Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2018, 11:10 AM

Default Field Recorder Workflow

Quick question, does it matter how many folders deep wav files are buried for the indexing to drill down into them?

I've just received a new AAF and field recorder workflow is not working correctly on this one.
When I index my Sound Rushes folder the indexing is almost instant.
Can it really be looking at all the files in that time?

This is a feature film, so a lot of files.

Thanks

Ps I'm using 2018.1 (not in my sig yet)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Field Recorder Workflow

It tends to be quicker with match criteria than with timecode. Not sure though as far as I know it will search which ever folder you index.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Thanks Melloj,

Hmm, So if you change the match criteria to just timecode, will it re-index based on that?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:32 PM

To be honest I'm not sure, but it seems to do a more thorough search. If you've not seen it I'd suggest Paul Maunders video on youtube he covers the work flow in detail. You might find thd answer your looking for.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Thanks Melloj,

Hmm, So if you change the match criteria to just timecode, will it re-index based on that?
Matching to timecode only will give you a lot of errors, dealing with many shooting days. Select some not so populated track to try different match criteria combination. Another trick is to move all your rushes into your PT session (yeah, I know) and retry the field recorded function thing again...why does it sometimes help? I do not know, but it does (well, sometimes).
Or get yourself EdiLoad, ask the editor for the audio EDL and you`ll be fine
Old 02-14-2018, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
When I index my Sound Rushes folder the indexing is almost instant.
That does sound like something's wrong.

Below is a copy paste of a tried and trusted workflow. The relevant bit is the first bit. It's best to start with a fresh index without any session open. If that doesn't work there may be an issue with your files.

With no session open, delete the index of the soundrolls folder in the workspace. Then index the soundrolls folder in the workspace and wait until it finishes in the task window (This should not be instant) Then open the AAF

Delete all fades (Edit menu)

Make one new blank track and make it a "field recorder guide track". Name the track "1"

Make the "Match criteria" Scene and Take ticked. Other productions may require different settings but this works 99% of the time.

"Select Areas to Search" and add the soundrolls folder then "Save" (Not "Save & Index" as this can cause a crash) Wait whilst it thinks for a while

Move up the contents of track 1 of the AAF to the this new track. Again, Pro Tools may need a while to think about things here.

Expand to new tracks by match criteria

Repeat for the other tracks

Save and close

Temporarily rename the Avid media folder so the session cant find any Avid media

Reopen session. All Avid media will be offline, good, don't relink

"Select offline" in the clip list then "Clear selected"

You're left with just the soundrolls on the timeline

Tidy up a bit (Delete all automation)

Some productions may require a "fix sync" (using Titan if you have it) depending on the recorder used

Cherry on the cake - Use "Defaulter" plug-in
Old 02-14-2018, 02:54 PM

Interesting Simon thanks.
There's a couple of steps there that I've not used and I have done this on several films with great success, but not this one for some reason.

Thanks for sending the thorough step by step, I'll give it another go when I get a minute.

Cheers