Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 PM

Default Pro Tools 11 Shutting Down When I Try To Save

I know I'm supposed to put an error message in the title line, but I'm not getting one.

Every time I try to save my session, it just quits on me. And several times after try to save a copy in, and then just randomly. No message, no spinning wheel, just shuts down. I did a completely clean install two days ago on a brand new, clean system SSD. It's a Samsun 840 Pro. My session is running off a brand new LaCie 1TB thunderbolt drive. I don't have much on my computer right now.

I've tried restarting and deleting PT preferences. Not helping.

I'm running a mid 2011 iMac 2.7GHz. Mountain Lion. 24GB of ram.

I noticed it really got bad when I started running Komplete 9 Ultimate.
I'm recording to the same drive my samples are stored on, could that be a problem? probably so.

I have a second internal drive, the one that came with my computer. I cloned it to my external drive. Haven't reformatted it yet to record onto, so thats why I'm recording to my external.

Any ideas of what might be causing this??
Old 11-26-2013, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 Shutting Down When I Try To Save

In this thread a similar problem is discussed.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=346597

What version of 11? Mountain Lion 10.8.4 or 10.8.5?

What happens with your CPU-Usage Meter while you save?

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 11-26-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmh View Post
In this thread a similar problem is discussed.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=346597

What version of 11? Mountain Lion 10.8.4 or 10.8.5?

What happens with your CPU-Usage Meter while you save?
no, thats not a similar problem. It could just be sitting there, no playback, and I'd hit apple s and it would crash. or even if i went to file>save it would crash.

now I have bigger problems. I was finally able to save a copy. I saved it to the same external drive. I opened it, made sure it worked then closed it. Then I went ahead and cleaned up my external drive, leaving only that file. I then went and reformatted the 2nd internal drive on my computer, so I could start recording to that. Now when I try to open my saved copy, I get a message that says the file cannot be opened because the alias is missing. 2 weeks of work gone. I'm running some data recovery software on my external drive in hopes that I can salvage the old session. 5 hours left on the scan of the disk. Lets hope something good happens.

I'm literally in full blown panic mode right now.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:52 PM

What about your "Session Files Backup" folder stored within your root session folder along with the "Audio Files" folder and the session itself, is PT saving these backups automatically? if so, sort by date and open the last saved and see how you go.