Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 08-02-2020, 04:29 AM

Default Can I use one audio interface with 2 DAW opened at the same time?

Hi there,
I know on PC/Windows, we can only use 1 DAW at one time with 1 audio interface.
But it seems on Mac, I can use Pro Tools + another DAWs at the same time, and as long as my sample rate/ settings or project are the same it appears to be working fine. But I want to know what issue this may cause?
Old 08-02-2020, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Can I use one audio interface with 2 DAW opened at the same time?

First issue would be CoreAudio driver, in which case if one of your DAW's is PT it requires exclusive access.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:33 AM

Default Can I use one audio interface with 2 DAW opened at the same time?

That’s not true.

You can most definitely run PT and another DAW at the same time on a Mac if you choose to. If your interface’s driver is multi client, it works as expected.

OP - is there a reason you want to run multiple DAWs simultaneously? I frequently will run PT and something like Izotope RX or ReCycle together, but don’t typically run multiple DAWs as it’s just pulling away resources from your main app, in my case PT.

Technically it can be done, but depending on how big your sessions are, you’ll put more strain on your system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
First issue would be CoreAudio driver, in which case if one of your DAW's is PT it requires exclusive access.
I don't think this is true as well, as I have successfully Run PT and DP at the same time, it seems PT is not requiring exclusive access, unless I'm not understanding you correctly?
Old 08-02-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
I don't think this is true as well, as I have successfully Run PT and DP at the same time, it seems PT is not requiring exclusive access, unless I'm not understanding you correctly?
Umm, I only have experience of HD drivers but they do require exclusive access
Old 08-02-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

OP - is there a reason you want to run multiple DAWs simultaneously? I frequently will run PT and something like Izotope RX or ReCycle together, but don’t typically run multiple DAWs as it’s just pulling away resources from your main app, in my case PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The reason is: normally I keep my composition DAW open to playback the music (DP) in case I want to change any note, and keep PT open to play back the whole picture with multiple cues in continuously. It would be too much time consuming to close DP and open PT and do it again.

I tried to loopback PT back into DP but it seems I have met noise issue once in a while, loopback official told me it's because I have too many channels in loopback and my system resource is too intense while I checked my nMacPro CPU is not too high, anyone have any idea?
Old 08-02-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

This assumes they're using HD interfaces in which case the CA driver does require exclusive access. If they're not using an HD interface it's not a problem. Personally, I feed a Metric Halo ULN8 for monitor control with AES from the HD interfaces - that gives me CA access into my monitor chain and I can run multiple DAWs/editors simultaneously and do it all the time - aside from the obvious (running RX/etc) alongside Pro Tools, I frequently need to move between Logic and Pro Tools for session prep/interchange - this all works smoothly here assuming sample rates are the same.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 08-02-2020, 09:16 AM

HDX and HD Native only works with one DAW or Audio Application. Other Audio Interfaces, who can use multiclients can use more Applications in the same time...
Old 08-02-2020, 11:46 AM

I understand the concept (and perhaps even the need) for the exclusivity limitation in HD, but this has been such a crutch for us multi-DAW users over the years. Closing PT to open Logic is a relatively quick process, and thankfully Logic plays nicely with Avid hardware making it possible in the first place. However, asynchronous use, when sharing between DAWs is necessary, blocks us from that option. Premium upgrades, like HD, typically unlock functionality -- here it creates limits.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:48 AM

Yes, but it is not necessarily important to have HD driver to share i/o between PT and LX because you can sync them together and have LX playback your MIDI while PT has all the i/o for itself. How often you record on two DAW at the same time? This is not my usual workflow but have done it couple of times just for the sake of it. MTC is needed and some hassle, but was happy for what I got.