Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-03-2017, 03:39 AM

Default Need switch settings for Mbox, Ensoniq SQ1

Years ago, I had a basement studio running Windows/Cakewalk with an Ensoniq SQ1. I shut it down to raise kids, and now that they're grown and gone, I want to start it up again, on Mac this time.
I need the basic switch settings to allow ProTools to drive that same keyboard, via an Mbox.
For now, I'm on Pro Tools First. If I can figure that out, I'll upgrade.
Can anyone please help?
Old 11-03-2017, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Need switch settings for Mbox, Ensoniq SQ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineerer View Post
Years ago, I had a basement studio running Windows/Cakewalk with an Ensoniq SQ1. I shut it down to raise kids, and now that they're grown and gone, I want to start it up again, on Mac this time.
I need the basic switch settings to allow ProTools to drive that same keyboard, via an Mbox.
For now, I'm on Pro Tools First. If I can figure that out, I'll upgrade.
Can anyone please help?
Some of this you probably know but I'll mention it just for the sake of completeness & clarity.

MIDI interface - you'll need one. I'm assuming you're going to use the Ensoniq as both a sound module and also note entry. If so turn off 'local on' on the keyboard so you don't get MIDI echo.

Audio interface - also going to need one to get the Ensoniq sounds back into PT. As to settings for that you'll need to consult the manual for the interface. Also make sure whatever interface you get supports the OSX version on your Mac.

Getting the Mac to recognize your keyboard as MIDI input - you need to set that up in OSX audio/MIDI setup. Apple has great help on how to do that and again also consult the manual for whatever MIDI interface you have for how to make it work with OSX.

As to getting PT to recognize your audio interface probably the simplest would be to hold down the 'n' key on your computer's keyboard as PT starts and you should get a dialog box that comes up asking you to select your audio interface. And please don't use your PT audio interface to burp out system alert sounds - it could be a rude awakening if you have an alert sound come out when recording or mixing.

I to am an ex-Sonarite as I started with Sonar 3 then 5 and finally 8 (Producer versions all) on a WinXP machine. I jumped ship to PT when Cakewalk introduced Sonar 8.3 and I would have needed a new computer so I said the heck with this and went Mac and never looked back. I don't know about you but I was jazzed when Cake announced they were working on a Mac version of Sonar as I have several old projects I wouldn't mind revisiting. Then that house of cards came tumbling down when after I think it was two years of hearing and not hearing about even the release of the alpha version they cancelled the project. Cakewalk/Gibson cheaped out when they used a translator program to do the coding rather than giving it the proper resources.

And don't even get me started on how Sony screwed up the Mac version of Soundforge.

QAPLA!
Old 11-05-2017, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Need switch settings for Mbox, Ensoniq SQ1

I'm a PC user, but can only imagine there must be tons of similarities. With a PC, the critical part of getting midi to work lies in the Midi Studio menu. In that menu, you must create an "instrument"(your keyboard) and assign the midi ports for input and output(the brand and model settings are not required). That way, Pro Tools knows where to "look for" midi data coming in, and where to send it if you need midi to "drive" your keyboard(if you wish to use sounds in the keyboard).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave