Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-09-2017, 09:39 PM

Default Sandra Issues

Hello everyone,
This is my first time here. Just installed Pro Tools and have no experience with any type of DAW. That being said, after reading most of the "let's get started" Stuff in this community. I downloaded and installed Sandra to post my specs, But it doesn't load. It just keeps crashing.

"SiSoftware Sandra Agent Service (NT)(Unicode) has stopped working" The only option is to close the program.

Here are my basic specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: B250M-DS3H
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/24/17 17:46:13 Ver: 05.0000C
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G4560 @ 3.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8080MB RAM
Old 11-09-2017, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Sandra Issues

Welcome to DUC. Great job trying to start with Sandra, but if you want help you need to tell us what is going on.

1. What is the actual problem you are having that you are trying to solve?

2. What exact Sandra software and version did you install?

You should install Sandra Lite 2017 SP2, e.g. from http://filehippo.com/download_sandra_lite/

SiSoft don't have the brains to sign their software installers or provide checksums and there are sites I would not trust downloading the installers from.

I'm not normally a fan of AV software, but any Sandra installer is sure something I'd scan.

All you should be doing in Sandra is running a computer overview report. If a computer can't run that it is normally a sign of bad problems and the next step is likely to do a full clean Windows install. And better to do a full clean genuine Windows 10 install, not use an OEM recovery disk/partition.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:28 PM

Hey Darryl,
Thank you for the response!

I don't really have an specific problems that I'm trying to solve at this point. I'm just new to all of this and thought I'd join the community and scour for tips on how to use the software the came with my Focusrite. i.e., Pro Tools.

Specifically trying to learn about the different plugins. the piano one for example I can barely hear, while the drums and bass are much louder. I'm referring to the "House" Template. I don't even know how to find plugins in the program at this point. That's how new I am. Maybe there are other piano plugins in pro tools other than the one that's in that template that I don't know about yet.

I was just trying to follow the instructions to be able to post in the future. I uninstalled Sandra and tried to use the link you provided and got another error that I've attached. Your link http://filehippo.com/download_sandra_lite/ gives me the page I attached.

I'm thinking I don't really HAVE to install Sandra if I provide the info you need some other way right?

Sorry about the attachment, I have 2 monitors and didn't realize they were both in the picture. I'm hoping I can just update my signature will all the pertinent information for any future issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Link.jpg (19.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by beauknowsdiddly; 11-09-2017 at 11:31 PM. Reason: crappy attachment
Old 11-10-2017, 12:36 AM

I can't read your screenshot and don't know what is throwing that warning. Now you know what you are after you can also try other download sites.

You don't need to provide Sandra or anything else until you are trying to seek help for a problem/question. But it's still good to know it works.

DUC is not a place for getting detailed introductory help/handholding. It's a place for specific quick questions and answers.

What you should be doing is finding tutorials on things you have questions about, like basic use of virtual instruments with Pro Tools. YouTube is full of lots of these great videos, and many will use Mini Grand as an example VI. Take one thing at a time and work though learning by following those tutorials. There are other basic tutorials about basic recording stuff.

The Pro Tools Reference Guide is large but worth a read. Findable online.

There is also paid Pro Tools content on sources like Lynda.com, Groove3 and others. Pro Tools classes and books like Pro Tools 101, and lots of good general audio recording content like Alan Parson's Art and Science of Sound Recording.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:34 PM

Awesome! Thank you Darryl I will absolutely check ALL that out!
Old 11-10-2017, 02:38 PM

Welcome to the madhouse I suspect it won't take long for you to decide the stock templates are not very useful. Not sure if they have updated, but there used to be a book/manual called Pro Tools Ignite. If you can find that in a revision that covers PT12, its likely to be an excellent resource. I remember it being written in a way that takes you thru very specific tutorials that made learning really good(back in the stone age of LE7)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-11-2017, 03:02 AM

Thanks for the advise Albee, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I don't see a Pro Tools Ignite for 12. Found a Pro Tools Ignite 10 and an 11. No 12. I've been trying to follow a bunch of youtube tutorials but it seems most have a different version. It's sometimes hard to follow along because it seems they have buttons I don't... But Ima tryin'!! lol

Thanks again...

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel B250 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/24/17 17:46:13 Ver: 05.0000C
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G4560 @ 3.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8080MB RAM

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
Pro-Tools 12.8.2
Old 11-11-2017, 05:29 AM

Lynda.com is much better than YouTube and won't waste your time. Very deep and detailed and teaches about lots of subjects. Small exact lessons for newbies!Also Try the free lessons at Puremix.net for more general DAW, engineering and pro tools info. a reliable, quality resource. YouTube is filled with people who want to hear themselves talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NomadicWax.com
Old 11-11-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notable View Post
Lynda.com is much better than YouTube and won't waste your time. Very deep and detailed and teaches about lots of subjects. Small exact lessons for newbies!Also Try the free lessons at Puremix.net for more general DAW, engineering and pro tools info. a reliable, quality resource. YouTube is filled with people who want to hear themselves talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
True^^ but you also might look at joining Pro Tools Expert. As you get started down this rabbit hole, even tutorials from older versions are of value for tons of basic help

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-11-2017, 01:04 PM

I like wasting my time on YouTube... you get used to skipping bad content, and previewing at 2X speed helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk