Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2012, 02:43 AM

Default Death Of DAE errors and Pro Tools Errors

Is there such a set up without any of these devils wanting to get popped by my hammering index click.

Rey
https://r-e-y.com/

macOS Ventura
Pro Tools 2022
iMac (Retina 5K. 27-Inch, 2020)
Processor 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
3.6 GHz Dual-Intel Core i7
16GB ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8GB
Shure SM7B Mic
Pro Tools | Carbon
Komplete Kontrol M32
AKAI Mpk3 Mini
KALI Lp 6 (2)
Old 11-03-2012, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Death Of DAE errors and Pro Tools Errors

Read your post 3 times and all I can say is................????
Read this post(link at the top of this and every DUC page)
Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Read your post 3 times and all I can say is................????
Read this post(link at the top of this and every DUC page)
Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

• Computer model and processor speed
• Dell N5110 (INSPIRON LAPTOP) and i3-2310M CPU 2.10GHz
• OS version
• Windows 7 Home Premium
• Digidesign or M-Audio hardware model
• M-Audio
• Pro Tools version
• Pro Tools SE
• Amount of RAM installed
• 4GB
• A complete and precise description of any attached peripherals (hard drives, video devices, other firewire or USB devices that may be attached, etc).
• We need to know to which port on the computer they're connected to, what type of cables you're using (is it a FW800-FW400 adapter cable? All of the cables are from the manufacturer. Keyboard on the 1st left port (USB). HDMI for HD SAMSUNG TELEVISION (2nd Monitor used as 1st to laptop). To the back, 1st is the Fast Track $99.00 version. 2nd is the iLok for Pro Tools SE. Lastly to the right, the mouse to avoid using the laptop’s mouse pad.
• How long is it? Same size as a regular-manufacture made model. Are you using an extender or repeater?) No, what is an extender? and, if you've tried replacing cables, what the differences were between the original and the replacement. N/A
• Number and type (firewire, SATA, SCSI, etc) of drives installed, how they're formatted and which one(s) you're using for recording and playback. Internal 450GB Hard Drive with 118GB free. I can only use that one since I have no external Hard drive for the moment.
• A concise list of the troubleshooting you've already tried - please be as specific as possible! The first thing we'll ask is 'Have you done everything in the Setup and General Troubleshooting thread?', so we'll want to know that you've done ALL of it and, if you've not done everything, we need to know what you have or have not done, as this can have a huge impact on further troubleshooting.
• I have deleted the DAE prefs folder, restarted my computer and tried different versions of Pro Tools (7.4, 8, and now Pro Tools SE). The Pro Tools SE user guide does not find anything in relation to DAE errors.

Rey

macOS Ventura
Pro Tools 2022
16GB ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8GB
Shure SM7B Mic
Pro Tools | Carbon
Komplete Kontrol M32
AKAI Mpk3 Mini
KALI Lp 6 (2)
Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 PM

Default Sandra Report

SiSoftware Sandra

ID
Host Name : Domingo-PC
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : Dell Inspiron N5110
Serial Number : 1T6****
Chassis : Dell Portable
Mainboard : Dell 034W60
Serial Number : .1T6BGP1.CN7************
BIOS : Dell A05 04/18/2011
Intel vPro : 7.00.04.1197
Total Memory : 3.91GB DDR3 SO-DIMM

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz (2C 4T 2.1GHz, 2.1GHz IMC, 2x 256kB L2, 3MB L3)
Socket/Slot : FC PGA988

Chipset
Memory Controller : Dell Core (Sandy Bridge) Mobile DRAM Controller 100MHz, 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 1.33GHz 64-bit, Integrated Graphics

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Samsung M471B5273DH0-CH9 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM PC3-10700S DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : AU Optronics AUO22EC (1600x1200, 1JC2N€B156XW2, 15.3")
Monitor/Panel : Samsung SAMSUNG
(1600x1200, 31.5")
Video Adapter : Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (12 SM4.1 650MHz/1.1GHz, 64MB DDR3 1.33GHz 64-bit, Integrated Graphics)
Video Adapter : Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (12 SM4.1 650MHz/1.1GHz, 64MB DDR3 1.33GHz 64-bit, Integrated Graphics)

Graphics Processor
Compute Shader Processor : Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (12SP 650MHz, 64MB DDR3 1.33GHz 64-bit, Integrated Graphics)

Storage Devices
Seagate ST9500325AS (500.1GB, SATA300, 2.5", 5400rpm, 8MB Cache) : 466GB (C:)
Optiarc DVD+/-RW AD-7717H (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
Recovery : 15GB (NTFS)
OS (C:) : 451GB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST9500325AS (500.1GB, SATA300, 2.5", 5400rpm, 8MB Cache)
Hard Disk (Q:) : N/A
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ Optiarc DVD+/-RW AD-7717H (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Dell HM67 LPC Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : Winbond WPCE775LA
Audio Device : Dell Cougar Point High Definition Audio Controller
Disk Controller : Dell Cougar Point Mobile 6 port SATA AHCI Controller
USB Controller 1 : Dell Cougar Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
USB Controller 2 : Dell Cougar Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
USB Controller 3 : Dell Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Brother DCP-116C (600x600, Colour)
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Printer : HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (600x600, Colour)
Printer : HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (600x600, USB, Colour)
Printer : HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (600x600, Colour)
Printer : HP Deskjet 6600 series (1200x1200, Colour)
Printer : Fax - HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (200x200, Colour)
Printer : Fax - HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (200x200, USB, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Scanners and Cameras
Scanner : Hewlett-Packard HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (NET) (Scanner, 4800x4800, USB)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) (Ethernet)
Network Adapter : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller (Ethernet)
Wireless Adapter : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 1030 (802.11g (ERP), AES-CCMP, 65Mbps)

Power Management
Battery No 1 : DELL JXFRP15 48.84Wh/3.99Ah

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home 6.01.7601 (Service Pack 1)
Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 4.6

Rey

macOS Ventura
Pro Tools 2022
16GB ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8GB
Shure SM7B Mic
Pro Tools | Carbon
Komplete Kontrol M32
AKAI Mpk3 Mini
KALI Lp 6 (2)
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 PM

So looks like you have just a single 5,400 rpm system drive, without the dedicated 'audio spec' drive you are supposed to have, that will likely be the cause of most of your problems. You need a separate 7,200 rpm of faster dedicated drive for audio. make sure its not a 'green' drive (with slowdown, spindown etc. features), especially if going with an external USB2/3 drive and you are not up on all the technology then it may be best to look for one that claims to be Pro Tools compatible.

Your system also has an embedded graphics processor, which is not great for Pro Tools, and a slow i3 processor won't get you far with much plugin use.

Pro Tools 10 System Requiremtns are in your docuemntation and here http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en419171

Darryl
Old 11-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
So looks like you have just a single 5,400 rpm system drive, without the dedicated 'audio spec' drive you are supposed to have, that will likely be the cause of most of your problems. You need a separate 7,200 rpm of faster dedicated drive for audio. make sure its not a 'green' drive (with slowdown, spindown etc. features), especially if going with an external USB2/3 drive and you are not up on all the technology then it may be best to look for one that claims to be Pro Tools compatible.

Your system also has an embedded graphics processor, which is not great for Pro Tools, and a slow i3 processor won't get you far with much plugin use.

Pro Tools 10 System Requiremtns are in your docuemntation and here http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en419171

Darryl

Any recommendations for those specs in amazon.com that you can post here?

Rey

macOS Ventura
Pro Tools 2022
16GB ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8GB
Shure SM7B Mic
Pro Tools | Carbon
Komplete Kontrol M32
AKAI Mpk3 Mini
KALI Lp 6 (2)
Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynaldoPena View Post
Any recommendations for those specs in amazon.com that you can post here?
There are more than I can point at, do you want a bus powered (for portability) or AC powered external drive (AC powered drives are generally better for performance), how much capacity?, do you need Firewire to be readable on Mac, etc. etc.

I often fall back to G-Tech

http://www.amazon.com/G-Technology-E.../dp/B002LITG7M

or Glyph

http://www.amazon.com/Glyph-Technolo...keywords=Glyph

but then I want drives with Firewire for Mac compatibility. Especially for USB (not Firewire) drives many standard external USB drives will work, the big thing to look out for are the many drives that have 5400 rpm drive or 'green' drives like the WDC Caviar Green that are nothign but a pain in the ass (but sometimes are claimed as 7,200 rpm or just don't quote a speed). You also do not want to use any 'RAID' drives.

Nowadays its getting more and more compelling to go with a SSD (flash) drive. And there are some newer USB 3 SSD drives that should work fine for his, but I don't have any hands on experience with them. You may find some mentions by searching on DUC.

It may also be possible to mount a drive inside your Inspiron, especially if you can replace the optical drive with an SSD drive. An SSD may also offer enough performance that you may get away with using a single SSD for boot/system and audio sessions even if that is not officially supported.

Darryl
Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
There are more than I can point at, do you want a bus powered (for portability) or AC powered external drive (AC powered drives are generally better for performance), how much capacity?, do you need Firewire to be readable on Mac, etc. etc.

I often fall back to G-Tech

http://www.amazon.com/G-Technology-E.../dp/B002LITG7M

or Glyph

http://www.amazon.com/Glyph-Technolo...keywords=Glyph

but then I want drives with Firewire for Mac compatibility. Especially for USB (not Firewire) drives many standard external USB drives will work, the big thing to look out for are the many drives that have 5400 rpm drive or 'green' drives like the WDC Caviar Green that are nothign but a pain in the ass (but sometimes are claimed as 7,200 rpm or just don't quote a speed). You also do not want to use any 'RAID' drives.

Nowadays its getting more and more compelling to go with a SSD (flash) drive. And there are some newer USB 3 SSD drives that should work fine for his, but I don't have any hands on experience with them. You may find some mentions by searching on DUC.

It may also be possible to mount a drive inside your Inspiron, especially if you can replace the optical drive with an SSD drive. An SSD may also offer enough performance that you may get away with using a single SSD for boot/system and audio sessions even if that is not officially supported.

Darryl
*windows only bro

I like the idea of changing the pc's drive although i just seen here: http://www.justanswer.com/laptop/71w...ols-money.html
that i3 should work fine.

Do those drives work for pc?

and about the video cards, i can't use my bros Audiophile PCI card since it only works with desktop pc's hopefully you can recommend some for this laptop.

Rey

macOS Ventura
Pro Tools 2022
16GB ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8GB
Shure SM7B Mic
Pro Tools | Carbon
Komplete Kontrol M32
AKAI Mpk3 Mini
KALI Lp 6 (2)
Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 PM

AC powered to have better performance, If i can have one with both then please post link. 2TB capacity. send me a link for a graphics processor whatever to upgrade that as well (laptop compatible). and I will upgrade to i7 if you give me the go for that too.

I love the links you posted for the two external drives. Feed me the missing products as I have a deadline for this album, thanks.

R

Quote:

Darryl

Rey

macOS Ventura
Pro Tools 2022
16GB ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8GB
Shure SM7B Mic
Pro Tools | Carbon
Komplete Kontrol M32
AKAI Mpk3 Mini
KALI Lp 6 (2)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynaldoPena View Post
AC powered to have better performance, If i can have one with both then please post link. 2TB capacity. send me a link for a graphics processor whatever to upgrade that as well (laptop compatible). and I will upgrade to i7 if you give me the go for that too.

I love the links you posted for the two external drives. Feed me the missing products as I have a deadline for this album, thanks.

R
You asked for 2TB capacity, but for an audio drive that may be much more than most people need. But I do use large audio drives to store a spare copy of say a system drive backup, as long as its stuff not accessed while pro tools is being used. The one thing that can get large is VI sample storage, but you don't ever want that on the dedicated audio/session drive, its supposed to go on the system drive or is own separate drive. And your laptop's i3 processor may be underpowered to do much complex VI work anyhow. But just thought I'd mention all this since you asked specifically for a large 2TB drive.

I have no personal recommendations besides the links I posted. Since I suspect your laptop has USB 3 (check yourself, if so then...) the way to go if you are getting an external drive is find a USB 3 drive with a 7200 rpm drive or an SSD. I have no recommendations but if you find one you are interested in post a link here and I'll help your check the specs. Hopefully others have some recommendations.

I also just don't own any non-FW external drives. You can look for your own that meet the Avid stated specs. See http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en422335

If you want to experiment with an internal drive you will need to work out if you can replace the optical drive with a hard drive. Usually there is a mounting kit to do this from a variety of vendors. The other route to go is to get a SSD disk and replace the 5,400 rpm drive, that assumes that the usually non-recommended approach of running audio to the system drive will work. It does for me with SSD drives on older Macbook Pros, I'm working with handful of tracks and low plugin count, but works even with EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer VIs. But you will need to experiment and have plan B if a single SSD drive does not work well. If you were buying an SSD I would get a Samung 830 http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-830-Se.../dp/B005T3GPXY be sure to get this laptop kit with Ghost and the USB cable so you can clone your current internal drive. That kit also has a mounting shim you may need since the Samsung drives are thinner than standard 2.5" HDDs. I have several of the 512 GB versions in Macs and they are running fantastically.

I have no idea if you can upgrade the graphics in this laptop, thats often a soldered option on the motherboard--you can order a different graphics option when you purchase the laptop, but check with Dell. The integrated graphics and low computer power makes this laptop not a great choice if you are hoping to do too much (especially with plugins and VIs). You may want to look at upgrading the whole system instead of say spending hundreds of dollars on a SSD drive.

Darryl