Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2009, 08:59 AM

Default iLok - Pace MIA?

Has anyone else had zero response from Pace for an RMA (missing iLok)?

We put in an RMA over 5 weeks ago. After getting no response within their 3 day window, we followed up with a trouble ticket AND and phone call to Pace.

BTW, when you call Pace's number, you get a voice message saying that Pace dos not have phone support!

Anyone have a successful RMA go through? Has Pace fallen off the planet?

Fortunately for us, this is not our only iLok. But, it does have the bulk of our licenses :-(

Hassan
Old 02-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Default Re: iLok - Pace MIA?

I'm having a similar problem...

I submitted an RMA for a broken iLok, posted the broken iLok to them the same day. International shipping. My temporary licenses now have only 2 days left on them, and I only just this morning got a response to one of my frequent requests for updates on the status of my RMA process. PACE have said they have yet to receive my broken iLok and that they will "keep an eye out for the package."

I'm panicking because I'm in the middle of an important project. Shouldn't PACE have a system where they alert the customer if a broken iLok doesn't arrive within a certain time frame? I now have 2 days in which to chase all the license manufacturers to beg for replacement licenses. Valuable time lost. Or chase the postal service trying to track the package. Valuable time lost. Search the internet for other people's experiences with iLok and possible solutions. Valuable time lost.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:38 AM

Well, that is bittersweet to hear. Sad to know that you are in a similar boat with them. Good to know that we are not alone.

So, while one can always run down and purchase another iLok, the problem lies in the fact that until the RMA process completes (ball in their court), you cannot access your licenses for transfer to that new iLok.

I feel sorry for the studio whose primary iLok fails on them (say, it has your Pro Tools license as opposed to just a ton of Plugins).

Hope that Pace gets back with you promptly. Actually, I do not understand the need for them to have your iLok in hand before getting started. According to their FAQ, as soon as the process begins, all manufacturers are notified AND, the iLok itself is marked and will disable itself on next attempted use. That should suffice.

In your case as well as ours, the transfer to a new iLok should already be in process without a more than 3 day delay (say, to assure that someone is not trying to takeover licenses belonging to another).

This is our 5th week - absolutely unacceptable from a company that one has no choice but to do business with. This is bad business considering that iLok is the critical hub in running so many studio essentials.

It would be different if our studio manager had gotten an email or phone call back from them... Nada (save the auto-generated responses).

Better luck on your end...

Hassan
Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM

I am working with few studios that sent iLoks for replacement under the zero downtime insurance. They had no problem. got new ilok in few days. everything worked perfectly. hope not need them again.

Rafi
Old 02-21-2009, 12:31 PM

I've seen a number of PACE complaints on the DUC over the years, but this is the first time I've ever heard them to be just plain unresponsive. I've used the RMA process a couple of times and always found them to be right on it. I'm surprised and sorry to see anyone having a problem like this. If they're not returning emails in a timely manner, that's just plain inexcuseable. Just out of curiosity, are you guys based in the States, or did the iloks get sent internationally? Regular post or something like FedEx?

I only raise this because I've heard you're always better off using a private carrier like FedEx/UPS/DHL. PACE always uses FedEx when they send a new ilok out to me. An added benefit of using one of the private carriers is that they are good about paying insurance money. You can insure your ilok on the way out for the value of the ilok and the ilok assets. If the ilok is lost in transit, you'll get enough money to replace your plug-ins and software apps like Pro Tools. I know this information doesn't help you at this point, but it may be helpful to others who'll be sending iloks to PACE in the future.