Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2001, 06:50 AM

Default Mac sound through Digi001... new user ???\'s

I just installed my Digi001 card into my G4 466mHz mac, and I know just about zero... I read in another post that to play sound from other Mac applications through my monitors, I could select the Digi001 as the output device in the sound manager.

I did this last night so that I could play a few CD's through my studio monitors using the iTunes software packaged with my G4. When I restarted the Mac this morning and tried to open Protools 5.1LE, the program gave an error message saying that the Digi001 couldn't be located or was in use by another program.

Since the Digi001 box was lit, I knew the connection was alright. I went ahead and turned off all the extensions (set the panel to mac minimum) and was able to get Protools to start up.

What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't I be able to play other applications through the Protools card without having to uninstall everything prior to relaunching Protools?

Any and all input is appreciated.
Old 03-07-2001, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Mac sound through Digi001... new user ???\'s

There's a bit of voodoo to this in my experience-

If Digidesign is selected in the sound control panel as the output device, and "play sound through..." box is not checked, you should get OS sound (including iTunes) from the Digi. However, as you've noticed, then you will have trouble with PT. Changing your settings back in the sound control panel will fix it, but sometimes only after a restart.

I've ended up thinking that it's just not worth the trouble! If you are using an external mixer, you can route your sound through your monitors out of the speaker out jack on your Mac. For CD listening, I set up a PT session that uses the optical in (my CD player has an optical out) and 2 faders so I can reference CDs within mixes, but that won't help with iTools.

Anyway, that's about as much information as I have!! The key to your problem sounds like resetting the sound control panel and restarting. No need to change extension sets.

Joe

------------------
---
Joe Mazza
Average Joe Music
Old 03-07-2001, 08:39 AM

The solotion I use for this very problem is to use channels 3 and 4 on the back of the DIGI 001 to accept a connection from the MAC (mine is a G4 450 dual). You need a stereo mini jack to 2 mono jack cable for this. (i.e. a form if insert cable)

Then

You want to listed to any Mac sound (i.e. CD or DVD, press the monitor button

You want to listen to pro tools output, you unpress the button.

Okay you loose 2 of your inputs to the Digi 001 but you have a neat solution AND a volume control at your fingertips

Hope this helps.

Bye the way, greetings from Dublin Ireland.

------------------
PFG
Old 03-07-2001, 09:06 AM

I thought that monitor button only passed audio through if the 001 was off- which would mean that the computer is off and unable to make sounds!

that's cool if it works the way you described too!!!

thanks for the tip!

------------------
---
Joe Mazza
Average Joe Music
Old 03-07-2001, 09:10 AM

I think there is a new control panel on the PTLE5.1 Disc that you can install to fix this - it's in the extras, though - it doesn't install automatically.

------------------
Fred F. McKinnon, Highestpraise.Com
http://www.highestpraise.com
Free MP3, Leadsheets, Music
Old 03-07-2001, 01:13 PM

Just curious, can you do the reverse of all this and play protools through your computer speakers? I'm going to college next year and won't have much room so it would help alot just to use the computer ones. Does anybody know?
Old 03-07-2001, 11:01 PM

if you mean through soud manager than no youcan't do it, I asked digi several months ago. but of coarse you can plug your speakers out the digiOO1provided they are powered.
Old 03-08-2001, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AverageJoe:
I thought that monitor button only passed audio through if the 001 was off- which would mean that the computer is off and unable to make sounds!

that's cool if it works the way you described too!!!

thanks for the tip!

Message for Joe

Yes it does work even when the Mac is on.

I use this facility to monitor output from the iMovie package whilst also using protools.

Pushing the monitor button toggles between monitoring the PT and the Mac output. Hence you get to monitor on one pair of speakers.

------------------
PFG