How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2019, 09:50 PM

Default Pro Tools LE authorization code

Hello Everyone,

I bought an Mbox bundled with LE 7.4 sometime in 2009. I later purchased the upgrade to 8. I have been using this version of Pro Tools, with all my plugins and the same interface, (also bought an Eleven Rack in 2014 or so) for the past ten years.

Over the past year or so I've been hard at work writing and recording an album for one of my music projects. It's been a ton of work and we've gotten to the final stages of tracking vocals. That's, of course, when Murphy struck. My PC died in the worst way, requiring me to rebuild with a new CPU and Motherboard, which of course meant a new install of Windows 10 and all my software.

I was able to get Pro Tools installed the other day. However, I haven't been able to locate my Authorization code. I spent several hours after work today unboxing and searching through every shred of documentation or other keepsakes I've held on to over the past decade. I've scoured all my e-mail inboxes, documents on every computer I own, and I have not been able to locate the auth code.

I realize that this is outdated software produced by a defunct company (Digidesign). The sad reality for me is that I am not in a position to purchase a new version of Pro Tools, nor any of the dozens of RTAS plugins I currently own. I really really need help from someone and the best possible outcome for me would be to somehow get ahold of a legit authorization code. If I can't manage that, I'm afraid my recording abilities and indeed the album I've spent months working on will be dead in the water for the foreseeable future.

What I can say for sure is that I don't think I ever registered my copy of Pro Tools with Avid, since I purchased it in 2009. I can provide details to whomever needs them, such as serial numbers of my hardware, a history of pro tools sessions going back to 2009, and perhaps other things (I still have the authorization codes for the bundled plugins that came with the original version of LE, as well as the install discs).

I don't know what to do. I've seen that some people have been able to get help in matters like this on this forum. I'm hoping someone can be of help to me.

Thanks for your time,

Nate
Old 12-09-2019, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE authorization code

It's highly unlikely that you'll get LE8 to run with any measure of success on Windows 10 given that it was last compatible with 7.

As far as the license code, the 7 code would be printed inside the cover of the getting started manual. The upgrade to 8 was most likely purchased through the Avid store so try to recover your login credentials to lookup the code for 8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-10-2019, 04:21 PM

I can confirm that both 7.4 and 8 run successfully on windows 10. I've had success with it for over a year.

Perhaps I wasn't clear about my predicament. I know where the code *would* be printed. I tried to say that I can't locate that particular getting started manual. Which is why I came here. As I said in my original post:

"However, I haven't been able to locate my Authorization code. I spent several hours after work today unboxing and searching through every shred of documentation or other keepsakes I've held on to over the past decade. I've scoured all my e-mail inboxes, documents on every computer I own, and I have not been able to locate the auth code."

So, what I'm looking for is some help getting my auth code from some other legitimate source. As to your point about login credentials, I think I said that I also never registered my copy of PT7.4 or 8 with Avid. Logging in to Avid's website I see no products listed at all, in fact I'm not even sure why I have an account there at all. Obviously PT7 and 8 LE are both legacy Digidesign products and I'm pretty sure I purchased them before Avid took over, though I might be incorrect. Either way, I don't ever remember registering the products.

So I'm left in the middle of a music project, with countless hours of tracking and mixing and editing already done, and tons more to do, with a successfully reinstalled DAW, interface hardware, and a bunch of RTAS plugins, but I can't locate my authorization code.

I have seen several posts here where people have been able to get someone to help with this. I'm hoping I can get the same help.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:27 PM

So apparently, today is idiot day.

*sigh*

When I logged in to Avid.com, I tried an e-mail address which I commonly associate with my recording activities. Your response about my login credentials made me think twice about whether or not I registered my PT8 upgrade. Naturally, it's hard for me to remember exactly what I did back then.... it's been several years.

I tried a different e-mail address to log in to Avid.

And everything I need is there.

Move along, nothing to see here....

Thanks for trying to help, appreciate your time.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldlyStride View Post
I tried a different e-mail address to log in to Avid.

And everything I need is there.

+1 :)

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control