How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 01-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Default Re: E.T.A On P.T 9 64bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
My understanding is yes. It will run under the 64-bit kernel. However some 3rd party software won't.
That's a valid point. There are some other threads where people have tried with 64-bit kernel and not much issues with PT itself (even 8.x) but some key plugins/drivers may stop working.

So, if the statement on support page "means" 64-bit kernel is now also supported, then at least it's bundled plugins should work.

But again, not made very clear (perhaps in purpose to help selling against Logic) and in that case the possible benefits of running 64-bit kernel should be also explained.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Right and staying with a 32-bit kernel will likely result in less memory consumed by the kernel.

Since I asked the leading question -- There really is no reason today anybody here should want/need a 64-bit kernel. Maximum physical RAM addressable by a 32-bit OS X kernel is 32 GB (the OS uses the Intel PAE architecture to overcome the 32 bit size limit without being 64 bit).
Good point, which leads back to thinking there should be really nothing preventing Avid from fixing memory limitation in the RTAS engine, already today, despite the kernel mode.

(Unless the fear is loosing some well paying TDM customers...)

Last edited by notesbuddy; 01-05-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 PM

Nothing except its a big hairy ugly monster that will cause problems for and destabilize stuff working now. If it was easy to do technically and free of nasty impacts Avid (and Apple and other vendors with similar products with related issues) would have done it to all their products already.

Darryl
Old 01-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Nothing except its a big hairy ugly monster that will cause problems for and destabilize stuff working now.
Definitely not wanting to risk ongoing projects with plenty of plugins loaded, so either backward compatibility, ability to run two RTAS engines concurrently (old and new) or just seemless transition (not very likely) would be expected.

As some other plugin vendors seem to have managed to workaround the issue by using other engines, maybe that's the way for Avid as well (without touching the existing/working architecture)...
Old 01-06-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Maximum physical RAM addressable by a 32-bit OS X kernel is 32 GB. Folks who need over 32 GB of total physical memory on their systems are the first who need a 64-bit kernel.
However that doesn't apply to an old OS like XP. People who made the jump from XP, X64, Vista, Windows 7 have only just been able to get off the 3.5GB XP RAM limit. + I've never seen space for 32GB of RAM in any PC system. Most of us arn't Hans Zimmer with racks upon racks of external kit. Someone email me when pc's start having that much housing RAM space. Not that it seems the plan. I think the idea of DDR3 was to be able to save on space while maximizing efficiency, speed. Again, DDR2 loads of RAM Vs DDR3 brute speed, less bulk. I know we all know this.....

As MAC are the preferred platform for media editing with space for 16/32 ram the systems have always been more robust.

Geographically MACs over the last 6 years have become more available. Mac shops popping up all around, which in England is a rather new thing. While the states have been MAC happy for years I feel the U.k is just starting to have MAC's as a valid competitive choice. Sure you had audio guys using the G4's/G5's but in the last 3 years it's gone SUPER GLOBAL.

It's true.

If a system is 32Bit & could/can access 16/32GB of RAM, 64Bit really doesn't have any appeal. 64Bit then becomes a formality.

On the other hand if your PC O/S requires 64Bit to access over 4GB, that's another story. Then 64Bit becomes a necessary crucial factor.

Hence the reason I suppose why MAC dudes are "What's the hurry" & PC's dudes are "I hope it's sorted out"
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Brown View Post
However that doesn't apply to an old OS like XP. People who made the jump from XP, X64, Vista, Windows 7 have only just been able to get off the 3.5GB XP RAM limit. + I've never seen space for 32GB of RAM in any PC system. Most of us arn't Hans Zimmer with racks upon racks of external kit. Someone email me when pc's start having that much housing RAM space. Not that it seems the plan. I think the idea of DDR3 was to be able to save on space while maximizing efficiency, speed. Again, DDR2 loads of RAM Vs DDR3 brute speed, less bulk. I know we all know this.....

As MAC are the preferred platform for media editing with space for 16/32 ram the systems have always been more robust.

Geographically MACs over the last 6 years have become more available. Mac shops popping up all around, which in England is a rather new thing. While the states have been MAC happy for years I feel the U.k is just starting to have MAC's as a valid competitive choice. Sure you had audio guys using the G4's/G5's but in the last 3 years it's gone SUPER GLOBAL.

It's true.

If a system is 32Bit & could/can access 16/32GB of RAM, 64Bit really doesn't have any appeal. 64Bit then becomes a formality.

On the other hand if your PC O/S requires 64Bit to access over 4GB, that's another story. Then 64Bit becomes a necessary crucial factor.

Hence the reason I suppose why MAC dudes are "What's the hurry" & PC's dudes are "I hope it's sorted out"
Ahrm.. a bit wrong here

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813182246
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813151220
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813182177

You can run a pc desktop on a server board with good result and have 64 Gig of ram and more, with pcie, and no problem upgrading in the future instead of having to spend a vast amount of money on a new computer because you are stuck with no upgrade possibility.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Brown View Post
I've never seen space for 32GB of RAM in any PC system. Most of us arn't Hans Zimmer with racks upon racks of external kit. Someone email me when pc's start having that much housing RAM space.
Actually, I have an HP Z600 and it can house up to 48GB of DDR3 ECC Registered Ram, very expensive. Its more of a workstation than a general consumer PC. I believe the Z600 and 800 can handle up to 48 GB just as long as the memory is registered and the motherboard has the C2 revision. There are six slots, three for each processor. I will only upgrade to 24GB DDR3 ECC unregistered ram however. This is probably overkill as well though, but I like to be prepared for the future.

ABS
1GB Samsung 840 EVO Sample Library HD|
PTHD 10.3.6 & 11.1.3|HD Native Core|Lynx Aurora 16 HD|Dangerous Monitor ST|
UAD2 Octo Core Card
Old 01-06-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I've never seen space for 32GB of RAM in any PC system.
What??????

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Please excuse my ignorance, but is the standard config and boot-up of the current MBP's OSX v10.6 Snow Leopard 32-bit kernel or 64-bit kernel? I gather from this thread I want to operate in 32-bit kernel esp. considering my 4GB RAM. But do I have to do anything special to boot up in 32-bit kernel or is that the standard boot config for MBP? Am I even making sense? (I'm out of my element).

Thanks.
Profire 2626, Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini
OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro 1.0TB Quad - 7200 RPM Serial ATA external record drive
(1.0TB Hitachi Deskstar™ 7K1000.C internal mechanism) w/ Oxford Semiconductor 924 (OXUF924DS) chipset
CASIO CZ-1 synthesizer
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half drag View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but is the standard config and boot-up of the current MBP's OSX v10.6 Snow Leopard 32-bit kernel or 64-bit kernel? I gather from this thread I want to operate in 32-bit kernel esp. considering my 4GB RAM. But do I have to do anything special to boot up in 32-bit kernel or is that the standard boot config for MBP? Am I even making sense? (I'm out of my element).

Thanks.
If you aren't having problems... I really wouldn't be concerned about it.

Honestly, I think there is a little too much debate about 32bit vs. 64bit EFI on a 64bit OS, since most people don't even know what it even does.

Basically, it comes down to this:

If you install some 32bit software and it ain't working properly, you can try booting the OS in 32bit kernel by holding down 3 and 2 during bootup. However, it is my understanding that only the latest Mac Pros actually default to 64bit kernel on bootup.

So it's most likely the other way around for you. Meaning, to boot into 64bit kernel on a Macbook, hold down 6 and 4 during bootup.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515