Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2020, 10:26 AM

Default Reloading a project I just saved 10 mins back..can't find files?

I literally have not deleted any files from clip browser, or from the finder, and I have not moved the project.

All I did was close pro tools then re open it around 10 mins later and reloaded the project I was working on, and it says it can't find freeze files.

It could not find them by auto searching either.

is this a new one with 2019.12? I mean I need my projects to reload and play!

PT is really starting to annoy me the last month, and no one loves PT more than me (I really do love the workflow I just wish it wasn't so damn buggy!)

Luckily, I was able to work around it by unfreezing the tracks, and they reverted to their original audio.. But next time I might not be so lucky..

anyone else experienced this?

So now we have in 2019.12

1) midi selection recording timing bug
2) Random freeze file lost bug
3) Alt-H move clip bug still persists with samples (on windows it's fine) with beats/measures ruler
4) Random midi output connections lost on project reload, impossible to predict. If you are using a decent amount of VI's and or external midi, you will definitely lose a connection or two. I have NEVER seen ANY other DAW do this ever.

JFreak told me to start support tickets.. I already have, a couple years back, for 3 and 4. I have exchanged MANY emails with them and the final result is always "it's on the list but no ETA". So tell me what more can I do jfreak?

Yes, of course I will create a support request about these two new bugs.

At this stage I would just love to know if anyone else has a problem with missing freeze files on reload.. this happened on my mojave partition but could happen on windows too for all I know, so any input welcomed.

I barely use freeze - so this might be an older issue that I only just found out about.

however, I really want to START using freeze more when I realised just how excellent PT's version of it is, and how easy to use up to certain inserts only.. Once a track is done, that's a great way to save resources, particularly on VI's!

Note to Avid, if you ever read this.. being able to copy and paste frozen audio would be mental (in a good way).
Old 02-18-2020, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Reloading a project I just saved 10 mins back..can't find files?

Was there any external drive connected(when you last ran the session) that is now not connected? Re the idea of copy/paste audio while frozen, just use Track Commit instead. Doing this gives you total edit control, but your original track can be kept just as you left it, with the options of making inactive and/or hiding. Personally, I am a big fan of Track Commit, and not a fan of Track Freeze

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-18-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Was there any external drive connected(when you last ran the session) that is now not connected? Re the idea of copy/paste audio while frozen, just use Track Commit instead. Doing this gives you total edit control, but your original track can be kept just as you left it, with the options of making inactive and/or hiding. Personally, I am a big fan of Track Commit, and not a fan of Track Freeze
I HAVE been using commit, not freeze.. that's what I meant. But I am really enjoying the speed and SINGLE click of freeze :)

No, just the macbook with it's internal SSD! Weird huh.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post

No, just the macbook with it's internal SSD! Weird huh.
Yep

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-20-2020, 03:33 AM

Might be this issue:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...he-wrong-audio
Old 02-20-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I literally have not deleted any files from clip browser, or from the finder, and I have not moved the project.

All I did was close pro tools then re open it around 10 mins later and reloaded the project I was working on, and it says it can't find freeze files.

It could not find them by auto searching either.

is this a new one with 2019.12? I mean I need my projects to reload and play!

PT is really starting to annoy me the last month, and no one loves PT more than me (I really do love the workflow I just wish it wasn't so damn buggy!)

Luckily, I was able to work around it by unfreezing the tracks, and they reverted to their original audio.. But next time I might not be so lucky..

anyone else experienced this?

So now we have in 2019.12

2) Random freeze file lost bug
3) Alt-H move clip bug still persists with samples (on windows it's fine) with beats/measures ruler
4) Random midi output connections lost on project reload, impossible to predict. If you are using a decent amount of VI's and or external midi, you will definitely lose a connection or two. I have NEVER seen ANY other DAW do this ever.

JFreak told me to start support tickets.. I already have, a couple years back, for 3 and 4. I have exchanged MANY emails with them and the final result is always "it's on the list but no ETA". So tell me what more can I do jfreak?

Yes, of course I will create a support request about these two new bugs.

At this stage I would just love to know if anyone else has a problem with missing freeze files on reload.. this happened on my mojave partition but could happen on windows too for all I know, so any input welcomed.

I barely use freeze - so this might be an older issue that I only just found out about.

however, I really want to START using freeze more when I realised just how excellent PT's version of it is, and how easy to use up to certain inserts only.. Once a track is done, that's a great way to save resources, particularly on VI's!

Note to Avid, if you ever read this.. being able to copy and paste frozen audio would be mental (in a good way).
It's not a new bug. I have experienced this a few times in 12.8.1. After the initial panic I solved it by unfreezing, then refreezing the affected tracks. The files showed up then.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
It's not a new bug. I have experienced this a few times in 12.8.1. After the initial panic I solved it by unfreezing, then refreezing the affected tracks. The files showed up then.
Thanks for confirming...

Yeah at least in my mind I can feel secure that unfreeze seems to work, so I won't actually lose anything, which is the most important thing.

Cheers.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
+1 for damn effing buggy!

Quote:
New to 2019 so I haven't experienced this yet. How does it present itself?

Quote:
I've had this for years. Totally unacceptable! Avid never seems to know their priorities when it comes to bug-fixes!

Quote:
Freeze is a a great feature especially with VI's and plugins, where PT is especially weak CPU-wise. Fortunately unfreezing/refreezing solves the missing file issue.

Quote:
Yes! But Avid never listens. A frozen track is exactly that...frozen solid. A partial defrost (at least) would be super!