Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 03-29-2010, 03:49 PM

Question Moving all protools and reason software, plugins, files from old mbp to new mbp?!?

I'm running M-audio firewire 1814 with PT Mpowered 7.1.1 and reason on my old macbook pro Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP21.00A5.B08
SMC Version: 1.14f5
Serial Number: SystemSerialNumb
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I have a bunch of plugins installed, and loads of half finished projects, and my mac is beginning to collapse under the pressure of trying to run it.

I don't have the original installation discs for any of the programs, and I was told by a mac rep. that I can just buy a new machine and transfer everything, programs and all, onto it.

This just sounds too good to be true, and I envisage all sorts of compatibility issues moving programs from OS X 10.4.11 to the latest version of snow leapard...

Is there anyway I can complete this task and be assured I won't have to re-install anything? Even plugins etc? Can I really just plug a new machine into my old one and transfer everything and it will work perfectly?

Please forgive my cynicism, and my lack of knowledge in this area, if anyone needs more info please ask.

Any help / guidance would be greatfully appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Ant
Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Moving all protools and reason software, plugins, files from old mbp to new mbp?!

as far as i know you can connect 2 macs setting one as target disk mode using t as hd the transfer everything to your new one and maybe you'll need to reinstall only a few things, or you can use an external hd, and another way is to transfer from another mac when you're installing the new os on the new machine.... but probably the best way is to set a mac as target disk mode...on system preferences/start up disk...target disk mode
Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Moving all protools and reason software, plugins, files from old mbp to new mbp?!

Hi thanks for that, I was also thinking it would be better to use Target Disk mode instead of the migration assistant - I read people seem to have more trouble with it that way.

I'm more worried about losing the plugins I suppose, I've read threads where people have moved plugins from one laptop to another and then they need re-authorizing etc.

If there is anything I can do to make sure it all goes smoothly, I'd love to know!!

Thanks
Old 04-02-2010, 09:08 PM

super duper google it.