Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-14-2010, 07:11 AM

Default USB support with Pro Tools 9 Laptops

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a laptop with win 7 and install Pro Tools 9. I notice on the AVID website:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=380551

that they list a number of supported laptops but most say (no USB 2.0 support). Does this mean I can't hook up an external USB drive? It also says firewire is not supported. How then am I supposed to connect an external drive? Almost all forum messages suggest that a separate drive for OS and samples is a must have to achieve necessary performance.

Also any successes running PT 9 on a win 7 laptop? If so what model?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:14 AM

Default Re: USB support with Pro Tools 9 Laptops

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldenke View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a laptop with win 7 and install Pro Tools 9. I notice on the AVID website:

that they list a number of supported laptops but most say (no USB 2.0 support). Does this mean I can't hook up an external USB drive? It also says firewire is not supported. How then am I supposed to connect an external drive? Almost all forum messages suggest that a separate drive for OS and samples is a must have to achieve necessary performance.

Also any successes running PT 9 on a win 7 laptop? If so what model?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,

You can use any USB or Firewire drive! within reason! the really cheap boxes might not work as well as the more established one's. USB is quite slow and not recommended for large track counts. firewire is much better. or SATA with a laptop card to sata. the internal drive works quite well, but you'll soon use up disk space and need an external drive for backup.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:37 AM

Your link doesn't work. In any case, the winds they are a changin'. I took a look thru the compatibility grids(top of the page0 and was surprised about 2 things that are new; USB 2 drives okay for Windows only, and firewire drives NOT okay for Windows!?!?!? This is news. In any case, I would check with laptop manufacturer's own websites as I would expect EVERY laptop made in the last 5 years to have USB2 ports.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-15-2010, 03:11 PM

Is there any issue with Windows 7 and Firewire? I switched to a Mac a couple year ago so I have not kept up on the Windows side. Back in the Windows XP days, Firewire was the preferred way to go with the Oxford chipset and 7200 RPM drives. I also was surprised that for Windows, USB2 was supported and Firewire was not. Anyone have the facts?

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 11-18-2010, 04:46 PM

Sorry about the link in the original post. Here's the Avid web page detailing supported laptops:

It looks like the webpage may have been updated to clarify: The laptops that don't support USB 2.0 can use eSATA connections for external drives.

Still looking for any success stories with win 7 laptops and PT 9.

Thanks.