Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-08-2017, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Insights needed on my setup with Focusrite 2i2

DUC is not the place to come to ask questions like this hoping for a personal tutorial on tracking guitar. You have already been given great advice to look for a guitar amp simulator plugin.

Unfortunately not even Avid Eleven Free or Sansamp look like they are included in Pro Tools First. And many other common guitar amp options that are used not available for First like BIAS Amp, Helix Native, Softube, etc.,... since First can only run plugins from the Avid Store. You can likely get the full Eleven but it's expensive, a better options would be to get Eleven as part of the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle for $50/year.

You need to find some good tutorials and work though them. YouTube is full of video tutorial on Pro Tools or other DAWs and tracking guitars etc.

You are also asking questions/saying stuff about gain staging and how signal flow though faders work, that is covered in many other Pro Tools tutorials and discussed very well in the Pro Tools Reference Guide.... the PDF for that is easily findable on the Web. The basic stuff in that applies to First as well.

If while doing that you are having a specific problem and need help then post a clear description of that on here and folks will help you.

Worrying about "not clipping" while tracking is just the wrong thing to think about, you should likely be tracking well below any chance of clipping. The cheap preamp in the 2i2 DI stage and similar interfaces will sound awful at high input levels. You have so much digital gain in amp plugins and the Pro Tools mixer that you should be nowhere near clipping on input. A starting idea would be to track so input levels (put the meter in pre-fader mode) are something like -18 dbFS. Adjust that if needed by listening to the monitored signal, through a guitar amp sim, listening at constant output volume. The dynamics of how that inout level interacts with the amp sim has to be listened to. Emphasis on not tracking too hot is also covered in many tutorials and has been flogged to death on DUC before.

I'm not sure why there is so much discussion on volume, I hope you are not falling into the common trap of trying to get more out of a low-end system than you can and especially adjusting input level to try to adjust volume. The volume you listen to should be set by the master fader or monitor controller (e.g. volume knob on your powered monitors). The input gain should not be being used to adjust the volume you listen at.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-08-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Insights needed on my setup with Focusrite 2i2

Hello Darryl!

Any answer (even a "this is not the right place") is definitely better than no answer at all, so thanks a ton!

I didn't really care about guitar amp simulator plugins*, my main focus was:
1. am I using PTF correctly (screenshot)
2. am I getting acceptable sounds?

Having no experience in both PTF and recording in general I was looking for guidance as to discern if what I am getting is OK. As you mentioned, I am wondering where the line of "trying to get more out of a low-end system than you can" is. I don't expect to have my 2i2 perform like a k$ system, but I'd like to know I'm doing it the best possible way.

Having said that you gave me several interesting pointers, and I will work through them to check all my settings, thanks!

* all I have so far in my PTF is this: https://s1.postimg.org/5avdh2vz33/Sc...6.56.57_PM.png
Old 11-09-2017, 10:35 AM

Default Insights needed on my setup with Focusrite 2i2

Eleven Lite must be a version of the Eleven amp sim plugin (like many other folks here I don’t use First). Start by playing with that. And follow online tutorials about tracking guitars and using amp sim plugins. You should probably be monitoring through that plugin as you play.

For tracking a guitar and using an amp sim the 2i2 is unlikely to be a limit compared to much more expensive hardware. What matters is guitar playing and audio engineering skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk