Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2014, 03:28 PM

Default Pro Tools Expert. Why you do dis?

So I've just joined. Paid the membership fee, poking around the site. There are a few things I'm wondering about. Maybe someone can chime in and let me know, because this is strange to me.
  • Just £17.50 for the free sound pack! EDIT: I figured this one out. All the patches are free, and can be downloaded individually. The fee is for the convenience of downloading the whole collection in one file.
  • The patchbay has free structure patches! But they're just TFX patches (which structure cannot load directly anyway), you have to buy the actual content separately?
  • £20 to gain full access to the site... But when I try to access the free sounds folder, I'm prompted to pay an additional one-off fee of £9.99 for full access... I guess that extra fee gives me fuller access, right?
  • Ads everywhere. I'm cool with a banner or two, after logging in. And if there wasn't a membership fee, I could understand the walls of advertisements on either side of the content. But I've just paid money for access to a site, and the advertisements take up half of the screen real estate. Even after logging in. Yes, literally 48% of the screen is ad space.

I don't get it.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Expert. Why you do dis?

Another thing to watch for is their subscription. When you sign up they put you on a subscription with PayPal and if you forget to cancel they won't refund your money even if you don't want a subscription.

I'm going to make another post about this just as a warning to others.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Expert. Why you do dis?

I knew about the auto-renew, and I have no problem with that. I wanted to support what Russ and the others are doing. I just don't get why there are internal paywalls or why so many advertisements persist after you've logged in.