Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2023, 01:46 PM

Default Pro Tools HD Native PCIe compatibility with last Pro Tools Studio software

Hello everyone,
Do you know whether Pro Tools HD Native PCIe card is compatible with the software Pro Tools Studio or do I have the obligation to go to Pro Tools Ultimate ?

I would like to update my computer, a Mac Pro from mid 2010, and so I will have to update to my Pro Tools software, a Pro Tools HD 10.
I don't have the use of the Pro Tools Ultimate software, Pro Tools Studio is enough for me.
I have a Pro Tools HD Native PCIe card on which is cabled a Pro Tools IO.

If not possible, what is the possibility to connect my Pro Tools IO to my computer which is compatible with Pro Tools Studio ?

Sorry for my question, might be a beginner question.

Thanks,
Have a great week-end
Old 01-27-2023, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD Native PCIe compatibility with last Pro Tools Studio software

Unfortunately nothing has changed with Pro Tools since HD10. You will still need an ultimate license to use Pro Tools HD I/O. If you are the registered owner of HD10, you can still buy reinstatement plans which will upgrade you to the current version of Ultimate and give you any further updates for the following 12 months.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/avid_pr...e_download.htm
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD Native PCIe compatibility with last Pro Tools Studio software

If you don't need ultimate do you need HD Native/DigiLink? Do you want to put up with using an external Thunderbolt chassis? (or trying to buy a HD Native Thunderbolt box?). Including dealing with problems Avid is apparently having with supporting cards these on Apple Silicon based Macs. If you don't *need* this (e.g. video sync) you might be better off selling what you have now and buying a CoreAudio interface. RME is my personal goto interface vendor but there are lots of great companies out there, and for most users it's benefits not disadvantages of moving off DigiLink to third party CoreAudio/ASIO interfaces. Also selling DigiLink stuff now while it still had higher value might be a good idea.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-27-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:33 PM

Totally agree with Darryl's advice(and I run Ultimate with HDN and 192) Take a look at the current feature set of Studio software to see what you may or may not give up as many features that were HD-only with 10 are now included in studio

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-28-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Unfortunately nothing has changed with Pro Tools since HD10. You will still need an ultimate license to use Pro Tools HD I/O. If you are the registered owner of HD10, you can still buy reinstatement plans which will upgrade you to the current version of Ultimate and give you any further updates for the following 12 months.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/avid_pr...e_download.htm

@LDS, Thank you so much for your answer. does it mean that when I buy it, the reinstatement plan that you mentioned, afterwards I will have it forever, just like Pro Tools HD 10 that I still use, without having to pay every month for the subscription ? Do you know whether this reinstatement is going to be closed soon ? In France there is currently a promotion which is 429€, it's the Pro Tools Ultimate Upgrade (from Pro Tools HD) + 12 months of updates, then it goes back to 729€, but it seems like it might the last stock or something, maybe that's why there is a promotion. Here is the link, it looks the same as Thomann's link you sent me :

https://www.sonovente.com/avid-upgrade-pro-tools-ultimate-support-1-an-licence-p72956.html?_mak_partner_id=393&_mak_partner_data= ||c||||&_mak_partner_campaign=G/SRC/FR/fr/Shopping/OK/I/_ROAS_CA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3YaTj9zq_AIVoI9oCR3qcAK CEAQYAiABEgIElPD_BwE

Sorry I can't reply to everyone apparently, it locks when I try to send...

Last edited by JB11; 01-28-2023 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-28-2023, 09:57 AM

If you buy this you will get up to the latest version of ultimate then new releases for 12months, then you stop getting updates unless you pay the annual support/update fee (around US$400). And if you ever don’t keep that plan current and cannot but a renewal in future… you might be stuck.

If you do not already have Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 chassis you will need to get one… around US$600-$900 depending on model… but read DUC about the problems some folks are having with these cards with new Apple Silicon Macs.

If me all this stuff would be on Reverb and I would have a nice new RME or UAD or … interface and Pro Tools Studio.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:36 AM

Hello Darryl,
Thank you very much.
Apparently, you can still use it after the 12 months but you can't update it with the new last versions.
But I wouldn't need the last version, I'm with Pro Tools 10 HD now and I don't update softwares once I have one version of the set that is working, because when you update it can be messy between things and material.
I have a mid 2010 Mac Pro that a friend of mine knows how to tune to get the most out of it, with replacement of processor, etc. So my HD Native card is in it and it works. I will not change the computer I think as I'm happy with it.
Thanks a lot for the advice about the interfaces, if I find a solution to not change it I'll be ok I guess, maybe one day I'll think about getting a new one.
Thanks once again,
I hope I can reply to you now, I have tried earlier but it's like you can't send several replies, and when I tried to change the one I already wrote, it didn't work.
Thanks a lot
Old 01-28-2023, 01:32 PM

OK sorry I was misreading your post, mention of Studio I misread as upgrading to Mac Studio as well as Pro Tools Studio.

If you are happy where you are then just stay there.

Technically with Mojave support possible on your Mac Pro (with a Metal compatible GPU) you could upgrade to macOS Mojave and be able to run recent versions of Pro Tools Studio but again, not with a DigiLink interface. The major macOS upgrade you need to do to support Pro Tools Studio alone may be reasons not to do that.

Eventually you may move to at a native Silicon Mac, at that time I sure would ditch any DigiLink hardware.

The reply problems is anti-spam filtering on the forum, unfortunately it's needed to stop spammers who sign up for a new account and just post spam and then disappear.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB11 View Post
@LDS, Thank you so much for your answer. does it mean that when I buy it, the reinstatement plan that you mentioned, afterwards I will have it forever, just like Pro Tools HD 10 that I still use, without having to pay every month for the subscription ? Do you know whether this reinstatement is going to be closed soon ? In France there is currently a promotion which is 429€, it's the Pro Tools Ultimate Upgrade (from Pro Tools HD) + 12 months of updates, then it goes back to 729€, but it seems like it might the last stock or something, maybe that's why there is a promotion. Here is the link, it looks the same as Thomann's link you sent me :

https://www.sonovente.com/avid-upgrade-pro-tools-ultimate-support-1-an-licence-p72956.html?_mak_partner_id=393&_mak_partner_data= ||c||||&_mak_partner_campaign=G/SRC/FR/fr/Shopping/OK/I/_ROAS_CA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3YaTj9zq_AIVoI9oCR3qcAK CEAQYAiABEgIElPD_BwE

Sorry I can't reply to everyone apparently, it locks when I try to send...

Yeah, that seems to be the right one. If in doubt, giving them a quick call to check that it is a perpetual license upgrade (and not a crossgrade to an ultimate subscription) couldn't hurt.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 01-28-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Technically with Mojave support possible on your Mac Pro (with a Metal compatible GPU) you could upgrade to macOS Mojave and be able to run recent versions of Pro Tools Studio but again, not with a DigiLink interface. The major macOS upgrade you need to do to support Pro Tools Studio alone may be reasons not to do that.

You can upgrade those old 5,1 machines right up to Ventura with very little effort. You just need an Polaris or Vega series AMD graphics card (personally, I would stick with Polaris card like an RX560 - RX580 as the power requirements are better suited to what is available in the 5,1), and to slap your MacOS USB installer with Opencore Legacy Patcher.

Apple really have depreciated those old machines of quite silly and superficial grounds.