Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 06-16-2015, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Sample Rate and H/W Buffer negotiation woes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Oh lord your developing workarounds? How could the world ever repay you?
My favorite part about this is that one of the workarounds he "developed" is one I walked him through the other day... Holding N on launch to load playback engine dialog

I mean... I literally explained how to do that known process step by step, and now it's something he claims to have developed.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
My favorite part about this is that one of the workarounds he "developed" is one I walked him through the other day... Holding N on launch to load playback engine dialog

Wow he developed that? I've been using that for years.....he must consult for avid,
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:58 PM

Hi guys,

was checking out this thread and was wondering if any of you managed to get this problem sorted?

I seem to be having some of that trouble too, but i use an SPL Crimson...its a disaster! clicks, pops, distortion at times and cannot change sample rates without pro tools acting up on me...asio buffer sizes only operate properly if set when pro tools is reopened...

I was going to buy the iD22, but id like to know from you guys if im doing the right thing here...considering that i have been having a huge nightmare with the SPL crimson...the fact that pro tools jams and stops responding and distorts at time and does not play at all at 32bit buffer size is a big problem for me...

Im using an i5, 16gb ram desktop with windows 7 64bit on pro tools 10 and 11...any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

thank you
Old 08-08-2015, 06:23 PM

Does PT work OK with larger buffers? What sample rate are you using?

I haven't seen any improvements in how PT handles any of my ASIO interfaces. Those that dominate/control the DUC apparently trumpet AVID's attitude that all of the problems are the fault of the interface manufacturers (even though those manufacturers design their interfaces to ASIO specifications to ensure compatibility with DAW software). Focusrite seems to still be struggling (for at least the past year now) with their Beta ASIO drivers for their Scarletts to work properly with PT. No other manufacturer (except possibly RME) appears to be bothering with that.

From what I've seen on the DUC, the RME interfaces seem to work best with PT on PCs (though nobody has yet said that they report their latencies properly so PT can correct for their record latency properly). Seemingly all other interfaces (including AVID's) require workarounds, compromises, and/or have "stability" problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleo View Post
Hi guys,

was checking out this thread and was wondering if any of you managed to get this problem sorted?

I seem to be having some of that trouble too, but i use an SPL Crimson...its a disaster! clicks, pops, distortion at times and cannot change sample rates without pro tools acting up on me...asio buffer sizes only operate properly if set when pro tools is reopened...

I was going to buy the iD22, but id like to know from you guys if im doing the right thing here...considering that i have been having a huge nightmare with the SPL crimson...the fact that pro tools jams and stops responding and distorts at time and does not play at all at 32bit buffer size is a big problem for me...

Im using an i5, 16gb ram desktop with windows 7 64bit on pro tools 10 and 11...any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

thank you

Last edited by Amack; 08-08-2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Add larger buffer, etc. questions
Old 04-27-2016, 10:41 PM

Bump with an update. I bought an excellent little USB-powered headphone amp that has pretty good ASIO drivers. I've been using it for about 6 months, ever since 12.2.1 with zero issues until I upgraded to 12.5.

It works well in multi-client mode (as in both PT sound and OS sounds play through the same device with no fuss)

But it worked a lot better on 12.4 than it does on 12.5. When using 12.4, Pro Tools was able to take control of sample rate and buffer size. With 12.5 it can do neither. Pro Tools will throw AAE errors or outright crash if the device is not set to the session sample rate ahead of time. 12.4 could change the buffer size and sample rate at whim. I am not happy about this, to the point that I just rolled back to PT12.4.

Quote:
Can you change H/W Buffer Size from within PT without the need to quit PT?
Yes (PT12.4), No (PT12.5), Yes (Reaper)

Quote:
Can you switch between sessions with varying odd sample rates from within PT without PT either locking up, refusing to play, or the need to quit PT? I am specifically talking about switching between 44K1<>96K, 44.1K<>48K and 48K<>88K sample rates.
Yes (PT12.4), No (PT12.5), Yes (Reaper)

Quote:
Which audio interface did you use for these questions?
CEntrance DACport Slim

Quote:
Which OS and version, PT version, etc.
Windows 8.1, PT12.4, PT12.5, Reaper 5.15, same computer for all.

Okay, this is extremely frustrating. PT works fine when I set the interface sample rate to the project sample rate first, then open the project. But any projects I open after that will crash PT. Same sample rate, different sample rate, it doesn't matter. It just crashes. Instead of rolling back to 11.2.2 I'm just going to uninstall Pro Tools and use Reaper from now on. I need my DAW to work, and I can't afford to troubleshoot it for 2+ hours every time I switch playback devices.

Last edited by mesaone; 04-27-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:29 AM

I haven't even read all the posts here, but this behavior is typical for me with both of my interfaces. I loved the 003+ where I could change sample rates & buffer size in Pro Tools, but the interfaces I have now sound better, so I can deal with having to restart Pro Tools when changing those settings. Not a huge deal for me as I'm used to it. Would be nice not to have to though.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 05-03-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
I haven't even read all the posts here, but this behavior is typical for me with both of my interfaces. I loved the 003+ where I could change sample rates & buffer size in Pro Tools, but the interfaces I have now sound better, so I can deal with having to restart Pro Tools when changing those settings. Not a huge deal for me as I'm used to it. Would be nice not to have to though.
Chris, your sig says you're using a Focusrite interface. What I've discovered with Focusrite (I use the Scarlett 8i6) is that if I need to switch sample rates from session A to B, then all I need to do is exit PT, then change the sample rate in the MixControl window for Focusrite to whatever the new session will be, then reopen PT. If I'm unsure what the sample rate is for a new session I want to open (say from months past), I can easily check it in the PT Workspace window before opening it.

Its better now than it used to be which often required rebooting not just PT, but the entire system!

Old 06-10-2016, 04:20 PM

Can you change H/W Buffer Size from within PT without the need to quit PT?
No. Need to use their Control Panel and shut down PT.

Which audio interface did you use for these questions?
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6

Which OS and version, PT version, etc.
Windows 10. Pro Tools HD 12.5

See it in video form here KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 - UNBOX, SETUP, RECORD
(look in Description and go to the Using with PT segment)

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio