Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2021, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Best forum or resource for high end, PT compatible audio and video computer?

I'm kind of in the same spot as you other than audio is secondary to video for me. Also a couple years from retirement. Preparing hobbies to keep me busy. Photography, video and getting back into my music.

I've had that internal debate on how much to spend on a computer that will have decent performance rendering 4k. I ended up getting the new Mac Mini with 16gigs of ram and Finalcut Pro. It handles 4k with ease.

It's going to be a bit before it is officially supported but Pro Tools is working fine on it. I am currently running several Demo versions of different software trying to decide which to settle on. Each has its own strong points. Probably end up with 3. So far liking Ableton and Logic Pro for certain things.

Still, I get you are looking at a PC. Now is a difficult time, as many of the PC parts are scarce. I'd be looking at a RTX 6060 Ti video card at minimum and it is sold out everywhere. Last year my son had a new computer built. He had priced out both the built computer and the separate parts. It was slightly cheaper to have it built with the Christmas specials and it came with support and warranty. One common issue when you build is if there is an problem, sometimes you have manufacturers pointing fingers, blaming something else for the problem. My son got all the same components he would have bought himself.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Best forum or resource for high end, PT compatible audio and video computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post
The easiest thing will be to just concentrate on building the best video editing suite you can afford, as any half way decent video rig will be massively OP for most audio applications anyhow. Just keep an eye out for PT compatibility with regard to individual components, and the rest is pretty easy, really. Your wallet will make most of the decisions for you.

I don't see where you mentioned what NLE you'll be using, but they all have pretty robust forums of their own. I'm sure you can get great advice on a new build from the folks there.

I don't know that there is one out there specifically for cats who are black belt in both PT and various NLE's, as it's kind of rare for people to specialize in both.
I think that's good advice and is what I've been thinking for a while now. Just making sure each component will play nice with PT is the tricky part. I'm on HDX now, but have been wondering if I'd miss it if I went to HD native when I do all this. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:39 AM

Hi Steve,

I checked your site and music out. I like it! Will be spending more time on it. Looks like you got some serious outboard gear. I'm seeing where you need the PCI cards to handle the I/O if using outboard gear.

As far as video, I am no help for that. Last time I dabbled in video, I was 16-18 years old back in 1986-1988. Panasonic Industrial VHS Sync Boxes.

I just started getting into doing some very light YouTube stuff, mainly instructional screen capture recording, then edit with Adobe Premier. I have to admit on a brand new iMac (see my sig block for specs), during export I see the CPU spike up and fans spike. That's why many are praising the M1 chip from Apple. I hear that rendering video is not even putting a dent in the proc.

Would be more interested to learn about your setup, meaning how you setup a session, drums, etc.. We can take that off line.

Oh, and one more question, as the UPS driver, do you deliver your own gear you order? Great way to sneak gear in the house!!
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 01-04-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songwritersoul View Post
I think that's good advice and is what I've been thinking for a while now. Just making sure each component will play nice with PT is the tricky part. I'm on HDX now, but have been wondering if I'd miss it if I went to HD native when I do all this. Thanks.
I have just more or less done what you are talking about Gone to a whole new system.

I am certainly no good on advice for building a PC

But I have experience with PTHD Native since 2011 actually . Until a few months ago . First be aware that unless you buy used, Avid no longer makes HD Native PCIe cards for the computer . The only new products are the Avid Thunderbolt (2) core (no software) for $999 which means your computer will need a TB 2 or 3 port.

When Avid dropped HDN cards I began to wonder if they were eventually going to phase it out ? And now with the new Carbon interface I am wondering even more ( now I could be way off base, because HDN is currently more expandable for I/O count and still vary viable for people who mix High track count ) But me for example I decided that since I record only myself and have modest I/O requirements I sold my two OMNI/s and have opted for Carbon

As far as missing it. Hard to say depends how you track your projects .
If for the vocals and guitars you like tracking thru FX for example depending which ones, you may begin to notice some latency compared to HDX.
Which honestly has not been issue for me as I record dry and at 64 sample buffer .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-04-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
Hi Steve,

I checked your site and music out. I like it! Will be spending more time on it. Looks like you got some serious outboard gear. I'm seeing where you need the PCI cards to handle the I/O if using outboard gear.

As far as video, I am no help for that. Last time I dabbled in video, I was 16-18 years old back in 1986-1988. Panasonic Industrial VHS Sync Boxes.

I just started getting into doing some very light YouTube stuff, mainly instructional screen capture recording, then edit with Adobe Premier. I have to admit on a brand new iMac (see my sig block for specs), during export I see the CPU spike up and fans spike. That's why many are praising the M1 chip from Apple. I hear that rendering video is not even putting a dent in the proc.

Would be more interested to learn about your setup, meaning how you setup a session, drums, etc.. We can take that off line.

Oh, and one more question, as the UPS driver, do you deliver your own gear you order? Great way to sneak gear in the house!!
Thanks for checking out my middle aged man rock. I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you have about my set up. I'm no pro, but I have a lot of trial and error experience. As far as the UPS thing goes, my girlfriend doesn't live with me right now so I don't have to smuggle any gear in...and really don't have to anyway. I always keep my finances separate so she doesn't have to explain wanting an expensive pair of shoes and I don't have to explain why a new computer with pcie4 capability will help an armada of vst's run smoother. :)
Old 01-04-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I have just more or less done what you are talking about Gone to a whole new system.

I am certainly no good on advice for building a PC

But I have experience with PTHD Native since 2011 actually . Until a few months ago . First be aware that unless you buy used, Avid no longer makes HD Native PCIe cards for the computer . The only new products are the Avid Thunderbolt (2) core (no software) for $999 which means your computer will need a TB 2 or 3 port.

When Avid dropped HDN cards I began to wonder if they were eventually going to phase it out ? And now with the new Carbon interface I am wondering even more ( now I could be way off base, because HDN is currently more expandable for I/O count and still vary viable for people who mix High track count ) But me for example I decided that since I record only myself and have modest I/O requirements I sold my two OMNI/s and have opted for Carbon

As far as missing it. Hard to say depends how you track your projects .
If for the vocals and guitars you like tracking thru FX for example depending which ones, you may begin to notice some latency compared to HDX.
Which honestly has not been issue for me as I record dry and at 64 sample buffer .
It is nice to be able to track vocals with a hint of reverb, but I could certainly do without if it meant saving a lot of money on a rig. Won't surprise me at all if about the time I retire, my HDX system will be considered a dinosaur. Reason number 42 for why to wait until I'm closer to retirement to actually start dropping money. My current system was a huge leap forward compared to its predecessor and I don't have issues with it 70% of the time with PT so I'm guessing and hoping this next build will be my last one I'll need to do for hopefully a couple decades.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:23 AM

Here is how I get around the latency issue when recording vocals. I use one of the aux sends on my mixer to send a dry vocal signal to my headphone distribution amp. (Furman HDX-6). If we want reverb on the vocals in the headphone mix, I'll patch in an external reverb unit (Lexicon). The dry vocal signal goes into Pro Tools. I mute the vocal signal coming out of Pro Tools so that the singer only hears the remaining tracks in what I call the "tape" channel in the headphone mix. He/she can separately adjust the volume of the vocal and everything else by turning knobs on the Furman Headphone Remote Mixing Station located in the vocal booth.

I have a dinosaur of a PT computer, and am using a pretty old version of Pro Tools, but with this setup, I don't need to use a low sample buffer when tracking, and there is no latency to the vocal signal heard in the headphone mix. I use the same setup when tracking guitar overdubs.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songwritersoul View Post
It is nice to be able to track vocals with a hint of reverb, but I could certainly do without if it meant saving a lot of money on a rig. Won't surprise me at all if about the time I retire, my HDX system will be considered a dinosaur. Reason number 42 for why to wait until I'm closer to retirement to actually start dropping money. My current system was a huge leap forward compared to its predecessor and I don't have issues with it 70% of the time with PT so I'm guessing and hoping this next build will be my last one I'll need to do for hopefully a couple decades.
Understand that you may be able to track with verb with HDN, It really depends on what your personal tolerance level is for delay because everybody is different . And also small amount system induced delay may not be all that different from a small amount of reverb with virtually no system delay

Honestly the main reason I continued tracked dry in HDN was because I started with PTLE back in 2003 so it became a habit which stayed when I got HDN in 2011

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...