Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 12-06-2019, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Anyone know the exact path to delete temp files that PT puts in the drive?

remember to show hidden files. if you are on mac just order the folders by size and then youll find the culprit
Old 12-06-2019, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Anyone know the exact path to delete temp files that PT puts in the drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hey Ben

I dont have a library in that second path.

Can you post the exact paths or is that the only 2 places to look?
In the MacOS Finder, hold down the option key, click on the "Go" Menu and choose the "Library" option. That option is not visible without using the option key.

There are two "Library" folders on a Mac. One is stored at the system level and functions for all users. The other is stored at the user level and only functions when that user is logged in.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
That's very strange. Are you quite shure?
These two are standard folders, been there as long as I can remember, although I can't remember ever needing them in any way, much less needing to delete stuff because of size.

The "myaccount" is the one with most activity here. 10+ log files modified today. Lots of folders too, and nothing over 10mb size. Mostly very small.
The Logs folder in top level library has very few files. Mainly one folder called "DiagnosticReports" with lots of log files.

I did post the exact paths, and I'm almost certain that these are the only two places.
Added: I checked my Snow Leopard (!) drive, same two folders, same locations. And because I have PT10 there, Logs folder contains Avid and Digidesign folders. But only small size files.
I will have a second look and use the tip with the option key.

Thanks Ben !!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-06-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
In the MacOS Finder, hold down the option key, click on the "Go" Menu and choose the "Library" option. That option is not visible without using the option key.

There are two "Library" folders on a Mac. One is stored at the system level and functions for all users. The other is stored at the user level and only functions when that user is logged in.
Thats what I think I missed so will try that tip. Thank You very much for that. Forgot all these shortcuts and options when using big consoles and controllers hehe

You guys are awesome!

Thanks again and have a really nice weekend

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-06-2019, 10:10 AM

I forgot, I always set Finder to show all files.
There are several ways:
Quickly Show/Hide Hidden Files on macOS Sierra, OS X El ...

Old 12-06-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I forgot, I always set Finder to show all files.
There are several ways:
Quickly Show/Hide Hidden Files on macOS Sierra, OS X El ...

Great info Thanks Brother

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-06-2019, 10:19 AM

Usually such extensive logging happens during debugging of an application. As it runs it puts out tracing information to help with debugging. That is an astounding amount of logging. Is it possible Avid released a debug version of their software without turning debug mode off? And that it is spewing out trace and debug info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
are you refering to protools logs? i just deleted like 45gb of protools 2019.10 logs after having it for half a week....
Old 12-06-2019, 11:40 AM

PT Prefs has a button for opening the Avid logs folder and another for emptying it.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 12-06-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
PT Prefs has a button for opening the Avid logs folder and another for emptying it.

Cheers,
Pete
Gonna try your app as I have pointed loads of people to that but never tried it myself and it is time to try so Thank You for making it for us.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-06-2019, 09:56 PM

In windows 7 there is also:

:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\CrashDumps

which may be in Win 10 as well