Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 10-07-2017, 07:24 AM

Default Insights needed on my setup with Focusrite 2i2

Hello to all experts and forum members out there.

I'm trying to get accustomed to Pro Tools First with no prior knowledge in this field. I "play" guitar and I am planning on using PTS to record my practicing and some riffs/etc
I would like to share some recording with you to get your opinion if what I am doing is on the right "track" or not.

My setup is the following:
- Ibanez prestige guitar with 2 humbuckers (dimarzio) -> cable (a "good enough" one) -> Focusrite scarlett 2i2 -> USB -> Laptop with OSX -> ProToolsFirst 12.8
- PTS is set up with a simple Track with no plugins at volume 0, and a master without plugins with volume 0. See the attached screenshot.
- the 2i2 has the gain at about 40-45%, set to INST of course.

With my limited knowledge, I can assert that I have four basic places where I can tune this chain:
- the volume knob of my guitar
- the gain knob on my interface
- the volume of the input track
- the volume of my master

I have three clipping indicators:
- my 2i2, not clipping
- the master and input track on PT, both not clipping

I will link two samples that I did to try to give you a sense of what I am hearing. In both I am changing the volume knob of the guitar and picking notes at the same strength:
- https://vocaroo.com/i/s1huB7tQRo1S neck humb parallel connected
- https://vocaroo.com/i/s11BCRydNDBf both humb connected

Now, come my doubts/thoughts for which I would welcome any pointers from you:
- I have no experience but when I look at the recording waves, they look to me pretty "flat".
- To me the records feels noisy or too low. The more I turn up the guitar knob (I recorded a single note while turning up the guitar knob), the more noisy
- The less I set my gain on the 2i2, the less volume I get on my recording (of course you would say), however the more I turn it up, the more clipping and noise. 40-50% (where I am now) allows me to play some strumming without clipping (unless I really "hit 'em hard").
- Having heard some samples produced by the 2i2 I think I am not producing the same quality. I am aware that my interface is not a professional one, but I thought I could get something more out of it. I think the main limitation is my knowledge and not the interface at this point.
- I was thinking to get a DI box (like the behringer di 100) to reduce noise and being able to crank up my gain on the 2i2 without clipping (..so is my understanding), but I lack the experience to understand if what I am already getting is good or bad or would benefit.
- Am I missing some part of the equation, some basic settings?

I thank you in advance for your help and guidance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 4.17.11 PM.jpg (44.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Insights needed on my setup with Focusrite 2i2

You mentioned that the fader on the audio track to which you're recording is set at unity ("0"). That makes no difference for input. What you want to pay attention to is the signal meter going into the audio track with the record button armed. What will affect that level is your input gain stack. In this case, if I understand your signal chain correctly, you've got the volume out knob on your guitar and the volume input knob on the 2i2. The volume knobs on the input track and the Master control what you hear through your monitors and/or headphones, so they're not part of the equation as far as recording signal is concerned. If you're getting noise, you might try backing off the volume on the guitar, but increasing it on the 2i2 to get the signal into PT. I'm not familiar with the guitar set up you have, but don't you also have volume controls for each pickup? You need to find the right balance between the various volume inputs to get a good sounding signal.

You might take at look at this video for some tips. He's using a Focusrite 6i6, but apropos to your situation.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Thanks Donald.

I was ignoring that the volume of the input track on PT was not affecting the recording.
How can I check for clipping then? I have an indicator on my 2i2 which I can trust (or not), and on PT I have a clipping indicator, but that depends on the volume I set on my input track.

I was familiar with that video and I can confirm I am following the same workflow. I got the feeling however that the 2i2 has not so good input/gain handling as opposed to the 6i6 or maybe even the 2i4. If I record guitar with distorsion like in the video I am quite satisfied, but for cleaner sounds (like the ones I attached in my prev message) I am left with a "meh.." feeling. How do they sound to you all?

PS: the guitar has only a master volume and a tone knob: http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_de...201&color=CL01

Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:01 PM

The samples you've provided don't sound too bad to me (as a direct dry guitar signal).

Download a trial version of a guitar amp simulator and insert it on the track, then see what you think.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 10-10-2017, 04:48 PM

To start you want to set your gain by turning the guitar output/ volume knob up to 10. It's a passive attenuator so it's not providing anything other than gain reduction. Then set your input channel gain knob on the Focusrite- peaking at -12 on the meters is a good point to start.
TURN UP YOUR FOCUSRITE MASTER OUT / VOLUME KNOB.
If using headphones and the volume is not enough then the next question is, what type of headphones are you using ?
Old 10-11-2017, 04:39 AM

Thanks to all that replied. Some of my messages were lost in the ether and waiting to be approved by moderators. Now it seems they finally appeared.

Also, let me add some details:
- I use mainly monitors (HS5 Yamaha)
- I have understood that some of the samples I did were with PTF not talking correctly with the 2i2. After fixing it, my hearing (and possibly my recording) improved. I will post some additional samples later today!

Thanks
Old 10-11-2017, 01:25 PM

As promised this is a sample with a guitar totally out of tune (and handled by an unskilled player! me), but sound-wise, I think it's clear enough: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0q868pHKGE4
This was done with this setup: https://postimg.org/image/3umwky3c6j/ (I've learned to do such rerouting the past weekend)

What are your thoughts?

Quote:
To start you want to set your gain by turning the guitar output/ volume knob up to 10. It's a passive attenuator so it's not providing anything other than gain reduction. Then set your input channel gain knob on the Focusrite- peaking at -12 on the meters is a good point to start.
TURN UP YOUR FOCUSRITE MASTER OUT / VOLUME KNOB.
Just to make sure I understand I should look for -12 on my PT on my input channel while doing what? playing hard or playing normal?
Moreover I am confused: I have learned that my overall guitar tone will vary based on my volume (more volume == more distorsion) so I wonder if the above applies when wanting to record clean sounds.

Thanks a lot!!!
Old 10-14-2017, 02:38 AM

Finally my last message was approved, looking forward for any pointers. Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted to thanks in advance in case you want to jump in with any feedback on my last post!

Thanks a 1000!
Old 11-08-2017, 11:31 AM

Still looking for some expert opinion on whether the recording/setup sounds good quality wise

Thanks a lot!