Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2015, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 12hd upgrade questions??

I can confirm this. Here's MY story....

I have a friend who sold me his entire PT HD3 TDM rig. A core card, two accel cards, two HD192 blue face interfaces, a Control 24, and his Pro Tools HD 10 iLok asset. I planned to upgrade from 10 to 12, and take advantage of the trade-in that expires December 31st to upgrade everything to an HDX Card, HD I/O, C24, etc.

My friend thought he was being nice and upgraded his iLok asset from PT 10 HD to PT 12/11/10 with upgrade and support plan for $600 bucks prior to selling me his legacy PT HD TDM system. I was grateful that he undertook the $600 charge to upgrade to PT12 and enroll in the Upgrade and Support plan.

So, the next day, he forfeits his PT 10 HD license, upgrades to PT 12 HD and I bought all of his Pro Tools HD TDM gear, including his iLok. He filled out a Transfer of Ownership form, we both signed it, and paid the additional fee for an ASC code to submit it to Avid.

I was PISSED to receive correspondence from Avid indicating that a Transfer of Ownership of the iLok license was NOT possible since he upgraded to Pro Tools 12 several hours before submitting the Transfer of Ownership!!! They confirmed that because he upgraded from PT 10 HD to PT 12 HD, it would not be possible for him to sell me his iLok asset.

So, now, I'm stuck with my friends iLok asset that's in his name, and I will never ever be able to get this iLok asset (which I paid for) registered to my name and in my iLok account.

Last edited by conrad787; 12-22-2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-22-2015, 12:18 PM

This is especially bizarre and alarming in that it was previously AVIDs policy that HD hardware and software MUST be sold together as a complete system.

When did this policy officially change???

It makes no sense....
Old 12-22-2015, 12:21 PM

THIS IS AVID's CURRENT TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP FORM:

Whats the deal AVID?

Pro Tools HD software and Systems
Avid will transfer ownership of Pro Tools HD systems and software. This will change the registered owner, move iLok licenses to the buyer’s iLok account, and provide applicable software downloads in the buyer’s Avid account. In order to be eligible for Pro Tools HD transfer of ownership:
• The seller must be a registered owner of both Pro Tools HD software AND a Pro Tools HD core system (HD TDM, HDX, HD Native, or an HD Native Thunderbolt) and is transferring ownership of BOTH the core and Pro Tools HD software.*
• Or, the seller must be a registered owner of Pro Tools and Complete Production Toolkit that was upgraded to Pro Tools HD 11. If one of the two above eligibility requirements is met, then follow the below steps:
1. If you do currently not have an active Avid Support Code, complete an order on the Avid store for an Avid Support Code: Pro Tools HD for $79.95 (limit of 5 HD license bundles per ASC).
2. Complete this transfer of ownership form and attach it to an ASC support case at http://avid.force.com/ASC.
3. As the seller, you MUST deactivate all listed licenses from an iLok key so that they are in the account only.
4. Avid will send a confirmation e-mail to both the seller and the buyer when the transaction is completed.
*Pro Tools HD 8 and lower version HD software is transferable via the iLok License Manager application. If you do not wish to have Avid document a change in ownership, you may simply use the iLok License Manager application to transfer the iLok licenses to another account. Pro Tools HD 9 and later must be done by Avid and meet the above stated requirements.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:30 PM

Agree with all of you but it has been posted by Avid and a lot of members here that people on the Support Plan versions of PT12 can NOT be transfered right now. If they plan on making it soo in the future who knows but after PT12HD came out it has been touted to death that those versions are non-transferable.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-22-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Agree with all of you but it has been posted by Avid and a lot of members here that people on the Support Plan versions of PT12 can NOT be transfered right now. If they plan on making it soo in the future who knows but after PT12HD came out it has been touted to death that those versions are non-transferable.
I don't disagree with you that is has been posted...BUT...it is in direct conflict with their actual policy.

Honestly, I would actually think the official 'transfer of ownership form' trumps some posts by various members on a user forum.

Either way there are 2 sets of information out there and they really need to stay on top of these sloppy business practices.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:49 PM

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...Form_43702.pdf

To the Seller of Digidesign equipment and software:
Digidesign Pro Tools core hardware systems include Pro Tools software and must be transferred and registered as a single unit. Pro Tools TDM core systems include Pro Tools|HD, Pro Tools|24 MIX, and Pro Tools|24. Pro Tools LE core systems: 003 Family, Mbox 2 Family, Digi 002 Family, Mbox, Digi 001, AMIII. If you sell your master Pro Tools system core card (primary HD core, Mix core, d24, Pro Tools III Disk I/O card) or Pro Tools LE Core hardware, the Pro Tools software license will be transferred along with the core hardware from your record, and upon transfer you will no longer be eligible for software updates or upgrades associated with the core hardware sold.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUNDDECISION View Post
I don't disagree with you that is has been posted...BUT...it is in direct conflict with their actual policy.

Honestly, I would actually think the official 'transfer of ownership form' trumps some posts by various members on a user forum.

Either way there are 2 sets of information out there and they really need to stay on top of these sloppy business practices.
Sad to tell you that the TOO form explicitly states this policy

"*Please note that Pro Tools software products that have been upgraded to the newer 2015 support plans and newer Pro Tools products which include
2015 support plans are not currently available for transfer."

and again in the HD section of the form....
"*Please note that Pro Tools HD software products that have been upgraded to the newer 2015 support plans and newer Pro Tools HD products which
include 2015 support plans are not currently available for transfer."

Has been this way since last October. Not saying it doesn't suck but it was always on the current form... again - another reason I sold my HD Native V11 system and left the HD platform.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 12-22-2015, 12:57 PM

http://avid.force.com/pkb/servlet/fi...BEi0000000LNzq
Old 12-22-2015, 01:01 PM

And just to clarify ..... from what AVID is now saying....

Is it true if you buy a new HD system today.... you can never actually sell it ???!?!?
Old 12-22-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Sad to tell you that the TOO form explicitly states this policy

I think the issue is they actually still have the OLD form active on some of the links....

http://avid.force.com/pkb/servlet/fi...BEi0000000LNzq

That disclaimer is not in the version on this link...they need to take that down