Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-16-2021, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Limited Range Deliverables?

For both the features I delivered that spec to, we did the theatrical mix in a proper theatrical dubstage like we would normally do, and then for the +12 limited mix we did those on nearfields with our limiters set to -8 and made any adjustments we felt necessary.

Even though it sort of feels like a 'six-of-one/half-dozen-of-another' scenario (what's the difference between bringing the average UP and running it into a -2 limiter vs leaving the average the same and bringing DOWN the limiter to -8), but in practice, personally, I'd still rather do an R.128 the regular way. I feel I have more control over the dynamics and content monitoring on nearfields at TV reference volume and raising the average mix levels and making adjustments that way, if I had my choice.

But in the end we deliver what the client wants us to deliver, and it all passed QC.

I'm also happy to hear if any others have different workflows or experiences when dealing with this spec, or if they do their process a different way for it, or handle things differently.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
(what's the difference between bringing the average UP and running it into a -2 limiter vs leaving the average the same and bringing DOWN the limiter to -8)
I see what you're saying. I would still have to do 2 different flavours of stereo mixes though and potentially M&E's to match.
I'll keep my fingers crossed they go for the R128.

I totally agree, much nicer to mix to R128 and have the extra dynamic range.
Although you've explained why they might need this type of mix, it still seems like a backward step to me.

The proposals being put forward by Netflix seem much more sensible in terms of translating Theatrical mixes to smaller screens.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:39 AM

Ahoy there!
If anyone is interested in this ongoing saga?
The company agreed to go with a standard R128 mix.
So the moral is as Leverson said:
Quote:
when in doubt, always call and have the conversation!
Old 02-24-2021, 10:09 AM

There may be hope for this world yet.
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 02-25-2021, 12:35 PM

Glad it ended up working out in the end!! Good communication usually smooths out everything for the best!! Thanks for the update on the saga :)
Old 02-27-2021, 09:27 AM

Doing research and looking at the mix on the Universal Logo I think Leverson is completely correct, they want the loudness level (Dialog) to be the same as the original mix but limiting the peaks so the whole dynamic range is limited and will not go over -8dB. I can see this on the universal logo mix, the basic levels on the +20 and +12 were the same but the peaks were clipped a bit on the +12 mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverson View Post
I just wanted to reiterate from my post above, as I've delivered these to major studios. A +12 limited mix is the theatrical mix limited to +12 over reference (so -8dbfs). This allows the distributor to bring the mix up to TV deliverable levels on their side.

So instead of raising the average levels of your feature mix UP from theatrical (let's say for example -30db average) to average CALM act TV levels (-24 average in the US) INSTEAD you are bringing your limiter DOWN and clamping your peaks at -8db true peak.

It is NOT -24 average levels AND -8 peak.

I think the reason why some studios do this is it gives them the flexibility to deliver their films to various regions through their own internal pipelines. So they can bring the average up to -24db/-2 true peak for US TV, -23db/-1 true peak for European TV, Netflix or streaming to their own -27 dialnorm standards, and all the other many standards that are out there etc, without needing separate mixes for each, or a mix that tries to straddle the US/EU/streaming tolerances all at once.

Again, it's always good to clarify specs and have a discussion, as some distributors copy/paste without really understanding what they are asking for and why on their spec sheets, but a +12 limited mix is a real modern deliverable that I see from time to time for my theatrical deliveries.

EDITED TO ADD: honestly I hadn't seen it prior to about maybe a year or so ago, but I've had two feature projects since then list it on their spec sheet, and during our deliverables call were very clear they did not want an R.128 mix instead. A third one also had it listed on their deliverables, but during our deliverables call decided they'd rather have the traditional R.128. So when in doubt, always call and have the conversation!