How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 11-26-2015, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Slate Virtual Preamp Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Thanks a million for that. I agree 100% that they both do actually sound pretty good for the price they cost.

Again Really appreciate you taking the time to do this Ghostwriter!
No problem.

If I had the time to tweak the settings, I'm sure I could get the Antares so close you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. The Antares is a little warmer naturally, but that can be adjusted. It is the 2nd file of each example.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
No problem.

If I had the time to tweak the settings, I'm sure I could get the Antares so close you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. The Antares is a little warmer naturally, but that can be adjusted. It is the 2nd file of each example.
I am very thankful you helped out here Ghost

Those examples actually sound pretty great and I am impressed what you get for a very resonable price, I have invested in Korby and the ELAM 251 aswell as both Manley Gold and Ref C with U87's and Brauner VMX and a few other mid level mics and I wish i would have tried these earlier even though our Mic Locker is pretty sweet.

IK cost €69 which is impressively cheap and Antares is well priced too.

Again really Thank You for taking the time to put up the comparison files. Helped alot.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-26-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Korby Kat anyone ?

Depends what condition it's in.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:37 PM

OK I'm a big Slate fan, in fact I've been doing the 3 month all you can eat free demo for existing users and I'll probly do his Black Friday weekend $199 for a year deal...his stuff seems like snake oil as you navigate his descriptions but I'll be damned...it does indeed work in a postitive euphonic way. Having said that I think I have to call foul and draw the line on the whole mic mod thing. I have a great collection of real mics and I love the differences between them. I just don't think it's an easy thing modeling mics, since for instance my '70's U87 sounds different from my late '90's U87ai. Not only that, but sometimes I might want a TLM-102 or one of my 3 AT 40xx series or one of my 3 different tube mics or several different ribbons etc, etc...AND I very often put 2 mics on one speaker or multi speaker cab. Oh and I'm also a tube roller in my collection of amps and yes I can hear the differences to aid particular needs and prefs esp with a good selection of NOS glass. I do have an 11 Rack which I find a great tool for quick touchup adds to a track and I've even done complete pieces on it. It fills in the blanks but it's never my starting pref. And then there's the guitar differences...for instance 3 Strats all sound and play differently from each other.

All this is to say modeling even just the best known mics and modeling in general can't cover all the bases and creative choices that come from a real mic locker, amp room, and guitar collection. Now it could be argued that a lot of hardware has been modeled successfully and I agree with and use a lot of those plugins. Those hardware devices are usually very hard to maintain, unlike guitar amps or guitars or mics that are properly looked after. They're just simpler devices so we keep using them for all the sonic options they offer and revere them for those qualities.

Just my .02

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 11-27-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Again really Thank You for taking the time to put up the comparison files. Helped alot.
Inga problem :)
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
Inga problem :)
Tack sε mycket

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-27-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Tack sε mycket
You're welcome.

FYI: My parents were born in Sweden, my wife's grandparents from Norway.

That reminds me, I should make lefsa for Christmas. Yum!