Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2009, 07:12 PM

Default Re: PT8 Audio Comping

I'd like to see how you can work faster (without any huge macros) than with voice stealing.. in this video (with distorted audio recorded in the video) note how I demonstrate auditioning a single word in a phrase.

http://screencast.com/t/oi2ZCVJZ

To do the same in PT8 with their Comp "feature".. you'd have to undo every single time and use a pre-roll point.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 05-14-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Our improvement wouldn't slow you down at all. Unless you suddenly wanted to listen to more.

There really can't be an argument for preferring to hear takes "out of context". Am I wrong?

I can't tell you how many vocal lines I thought were garbage until I heard them being preceded by a great one from a different track.
EXACTLY!!!

OK, maybe a "chick thing," but I liken it to trying to buy shoes to match pieces of an outfit. Buy shoes, go home and see if it works. No? Back to stores. Back home. Back to stores. Refund credit card each time. Or simply bring the belt and purse with you. Imagine shopping for all three at once.. and NOT being allowed to look at the pieces you already have without purchasing the damn shoes first. Sometimes it is as simple as a pure, unarguably black or white purse, belt and shoes. For those times, the current method works fine. Most times though.. well, recording/editing/mixing is not so purely black and white all (most of) the time

Silly analogy, I know. But this is what came to mind when I saw how Digi decided to do this.

With TDM, you can assign the same voice manually to multiple tracks, and comp. Why in the world could they have not simply done so within a single track? Each lane uses the same voice. And anyone baffled or confused as to why the "hidden" selections do not bleed through when the track is switched back to regular view vs playlist/lanes view...well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 PM

God forbid it would be too difficult for the LE home user to comprehend

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 05-14-2009, 11:48 PM

Thanks to all for answering me.

Finally i understand that Digidesign do a great job with comping but loosing the final goal just for a bit... hope they should upgrade all this because, just for knowing, even in PT HD you can't always use voice stealing and assigning specific voice to every take. If you had an RTAS plugin on the track, and whenever i'm auditioning guitar solo i need to use ampli simulators, or if you have elastic audio enabled teh default track setting is auto and you can't change it.

DIGI!!! Please would like to consider this?

Thanks to all.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:59 PM

They should be able to to program it to behave like voice stealing without requiring that feature. So it could work in LE.

Also, you wouldn't need an extra voice for each take. Just 2 per track. Like they do with QuickPunch.

You would just have to choose each take before hitting play.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 PM

So... after being a part of this thread, and having my workload today, consist of Comping, I figured I'd force myself to figure out the fastest workflow for using playlist view, rather then dynamic voice stealing.

I actually have stumbled across a pretty efficient way to comp that involves 3 key things.

- Ignore Playlist solo functionality (ONLY monitor Main Playlist)
- Always Promote first
- Use Dynamic Transport to Audition THROUGH a phrase in context.

I'm with Rail. and everybody else, I ALWAYS, as does Everey producer I've ever worked with, want to Comp "In Context"

HERE'S A MOVIE OF THE NEW WORKFLOW USING PLAYLIST VIEW

Still "Baffles me" having to ignore all the functionality, to make this efficient, however, if I get used to this, it's actually MORE efficient, and quicker then Dynamic Voice stealing across several tracks, because of ONE THING ONLY --> "Promote to Playlist" feature / Shortcut.

Have a look at the movie, I'm gonna comp all day today like this, I really think it's the "Best way to comp IF you're using playlist view"

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Hey look at that, you comp just like I do!

I mistakenly thought you guys were actually listening to the entire previous line while working on the current line. Our comping workflow is actually surprisingly similar - except I really need to check out dynamic transport for this work (looks much better then using pre-roll). And thanks for the video example - it cleared things right up for me!

BTW,
Sorry if my response implied that I thought this feature request was a bad idea in any way - I'm sure I'd use it at some point and it certainly wouldn't prevent me from working the way I presently work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
So... after being a part of this thread, and having my workload today, consist of Comping, I figured I'd force myself to figure out the fastest workflow for using playlist view, rather then dynamic voice stealing.

I actually have stumbled across a pretty efficient way to comp that involves 3 key things.

- Ignore Playlist solo functionality (ONLY monitor Main Playlist)
- Always Promote first
- Use Dynamic Transport to Audition THROUGH a phrase in context.

I'm with Rail. and everybody else, I ALWAYS, as does Everey producer I've ever worked with, want to Comp "In Context"

HERE'S A MOVIE OF THE NEW WORKFLOW USING PLAYLIST VIEW

Still "Baffles me" having to ignore all the functionality, to make this efficient, however, if I get used to this, it's actually MORE efficient, and quicker then Dynamic Voice stealing across several tracks, because of ONE THING ONLY --> "Promote to Playlist" feature / Shortcut.

Have a look at the movie, I'm gonna comp all day today like this, I really think it's the "Best way to comp IF you're using playlist view"
Old 05-22-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Reaves View Post
Hey look at that, you comp just like I do!

I mistakenly thought you guys were actually listening to the entire previous line while working on the current line.
Alot of the time... , absolutely listening to the Line before - this was just a Quick Video, but with this workflow in the video, you can listen to lines, before, AND after the edit, with a single click of the Dynamic Transport.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut View Post
I'd like to see how you can work faster (without any huge macros) than with voice stealing.. in this video (with distorted audio recorded in the video) note how I demonstrate auditioning a single word in a phrase.

http://screencast.com/t/oi2ZCVJZ

To do the same in PT8 with their Comp "feature".. you'd have to undo every single time and use a pre-roll point.

Rail
Not if you work like in Kingfishes video, no un-do required (but I guess you COULD undo if you wanted to). I've been using virtually the same workflow, except using pre-roll, and can't wait to use Dynamic Transport as KingFish does in his video. Additionally, with this workflow (compared to your video) once you hear the line you like, you're done - move on! In your video you still have to actually place the new region into the main track once you've chosen it as the best take. Plus it's more difficult to jump around and listen to random (or client requested) takes - e.g., it would take many mutes to simply hear the first take again after hearing the last take.

I still feel soloing (yea, totally wrong term for that button) works quickly to audition large chunks. But there's still room for improvement, like tying "solo" to select, and adding dynamic voice allocation to playlists.

But I still sometimes miss just hitting multiple mute buttons to switch takes in realtime, while bouncing it down to a new track on the old tape machine. Ahhh, memories. Ahhh, generation loss...
Old 05-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Great video! I assume those of us with 7.4 and Dynamic Transport could just mute the other playlists
and with a couple more moves, pop the pieces we want to hear up to a comp track and go from there? Very cool...