Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2011, 06:10 AM

Default Re: PTHD10 for $599 now.

I´m really disappointed too!
Too much money!

Remember, we will certainly have to pay to go AAX to update plug-ins with some developers.
So save some money, folks!

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
here's an interesting thought being discussed on another forum:

"A lightbulb just popped on in my head and it just occurred to me. These guys are smart. Really smart. They always end up on top. (For good reason IMO.)

I think the whole "compromise" about moving people over to a "service plan" to save money on the outrageous upgrade costs was pre-planned. I think they deliberately priced the PT software upgrades high in order to offer us a "way out" --

All the while knowing they were going to change their userbase over to a WUP style yearly "association fee" in order to generate a new form of income stream. It was convenient, in place and ready to go. And people are now giddy to sign up."

here's my own thoughts on this theory:

"the strategy is very clever if you do the math. (clever in a very simple, thugggish kind of way.)

previous upgrades were about $300. so for the sake of argument, let's say they were pocketing $300 annually from every user, as the major "pay" updates happen about once per year. (in the last few years anyway)

now they knock you over the head with an upgrade price that's 3x higher out of nowhere (and in many cases 5x higher or more), and then offer a "way out" as you say, for $600.

pretty sweet... they just doubled their annual take on software upgrades.

(i think i've called support 2 or three times over 15 years... so we all know the actual "support" they're selling is just a pretext. and IMO "support" in the form of bug fixes etc is the company's responsibility to start with for any software product, especially in a so called "closed" system--so i don't count that as "support" that needs paying after the fact by the user.)"

YMMV
That makes so much sense of the situation to me.

It brings me back to earth that AVID is a business. I am now free of all the bs about what's fair or not. I can now soberly conclude, either, Pro Tools from my personal position is what's best for my business or the way that I prefer to work; Or it's not.

Thanks for posting that.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:22 AM

Anyone who perhaps knows if the $599 support plan will become available online as well?

All dealers in europe I checked till now, starting at the one who delivered my hd native set, don't know how to offer such a plan.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:41 AM

Here in the U.S., our dealers were only given the details yesterday, so I would give it a few days.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:02 PM

My dealer charged me for the plan 10/31/11, but my order has not been processed by avid....

Rubicon

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 11-01-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserpathos View Post
At any rate, if PT11 is coming and will be priced higher -- perhaps they could tell us if PT11 is coming super soon. Might make the $599 Avid Standard Support plan/maintenance a sweet deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
I bet the support plan runs out before the next major upgrade as well. They still win. Still a better deal though.
The deal is you get any upgrade while still under the support plan. This offer is valid ti Dec 31st. So buy in the last week of Dec, since if you have been using what ever you have now all this time, another 60 days wouldn't make a difference anyways. That way if they come out with any upgrade or even pt11 in the year 2012, you're getting it free.

Very simple.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:50 PM

The painful part is that it's an upgrade - so you have to install the "old" version then upgrade to the "new" version.

It would be nice to get a full install package so a clean installation could be applied - if the installer could just reference the iLok asset as part of the installation instead of the "old" s/w.....
Old 11-01-2011, 08:03 PM

It is most likely a full installer anyway. They always are.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
It is most likely a full installer anyway. They always are.
That would be good if it is so - when I upgraded from PT7 to PT8 the installer would not work unless I had PT7 installed first...... same with PT9.05 - had to have PT9 installed first.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
That would be good if it is so - when I upgraded from PT7 to PT8 the installer would not work unless I had PT7 installed first...... same with PT9.05 - had to have PT9 installed first.
Hi,

Did you check your Avid account? all the installers should be there and the full installers have always been available to me.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.