Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2015, 08:07 AM

Default New HDX Install on Windows

I am a relative novice with respect to Pro Tools but have some experience with other DAWs. I am hoping for some advice/insight from the more experienced users.

Recently I had to abandon my old DAW and have started using PT10HD in order to get more out of my Focusrite RedNet rig. I am very pleased with PT (but still learning) and everything is working extremely well (other than two VIs which I will have to address in due course).

I was interested in upgrading to an HDX card for the low latency and additional processing power. From the installation notes I have seen, Avid recommends installing the card first and then PT. Is there any way I could replace the Focusrite card with the HDX card and run an update or do I have to knock down my entire system and rebuild it after installing the HDX card?

I am aware I need a couple of RedNet 5s to connect the HDX card to my converters. I was just hoping to preserve all my work building the system and structure up to its present state over the last few months.

Any suggestions appreciated,
c.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:02 AM

Default Re: New HDX Install on Windows

I would not rebuild anything. Just pull the other card p, replace with the hdx card and make sure you install the driver from the install package.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-21-2015, 01:26 PM

Much appreciated Brandon.
It turns out it was even more simple than that. I had some trouble with physically placing the card itself because one of my PCIe slots is funky. The same thing happened with the Focusrite card I was using previously.

Once I moved the HDX card to a different slot, it clicked. I did not need to reinstall the HDX drivers as the installation program reported the drivers were previously installed with my PTHD.

Setting up i/o was a breeze and my previous projects are playing back perfectly. My Focusrite RedNet converters are working well with the HDX system. Noticeable performance increase.

For some reason a couple of my synths are no longer working. I will just re-install them.

cheers,
c.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:29 PM

Glad you are happy. I'm running HDX on Windows 10 here, and love it.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com