Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2006, 06:00 AM

Default PT 7.3 and RTAS midi Instruments

It seems that PT 7.3 does a great job for Rtas instruments, maybe with the help of NI new version itself, i could at the end use Reaktor with all the ensamble available, since 7.2 i could hardly use the most light ones...

Now i got just a couple of more question:

1. The RTAS error suppression check box seems not working properly with Akoustik Piano and Kontakt due to stuttered playback and crackles even if the memory cpu usage is not full scale, infact if you uncheck this option everything works fine with no sequencer stops. Is it true? maybe you could instantiate a couple of more Rtas instruments to reproduce this. Anyone experienced something similar?

2. Its better use 1 processor maxed to the 90% or 2 processor maxed at 85 %? looking at cpu usage it seems not so useful exchange one to another.

thanks in advance all the best, Eriberto
Old 12-24-2006, 08:41 AM

Default Re: PT 7.3 and RTAS midi Instruments

Hi,

Some plugins and especially VI's don't much like 2 processors? this might explain some of the abnormalities that you are experiencing. With most of my plugs i get better RTAS performance having 2 processors, but some plugins! still work better or only with 1 processor. this is down to the soecific plugin vendor who haven't maximized their plugs for multi processor use.

I have not yet had a good experience with NI plugs, and so don't use them, maybe they're getting their s**t together now, hope so, cus there stuff is good.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Re: PT 7.3 and RTAS midi Instruments

RTAS Error pref is simply turning off the "stop and show an error dialogue" function. IOW, if you have RTAS plug(s) that make the session halt and produce an error, such as "not enough CPU" or "change buffer settings," try checking the box. The error dialogue will not appear, PT wont halt...but, you will hear pops, crackles, etc. The extent/amount of glitching is dependent upon the number of errors being produced. You may still need to increase the buffer to get things to play smoothly enough to work. When it comes time to bounce, or render, uncheck this option, of course.

Yes, some VI's do not like multiple processors. But, others seem fine with it, such as Ivory. (I am on a Mac Pro, 4 processors enabled all the time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.