound and texture, probably early digital delays. The Lo-Fi button drops the resolution so it’s more like a 12 bit delay, or something like that.

H-Comp Analog 1 I have managed to compare it’s sound and harmonics to being very close to the Waves API 2500. The Punch control is like a built in sidechain with a HPF, but with a bit of Thrust shaping thrown in. It’s very possible to produce similar results to the API, to a fair degree. Analog 3 I have put down to the V-Comp, complete with the -24dB nominal signal level, which is why it never sounds as good when you flick over to it. The level needs adjusting. The harmonics are also very similar.

I don’t know what the other 2 settings are yet, it I know that 2 isn’t the PIE. I suspect it maybe the SSL.

This is easy enough to verify yourself, but I’d did get this information elsewhere from Waves. It was a while ago, so I don’t quite remember. Possibly the manual in some part, also the promotional videos or the walkthroughs.

So... not all Analog switches are alike. Personally I never have much of a noise issue so I’m not afraid to use some of it in the mix, I think it does add a slight more realism to the effect, slightly extra depth and even a little intermodulation which helps with mix cohesion in my opinion.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:31 AM

If you like extra noise then so be it. I don't see why the noise has to be coupled with anything. I'm also highly skeptical of the fact that extra harmonics are being produced. Hearing it from the horses mouth would help obviously. If you use a bunch of these plugins then the noise really adds up. I thought one of the reasons that we went to digital was to have less noise. My two cents.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
If you like extra noise then so be it. I don't see why the noise has to be coupled with anything. I'm also highly skeptical of the fact that extra harmonics are being produced. Hearing it from the horses mouth would help obviously. If you use a bunch of these plugins then the noise really adds up. I thought one of the reasons that we went to digital was to have less noise. My two cents.
I agree that its shouldn't be coupled and that their later approach of having a dial for it is much better implementation. However, that doesn't change the current behaviour of their already existing plugins.

Perhaps Version 10 will see a dial being added to those plugins that don't have it.

The noise indeed builds up, thats why i wouldn't go crazy with it. Then there is the added option of using a noisegate if need be. If it does get out of hand you can just selectively turn some of it off too.

I did get the news from the source, somewhere. There's nothing to be skeptical about if you can see it with your own eyes and hear it with your own ears. As far as I'm aware its only the API that has the Analog control rigged to it's harmonics. After all, it is adding that "analog" element. H-Comp and H-Delay do emulation types, as I have already said.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:51 PM

https://youtu.be/zq9FZ2vj1TY

Finally got the video posted- link above.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledude View Post
https://youtu.be/zq9FZ2vj1TY

Finally got the video posted- link above.
Is that processed using the EMI-TG??