Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Procedure to Transfer Used Hardware/Software

This what I get from Avid: We can't transfer licenses to different iLok accounts, but you can do that using the iLok License Manager application.... and: There will also be a $25 fee from iLok transfer licenses to a different account.

My reply: I get that but the PT10 HD license on my iLok account says: Allow Transfer: No. You guys need to set it to: Yes.

Yes, I know this. Avid needs to set the Allow Transfer to: Yes at iLok. THIS IS THE ISSUE! Check your own policy please!

Jeeeesh! Get your act together on this AVID!

SIMPLE: ALLOPW TRANSFER: YES.

Dont you get it yet? I am NOT paying $80.00 to you just to see if this is possible. Still So Pissed!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 AM

CONFIRMED: Its all about the money with Avid.

Here is the response to my registration support ticket I filed:

Please know that in order for a Pro Tools 9 or 10 HD license to be transferred, it first needs to be deactivated by yourself. Right click on the license in the license manager and choose deactivate. Also, please send us your iLok username and the username of the new owner.

We will then require an Avid Support Code for HD. If we have your consent we will use one of the complimentary support codes that you were given. (With my new Native HD system I just purchased)

Once all the above are done, we will be able to transfer the license for you.

SO VERY KIND OF YOU AVID!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:47 PM

Just had a wonderful telephone conversation with a Avid CS Rep, he called me today and wanted to sincerely apologize for the PT10HD license transfer snafu. He told me they all watched the Podcast I did and were very concerned about what I said about the issue. (he also said they were thrilled by my openness on the issue) He told me it made them very aware and concerned about this problem and they really want to make good on it.

I am thrilled they reached out to me and thanked him very much for doing so. So, there you have it. I think all will be OK so now I rest. -Frank
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 PM

So, as of now, we'll have to purchase a support code, and will then be able to transfer the Pro Tools HD license, only with hardware, I presume?

But hopefully, they'll waive that because they want to "make good" on this?

Still aren't quite clear.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:57 PM

I have had two phone calls from Avid this week on this issue, which I am still waiting to have resolved. My iLok asset is still locked from transfer. They told me they are working with Pace to get this worked out. I still believe it's a Avid issue but they have to inform Pace of the change on a case by case basis. The actual "Transfer" setting on iLok is a global setting so switching mine would switch all the same licenses for everyone. I'm hoping Avid just sets mine to null and send a new license to the person I want to transfer the PT9/10 bundle license to. They did not indicate this would cost me any money.

Fill out a registration issue request at Avid support online (it's free) and this creates a case number. Explain what you are trying to do in detail and then they have it on record. Hope this helps. -Frank
Old 07-15-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recordist View Post
Just had a wonderful telephone conversation with a Avid CS Rep, he called me today and wanted to sincerely apologize for the PT10HD license transfer snafu. He told me they all watched the Podcast I did and were very concerned about what I said about the issue. (he also said they were thrilled by my openness on the issue) He told me it made them very aware and concerned about this problem and they really want to make good on it.

I am thrilled they reached out to me and thanked him very much for doing so. So, there you have it. I think all will be OK so now I rest. -Frank
It seems incredible that it took something like a podcast to get Avids attention when this particular issue has been raised in their own forum.

For a minute I saw flurry of activity here on the DUC with posts from Avid representatives Re: PT11 release, iLok balls up. Now it takes a podcast to get their attention? WTF?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM

and still no official word on this.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:40 PM

I've been in the same boat for the past week. I am furious. I sold two HD2 systems to two different people. When I attempted to transfer the HD 9 licenses, I got the same run around from Avid as others on this thread.

On Avid's own website, in a document that used to be here until a few days ago:
http://www.avid.com/US/support/transfer/audio, it specifically said that I must transfer the software license when I sell the hardware.

Quote:
Pro Tools License
The Pro Tools license is included with Pro Tools core hardware systems and cannot be sold separately (this includes any upgrades to the Pro Tools software). If you sell a core system, the included Pro Tools license then becomes the property of the new owner, and all future update and upgrade rights are transferred as well.
The seller is responsible for providing all Pro Tools software and Pro Tools authorizations for that software that should be included with a used core system.
Infuriatingly, when I pointed out this document to Avid, it is suddenly replaced (note the July 11, update date on the replacement doc), and that wording is gone in the new document.

If anyone gets any resolution with this, I would love to have the contact of the person at Avid who could resolve it because I'm not getting any satisfactory response from them at all.

-Richard

www.TakomaMedia.com
Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 PM

I have not seen or heard any movement on this recently. I talked to a East Coast Tech and a West Coast Support Guy and have not heard anything in over a week. I will email them and find out what's going on. I can only assume they people I talked to are waiting for upper management to make their move on this. Management, they never like to make important decisions quickly... Come on guys DO WHAT'S RIGHT! We are waiting... for now.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 AM

I found that doc. it should be a hyphen at the end, not a slash.

http://www.avid.com/US/support/transfer-audio

Avid, follow your own rules.

www.TakomaMedia.com