Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2000, 01:34 PM

Default Anyone still experiencing the \"Strange Exploding Sound\"?

If you either have gotten the Waveshell update or don't have Waves installed at all on the computer with your Digi 001 and are still experiencing the static "blast" during a session (sounds like turning on your T.V. set at 4 A.M., the selected station has either signed off or you're in-between channels and the volume is accidentally turned up to 10)...please sign in here...it's very important you let this thread know about it. Thanks, Dean Bohana
Old 12-11-2000, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Anyone still experiencing the \"Strange Exploding Sound\"?

I had that with the GRM tools demo.
Old 12-11-2000, 03:19 PM

Well, I've got Waveshell 2.9 and I still experience it on a daily basis. It comes in different forms: there's the exploding, but there's also a very fast modulating highly distorted sound (VERY LOUD) that usually carries on even after I stop playback. I have to initiate playback again in order to cease the sound. I have not yet contacted Waves about this, but I plan on updating soon to whatever version has the bug fix.
Old 12-11-2000, 09:04 PM

up
Old 12-11-2000, 10:22 PM

I started to get that "blast" just recently.
Dean your description was very good, its like white noise.
I do not have Waves.
I'm hearing it on a session that is getting bigger as I go along, 18-20 tracks with a modest amount of effects.
I have not check my other sessions which are much smaller to see if it is happening with them also.
I don't know if the more tracks there are makes this happen more?
Wasn't concerned about this until it happened to me as I had read the posts about this for months.
I have a G4 (Yikes), 320 Ram, 10gig and 27 gig.
Phil
Old 12-11-2000, 11:05 PM

Phil

Our Mac setups are for the most part identicile, as well as our problem. Thanks for the reply. We'll keep an eye on this post. DB
Old 12-12-2000, 01:39 AM

I'm getting an exploding kinda sound when I max the living bejeezus out of the level by maxing out the delay plugin with an infinite feedback loop. Is this really bad for my system? Cause it sounds kinda cool.
Old 12-12-2000, 04:24 AM

I get this if I've maxed out my plugins. I think it is a cpu or memory problem I only have it happen immediatly on playback so I can usually quikly stop the track .If you are monitoring at loud VU it can scare the $h!t out of you G4 450 512ram waves 2.9
Old 12-12-2000, 09:03 AM

I just installed the new Waveshell (2.9.2) and the "extremely loud exploding sound" has not occurred since.

Of course, it's only been a few days, so we'll have to see what happens over the next few weeks.

I am still getting some clicks and pops though, which would seem to be issues still related to Digi. One example would be a pop followed by a low, or distorted output.

Also important to note is the fact that the "fix" that was on Waves website was a corrupted file...meaning that some people who downloaded it may still have problems.

It is only after hours of tech support, and multiple tries for a fix, that I finally have a functioning, updated Waveshell.

And by the way, any Waveshell before 2.9.2 does not include the fix.

Old 12-12-2000, 09:10 AM

Hi All,
I'll join this post again so I may be counted.

Here is my orignal post from another thread:
I think this is a wide spread problem and others like me have not joined in yet for this reason. I have had this exploding and/or screeching sound happen to me only once so far. BUT,I do not use my system on a daily basis as of YET. But I do plan on using it on a daily basis in the future. So, I would like this bug fixed too. I do not have any details on my one situation because I thought it was just a quick glitch and didn't find out that others had this problem until weeks later. So if others are having or have had just one incident of this, please chime in.

PowerTower Pro 250
2 gig SCSI HD
2 gig SCSI HD for recording
Digi supplied plugs (no Waves)
ProTools 5.01
192 megs RAM

I know it's not a G4 (soon, very, very soon) but I have had no other problems with this system.

By the way, this screech and/or exploding sound came when I too had a client hooked up with headphones. I don't want this to ever happen again when I have 1000's of clients.

Thanks.
Most Humble,
Dave