Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2013, 05:22 AM

Default Will PT10 work with an HD set up or do you need PTHD10?

Hi!

Forum newbie here. I'm currently looking into my upgrade options for PTHD7.4 (yes I know its old - but very stable) and am looking to shift to PT10. Any direct correspondence with Avid hasn't helped me to make a decision on this

The present upgrade cost to PTHD10 is prohibitive but the jump to PT10 is not so, can I do this in the interim period? Will I function ok with a HD system and legacy interfaces?

Any help or advice would be most welcome
Old 07-10-2013, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Will PT10 work with an HD set up or do you need PTHD10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Brook View Post
Hi!

Forum newbie here. I'm currently looking into my upgrade options for PTHD7.4 (yes I know its old - but very stable) and am looking to shift to PT10. Any direct correspondence with Avid hasn't helped me to make a decision on this

The present upgrade cost to PTHD10 is prohibitive but the jump to PT10 is not so, can I do this in the interim period? Will I function ok with a HD system and legacy interfaces?

Any help or advice would be most welcome
Hi,

You need HD to use the TDM cards and plugins of course and be able to acces all the HD features and i/o capabilities.

running non HD you will have only rtas plugins, limited features campared to HD and only 8 i/o using core audio.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 AM

Thank you Chris

I was aware of the TDM plugins being an issue but not the i/o limitation. Is this just with legacy interfaces or more recent ones too?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 AM

I think it's with legacy interfaces. This would be when using the TDM system with Logic, etc.

As mentioned, the TDM system won't work at all with non HD Protools, so you would need to use some other type of interface.

Also, I'm sure you're aware, but there's not an actual upgrade from HD licenses to non-HD licenses. You would need to just buy a full version of PT10 (now 11), or buy an interface bundled with it, like the Mbox Pro or Eleven Rack. It's actually cheaper now to get an Eleven Rack bundled with Protools, than it is to just buy Protools.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:28 AM

So - I went for the non-tiered upgrade (which gives you licenses for PTHD 10,11 & 12)

I first had to buy the upgrade to PT8 HD. Very happy with PTHD 10! Can't believe I didn't make the jump sooner!