Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-29-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Re: New Mbox 2 micro!!!!!......

Hey Sunburst,

We seem to have a lot of similar feelings about the Micro...

>>" I really think that a rebadged Transit with the firmware flashed to show as a PTLE device would have done the ticket for most"

I couldn't agree more. It seems to be a cheaper alternative that offers everything the Micro lacks - just need one that works with LE!

>>"People HAVE been asking for a dongle based solution for laptops for a long time so its at least a step in the the right direction. "

Again, very true. It is almost what I want and may be close enough for now - but $250 is a lot to spend on something that is only "close" to what I want. I dunno. Another thing I suppose I should remember is that I don't really HAVE to turn to ProTools for every situation, I just wish I could.

>>"I quess I'm waiting for the MBox2 Micro Pro"

I am so there!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Space Cabin Audio

Now if only Digi could have put some kind of S/PDIF thing on this Micro. DAM! Oh and lowered the price. If I had a laptop, I might consider it. But then the laptop would be a mac, and Logic would look more appetizing, so it's hard to say.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 10-29-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Hey Sunburst,

We seem to have a lot of similar feelings about the Micro...

>>" I really think that a rebadged Transit with the firmware flashed to show as a PTLE device would have done the ticket for most"

I couldn't agree more. It seems to be a cheaper alternative that offers everything the Micro lacks - just need one that works with LE!

>>"People HAVE been asking for a dongle based solution for laptops for a long time so its at least a step in the the right direction. "

Again, very true. It is almost what I want and may be close enough for now - but $250 is a lot to spend on something that is only "close" to what I want. I dunno. Another thing I suppose I should remember is that I don't really HAVE to turn to ProTools for every situation, I just wish I could.

>>"I quess I'm waiting for the MBox2 Micro Pro"

I am so there!!!
I don't want to sound negative all of the time about new LE hardware. I had high hopes for this and waited a month or to until it dropped hoping that there would be a last minute specs change. in the end they still got some more of my money and I go a much more capable solution (Mini) so I'm actually happy.

I would have bought a MPowered Transit a LONG time ago if not for having to buy two separate versions of PT (LE and MPowered ) at upgrade time. Truthfully the re-badged Transit idea is fairly sound. The investment is nearly zero-it fulfills everyones expectations (fancy that!) and the code should already be written....maybe if the Micro takes off they will consider something like a TransitLE. Perhaps the concept is entirely too simple.

I'm sure that people that buy Micros will love them as long as they are made aware of the limitations/system requirements up front. If the marketing focus remains on it being the Protools equivalent of a iPod Shuffle there are probably going to be some disappinted new buyers. For some one that understands the limitations and wants someting to do simple editing (with a trackpad ) midi loop creation, Synth parts ETC its going to be a good thing indeed.

As a PTfanboy I would love see a new product launch the leaves people stunned and amazed across all three product lines doing handsprings in the aisle over the possibilities.

Maybe the Micro will open some new doors....

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-29-2007, 11:40 AM

[QUOTE]

Man!! I'm really having fun now!
Old 10-29-2007, 11:46 AM

Would a USB2 flash stick (4GB) work well with a notebook and a MBOX 2 micro? How are flash sticks in general with Pro Tools?

Digi 002, Pro Tools LE 7
Old 10-29-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Would a USB2 flash stick (4GB) work well with a notebook and a MBOX 2 micro? How are flash sticks in general with Pro Tools?
I have bounced a mix to a flash drive before. Some are faster than others. I'm not sure that you can "Record" multiple tracks to one at once though.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-29-2007, 12:12 PM

So there's the official line from Digi on what "works" and then there's what you can get away with. You're really only limited by your hardware when something fails to work. Try using the pen drive. If it works then it works. If it doesn't, you just won't get any support from Digi or the DUC.

I've said it before. At one time or another, I've broken just about every Digi "rule" there is for recording. Recording to the system drive. Done it. Recording to a pen drive. Yep. Done that too.

I believe the only limitation is your own hardware.

As for pen drives, I've found that they're very picky. I can't work with large multitrack sessions. They also like shorter songs. At some point, the recording loses sync and can't keep up with the writing on the drive. But, I've sat plenty of times and recorded a simple scratch guitar part to a pen drive.

I use the system drive frequently for sessions that are entirely virtual instruments. The only data is midi data. The tones are generated within the VI's. Be sure to use VI's that generate sound rather than read from sample libraries.

As an example: I frequently create drum kit tracks using the pen tool and Xpand's drum kit on my laptop. Then when I get onto my real music computer, I remove Xpand, insert BFD, and away I go.

I'm excited for Micro.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 10-29-2007, 12:16 PM

What specifically about the thumb drives give Pro Tools trouble?

Digi 002, Pro Tools LE 7
Old 10-29-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I think (and I am no expert on flash media) That flash based media has very low latency and relatively high read and write times. I think It may not store data in the same manner as a hard disk drive which make accessing said data much more difficult for PT or any other app needing to move data fast.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I think (and I am no expert on flash media) That flash based media has very low latency and relatively high read and write times. I think It may not store data in the same manner as a hard disk drive which make accessing said data much more difficult for PT or any other app needing to move data fast.
I thought solidstate was very fast especially coupled with a bus like USB2.

Digi 002, Pro Tools LE 7