Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 01-20-2014, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Please share your cheap ASIO interfaces experience

Cheapies? I've used a couple, usually when helping others set up their own editing station.
  • Scarlett 2i2: the control panel can sometimes stop "talking" to Pro Tools, resulting in dialogs about being unable to change sample rate. Otherwise, it's fine.
  • Phonic Firefly302+: Persistent whine in the headphone amp (does not affect other signals). Otherwise it's fine, but I don't trust Phonic to keep a tight driver release schedule.
  • MBOX3: Gain jumps exponentially at the last 1/10th of the dial. Otherwise Great.
  • Firewire 410: Had a few issues with drivers on a mac, no issues at all with PC. Low latency, excellent bang for the buck.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:20 AM
zolko

M-audio Firewire 410 and other m-audio interfaces (eg. those bundled with PT Express) are using ASIO or direct PT driver? (how do we call that avid protocol?)
Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 AM

I replaced my old Audiophile 2496 with the Focusrite 2i4. Preamps sound great! General ease of use, great! My problem is with Focusrite's website! The 2i4, and I assume the 2i2, have no software control page so user options are limited. Also, if you try to contact Focusrite for help you are greeted with a multitude of road blocks which in my opinion are designed to discourage the customer from any further attempt to seek their help! I tried an e-mail which again is not an obvious feature on their help site, and they responded with a full page list of requests for my computer specifications, etc. totally ignoring my request for assistance which probably could have been answered in one sentence! I understand that the customer should first try every option at his disposal to solve the problem. But when the customers computer operating skills are still in the remedial stages this only leads to a disgruntled customer!
In fairness to Focusrite I have not yet tried to contact them by phone. If I can't resolve the problem I'm having today, I will try that option in hopes that I won't spend all day waiting for their tech support to answer the phone! My apologies for ranting here as I just finished posting in another DUC page how I had managed to overcome my frustrations with Avid, Pro tools by blaming myself for the majority of my problems with their products! I'm confused!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
they responded with a full page list of requests for my computer specifications, etc. totally ignoring my request for assistance which probably could have been answered in one sentence!
What? No, they need information from you in order to help you. Give them the information they asked for, and then they will be able to give you the correct answer. What's the problem you emailed them about?
Old 01-25-2014, 05:59 AM

Thanks mesaone. I think the answer to my problem which is having to turn the volume fader up for replay and down for record to avoid echo, may have been solved by someone in another post. (unlink track and edit, allows separate fader settings for record/playback). I'll know when I try it today. In any event I've tried entering the problem in their Q & A database multiple times with no viable answers. I understand that it would probably take a while for an email response but the immediate return email that I received did not even indicate that another response with a solution to the problem would be forth coming! only what I described previously. As I also stated, my computer skills are limited so their requests for my computer specifications are to me unanswerable. Which leaves me, and I suspect a good many others scratching their heads and wondering why they chose this I/O!

Last edited by Terry Wetzel; 01-25-2014 at 06:17 AM. Reason: correcting text.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:34 AM

I replaced my 002R with a Motu Ultralite Hybrid. Way more flexible, way more options, higher sample rate and definitely sounds better.

Sent from my iPhone killer

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 01-31-2014, 08:08 AM
zolko

What about Zoom H6 recorder? Comparing to H4n which had huge latency, and some other asio issues, this one according to http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...nounced-5.html at 2ms playable buffer offers RTL of 763 samples (17.306 ms) and has direct monitoring as well/
Anybody tried to use it with PT9/10/11?
Old 02-04-2014, 09:21 AM

I have been using a TC Electronic StudioKonnekt 48 daily since 2008. The mic pre's failed in 2010, and TC repaired it free of charge. I am very happy with how long it has lasted me, TC does an excellent job of keeping the drivers updated. That being said, some of the other Konnekt interfaces like the digital konnekt x32 have been discontinued over the years, so I'm not sure how much longer the currently available Konnekt interfaces will be supported. They are all 6+ year old products, so it's not clear how long they will remain "current" in regards to driver support.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?