Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2013, 12:56 PM

Default New Avid live console announced: S3L!

Device deserves a thread of it's own, so here we go:

Announcing Avid S3L — which offers all the benefits of VENUE systems — the world’s leading family of touring consoles.

Press Release:
http://www.avid.com/press-room/S3L-D...d-Live-Systems

Product Information:
www.avid.com/products/S3L-System

Feature Highlights
  • Experience uncompromising performance with HDX-powered processing
  • Re-create the sound of the studio with integrated Pro Tools AAX plug-ins
  • Get reliable Ethernet AVB connectivity, including a fault tolerant ring topology, without the cable bulk.
  • Configure the modular system with up to 64 remote, recallable mic pres
  • Record directly to Pro Tools (or other DAW) through your laptop’s Ethernet port
  • Control Pro Tools and other DAWs using the S3 control surface as a EUCON controller (feature coming soon)
  • Fit the system anywhere and transport with ease — perfect for fly gigs and bus tours
  • Get the celebrated hallmarks of Avid live sound systems
  • Take your VENUE show files with you on a USB key for use on any Avid live system
Why this is important...
  • Intuitive VENUE SW and ergonomic control surface minimize the learning curve of operation—enables the transfer of show files from larger VENUE systems to S3L
  • Support of open EUCON and Ethernet AVB network protocols ensures compatibility with a variety of Avid and 3rd party products — now and in the future
  • Modular architecture and networked connectivity ensure maximum flexibility in configuring systems and placing I/O
  • Replaces costly and heavy analog cabling and fixed snake head systems — place your I/O up to 328 feet (100 meters) from the console for maximum fidelity over inexpensive, lightweight 350 MHz Cat5e cable
  • Provides the most streamlined, economical approach to integrating Pro Tools recording
  • Enables users to mix Pro Tools sessions as an integrated EUCON controller (upcoming feature)
  • Delivers ultimate flexibility with system modularity that leverages open AVB and EUCON technology, ensuring simple and cost-effective integration into any environment
  • Re-create the sounds of the studio a live setting, with simple, built-in support for the same high-resolution plug-ins used on countless recordings without separate computer or external connections
For pricing and descriptions of the different models, please refer to your Live Sound/VENUE reseller or the Avid S3L web page for product information. The S3L-Systems are expected to be available for order today, Wednesday, May 29, 2013.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:16 PM

Default Re: New Avid live console announced: S3L!

How about ipad control software?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piitzei View Post
How about ipad control software?
It has the legendary ECx control with laptop or tablet.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:25 PM

I want that controller in the studio! How much is it? Is it less than a D-Command?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
I want that controller in the studio! How much is it? Is it less than a D-Command?
You will, but you need to wait. As is, the system will be promised to be shipping on second half of August and at this point it's not known when the controller alone or EUCON controller functionality will be made available.

Price wise I would expect it to be more on a C24 level than D-Command. But as of now, there is no info about any of that so don't take my word on it.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:56 PM

Actually, I take that comment back. I'd prefer a D-Command for many reasons, and the price looks similar:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...new-s3l-system

Cheers to the live-sound guys. This is a great release.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Actually, I take that comment back. I'd prefer a D-Command for many reasons, and the price looks similar:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...new-s3l-system

There is no price for the new controller (just the controller part of the system) yet, so you might be comparing a price of D-Command to a complete S3L system. D-Command is "just a" controller when S3L is a complete system with mic preamps, converters, HDX processing and Pro Tools :)
Old 05-29-2013, 05:39 PM

This is what Live Needs!!! I'm surprised no one have thought of this before. My question is though, would you be able to use more than one control surface?

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 05-30-2013, 07:58 AM

This looks to me like the first offering in a new "next generation" Venue line.

I like that it has the new HDX technology. I realize that the AAX plugin situation is still spotty, but the included plugins look to be sufficient for my needs - so is not a huge issue for me where it might be for some.

I like the modular approach where there is the ability to mix and match the engine, I/O, and surface to your needs.

But I do not like the S3 surface. It does not come close to being a replacement for any of the "classic" Venue surfaces. I must conclude that I am not the target audience for that product. But give me a control surface that is similar to the Profile in terms of fader count and user interface, and I will want to buy it.

Too bad something like that won't be available in the time frame we have for replacing our tired analog console.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
+1 to that!!! I have the pleasure of serving on the board of a small (1,000 seat) theater here in Kansas City that was about to pull the trigger on a Venue system, but felt it was a little overkill for our little house.

Avid has made what looks to be a perfect solution for the small- to mid-size houses out there.
Pro Tools 9.0.6 on Mac OSX, Artist Series, MBox Pro