Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-14-2012, 07:13 AM

Default Buffer Latency - Adjusting tracks recorded at various buffers

Hey Forum, I have a quick question for you.

ISSUE:

I was working on one mix with a H/W buffer of 1024 and I forgot to switch it to 256 when I started recording overdubs on another song later that day.

So I now have a session where I recorded different instruments at different buffer settings.

Example:
1) drums & Bass, etc recorded with a H/W buffer of 256 (LLM active).
2) vocals with 1024 buffer (LowLatencyMonitoring active).

It's also not possible to re-do the vocals, so I need a little advice on how to line up my tracks. Do I physically time adjust (nudge) the vocal 768 (1024-256) samples earlier in the song? Does this make sense?

I'm not exactly sure how the H/W Buffer latency settings work (how much specific samples of "delay" gets recorded, etc).

I know some might say, use your ears/eyes to adjust, but I'm hoping there's a simple way to adjust since we just have two different buffer recordings to deal with. Obviously, some Vocal styles are harder to line-up than an instrument.

Thanks so much for your advice everyone,

Paul

ps. sorry if this has already been addressed, but I couldn't find anything specific to my problem.

Specs:
Digi 002 rack, Pro Tools 10.0.1, Windows 7 64bit, 12 gigs ddr 400, i7 (8 cores), etc.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Buffer Latency - Adjusting tracks recorded at various buffers

You shouldn't NEED to adjust anything. Pro Tools knows the buffer setting and is SUPPOSED to place the audio correct, regardless. Does the playback sound out of time?(poor artist timing not withstanding)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-14-2012, 08:31 AM

I Albee, thank you for responding so quickly.

Yes, it does sound out of time (regardless of performance).
Also, no there are no inserts on any of the tracks (no extra latency introduced in the mix).

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I always thought that you get more latency "recorded" when using higher buffer sizes in ProTools. Even if you have LLM enabled/active.

If you set a high buffer (ex. 1024) the musician will hear things later while tracking and hence his/her performance will be recorded later. Isn't this correct?

So if someone overdubs at H/W buffer of 1024 to backing-tracks that were recorded at 256 buffer, won't they technically be recorded/printed out-of-time with each other?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 AM

If it's a high buffer, the musician will here himself later, but also hear everything else later to the same amount, so he'll still be playing in time.

As Albee said, this should not affect anything, and something else is going om there.