Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2021, 03:25 AM

Default Dear Avid, Please Make a mini HDX Card

The Carbon interface and Hybrid engine are a great step forward for the integration of Native processing with low latency recording/ monitoring.

I would love to have those low latency features available for recording VO, ADR etc, but I already have other interfaces and don't ever need the full DSP power of an HDX Card.
The Carbon interface contains a cut down version of an HDX card. Surely it would make sense at this point for Avid to market a half or even quarter size HDX card in PCI and Thunderbolt formats?
I would buy that straight away.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Dear Avid, Please Make a mini HDX Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
The Carbon interface and Hybrid engine are a great step forward for the integration of Native processing with low latency recording/ monitoring.

I would love to have those low latency features available for recording VO, ADR etc, but I already have other interfaces and don't ever need the full DSP power of an HDX Card.
The Carbon interface contains a cut down version of an HDX card. Surely it would make sense at this point for Avid to market a half or even quarter size HDX card in PCI and Thunderbolt formats?
You have essentially described Carbon, except the decision was to go with AVB rather than PCI or Thunderbolt.
I agree Carbon with a super low latency Thunderbolt connector would have been brilliant.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 09-01-2021, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
You have essentially described Carbon, except the decision was to go with AVB rather than PCI or Thunderbolt.
I agree Carbon with a super low latency Thunderbolt connector would have been brilliant.
Considering Carbon doesn't support Windows anyway, this would have made sense.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:33 AM

Quote:

Well yes, but I already have an MTRX Studio as my interface, I'd just like to get the low latency monitoring part of carbon, I don't need the I/O.
There must be a lot of existing Pro Tools users in the same position.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post

if you avoid UAD plugins and some of the waves plugins an HD Native PCIe card really has low latency.
Still wondering why avid gave up on those ...
Mac Pro 2x 2.66GHz 6-Core / 96 Go Ram / PE6R4-i - HD Native - Tempo Sata Pro 6Gb - PTHD : 10 / 11 /12 / Ultimate till 2022.5 - 192 i/o Digidesign - MTPAV - OSX : 10.4 / 10.5 / 10.6.8 / 10.8.5 / 10.9.5 / 10.11.6 / 10.13.6 / 10.14.6 - PowerMac G4 MDD / Pro Tools HD 5.3 / 6 / 7.4x / 8
Old 09-01-2021, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovebrother View Post
if you avoid UAD plugins and some of the waves plugins an HD Native PCIe card really has low latency.
Still wondering why avid gave up on those ...
Because Apple didn't make a new machine that could accept PCIe cards for about 8 years, I think.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 09-01-2021, 05:26 AM

There is absolutely zero reason for DSP to be on a card today. Thunderbolt bus is fast enough to handle realtime. And so is native processing.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
There is absolutely zero reason for DSP to be on a card today. Thunderbolt bus is fast enough to handle realtime. And so is native processing.

I have HD Native Thunderbolt, but I can't get it to do low to no latency on big sessions.
Are you saying this is a failure of Avid's drivers?
I thought this is what Hybrid is supposed to address?
I used to have HDX but I found that I could run larger sessions purely native than using the HDX card. I liked the low latency recording capability of HDX though and that is what I'd like to get back using Hybrid.
I don't need DSP to run plugins, just to make a low latency path for drop-ins etc.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:36 PM

What they need is an HD Native sized thunderbolt box with an HDX card inside, so we can use our own Digilink enabled interfaces, just like we do with the HD Native box. That way we get the low latency of the HDX system and some of the plugin DSP to aid in larger sessions, but the versatility of being able to use third party interfaces which have the I/O and flexibility that we need.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 09-01-2021, 01:53 PM

I don't know what is wrong with the artists you are recording, but as far as I know HDN|TB and old 192 boxes are perfectly okay with 256 buffer on 48k session. Even if some artist has a bad day and complains, first thing I do is say I fix it and do nothing -- next take is perfect.