Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-21-2009, 04:59 PM

Default 192 not recognized from Core card, but IS from Accel Card. Advice?

Hello all,

In the middle of a session and upon startup, Protools is saying " no interface can be found ". The order of my cards from bottom to top in a PowerPC G5 is Graphics card, HD Core, HD Accel.

I checked the ribbon cable and re-seated the cards. I only have one interface. When I connect the interface to the Accel card, Protools loads fine.

Both cards show up in the system usage window, just that the accel card is first, then the Core card.

Is there any reason for NOT keeping it this way? As far as DSP is allocated etc? Does it matter at all?

I can't fully troubleshoot right now, and things seem to be working fine as is, but any info I can troubleshoot with later would be great.

So to sum up:

Any detriment to DSP or PT behavior having my sole 192 hooked up to the Accel card instead of the Core card?

Is the order of cards correct? (Stock graphics card, HD Core, HD Accel)

Will Protools blow up if I keep it this way? haha

Thanks in advance
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 12-21-2009, 11:22 PM

Default Re: 192 not recognized from Core card, but IS from Accel Card. Advice?

Hi...I run PTHD 3 and had the same situation going on after changing a mac pro (interface recognized from accel card instead from core card). It worked fine with no issues as I was able to run old sessions from before with all of the plugins and hw inserts. Long story short, it's just the orientation of the flex cable connecting core and accel card. If you revers it (flex cable), your interface should be seen by the system when hooked up to the core card. Eventually I reversed the order of the flex cables to have interface connected to core card simply to avoid any confusion in scenario when I take macpro to different facilities. Hope this helps...
Old 12-21-2009, 11:38 PM

Yes the direction for flex cable is counter-intuitive, it needs to go from connector B (core) to connector A (accel) and not the way most everyone would guess.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekhan View Post
Hi...I run PTHD 3 and had the same situation going on after changing a mac pro (interface recognized from accel card instead from core card). It worked fine with no issues as I was able to run old sessions from before with all of the plugins and hw inserts. Long story short, it's just the orientation of the flex cable connecting core and accel card. If you revers it (flex cable), your interface should be seen by the system when hooked up to the core card. Eventually I reversed the order of the flex cables to have interface connected to core card simply to avoid any confusion in scenario when I take macpro to different facilities. Hope this helps...
Hmm, I thought I made sure the flex cable was correct. Ill give it a second look. But to clarify tho, as far as DSP allocation goes, Im not losing anything by having the Accel Card be my " master " so to speak, am I ?

It would be a PITA to take apart my rig at the moment so I just wanna make sure that Im not causing any physical or " virtual " harm by leaving it as is temporarily.

Thanks!
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 PM

I'm having the same issue with accel card running but the core card is not. Was the flex cable order the problem?
Ross Martin Super Beast
Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2.66Ghz 16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.6
http://www.keith-moore.org
Old 05-24-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Everest View Post
Hmm, I thought I made sure the flex cable was correct. Ill give it a second look. But to clarify tho, as far as DSP allocation goes, Im not losing anything by having the Accel Card be my " master " so to speak, am I ?

It would be a PITA to take apart my rig at the moment so I just wanna make sure that Im not causing any physical or " virtual " harm by leaving it as is temporarily.

Thanks!
Any chance that if you discovered this as the problem? We are having the same issue on a different thread: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...=274763&page=2 I just opened up my computer and the manual and I swear the flex cable is right. But maybe I'll check again.

EDIT: HA HA. Keith beat me to the question. By the way, it is the fact that the flex cable is wrong. Likely you may have followed the pictures in a manual that were wrong. The latest "Getting Started document" has the pictures correct, but my Getting Started Manual that came with 7.3 has the pictures all messed up. I explain and post a picture on the link I posted above in post #17.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio