Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2022, 03:47 PM

Default MTRX Studio ADAT sync issues with external Audit ASP880 Mic Pre

Hi All,

I have an MTRX -Studio connected to an external mic pre that has an ADAT Out connecting to the ADAT 1 port in the MTRX Studio. As you can see from the screen shot attached everything looks correct and in sync. I have external MIDI modules connected to this mic pre and when I start playing these modules I get audio for about anywhere from 10-30 seconds and then the green dot next to the ADAT 1 panel in DADMAN turns to a yellow triangle and audio stops until it turns green and regains sync. So it seems that it is somehow loosing sync temporarily.

Anybody seen this before? I have tried with new ADAT cables, I have tried it with the MTRX set to sync from the ADAT port and it happens again.

Here is my Sync setting flow:

MTRX (Internal)--- WCOUT------}Apogee Big Ben WC IN----Big Ben WC 1 OUT----}ASP880 micpre WC IN and the unit is set to external sync
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 3.37.19 PM.jpg (34.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-22-2022, 09:24 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio ADAT sync issues with external Audit ASP880 Mic Pre

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknaub View Post
Hi All,

I have an MTRX -Studio connected to an external mic pre that has an ADAT Out connecting to the ADAT 1 port in the MTRX Studio. As you can see from the screen shot attached everything looks correct and in sync. I have external MIDI modules connected to this mic pre and when I start playing these modules I get audio for about anywhere from 10-30 seconds and then the green dot next to the ADAT 1 panel in DADMAN turns to a yellow triangle and audio stops until it turns green and regains sync. So it seems that it is somehow loosing sync temporarily.

Anybody seen this before? I have tried with new ADAT cables, I have tried it with the MTRX set to sync from the ADAT port and it happens again.

MTRX (Internal)--- WCOUT------}Apogee Big Ben WC IN----Big Ben WC 1 OUT----}ASP880 micpre WC IN and the unit is set to external sync
What happens if you take the Big Ben out of the equation and connect the MTRX Studio WC Out directly to the ASP880 WC In?
Old 09-22-2022, 09:38 AM

^^^ yes even if it’s not the problem, the Big Ben here will be doing absolutely nothing for you except wasting rack space and some cables

You are using 75 ohm WC BNC cables and they are properly terminated at each end? Like the ASP880 WC BNC is set to 75 ohm to terminate that run of coax?
Old 09-22-2022, 11:34 AM

Hi, Yes I tried it without the Big Ben, I am using the BB to send to other Digital Devices via WC. but non the less the drop outs still happen with out it in the loop.

and yes I am using all 75 Ohm Cables and everything is properly terminated at the mic pre as well as T connectors with 75 Ohm terminators on them.

Scratching my head on this one.....

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-22-2022, 03:23 PM

Someone here has had similar issues in the past and suggested trying an ADAT loop test to see if the problems were with the MTRX Studio or preamps. If you patch the ADAT output of the MTRX Studio back into the input and pipe some audio through it, do the dropouts still occur?

There was also a firmware issue with early models of ASP-880 that prevented them from resolving sync with UAD devices. I have no idea if it affects your unit, or the MTRX Studio but it might be worth pursuing if the ADAT loopback test works ok. https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us...lo-and-ASP880-
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:41 AM

Thanks, will try that loopback test. I also did try try the Mic pre as the Master Clock and that didn't matter either. will also reach out to Audient support
Old 09-28-2022, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknaub View Post
Hi All,

Hi,

Just curious why you would use the MTRX Studio's WC as master instead of the Big Ben? I'm using the Big Ben to provide WC for a MTRX Studio, 3 Avid I/O's and a couple of Adat AD/DA converters with Ext. WC (including an older ASP800) and it's been rock solid throughout the years with various converters. Do you think the MTRX Studio's clock is better than Big Ben? If so, I might have to switch

Stein Tore
Old 09-28-2022, 04:19 PM

Hi, I did not do any kind of clock test for sonic differences. I set it up that way primarily out of convince so that what ever the session sample rate is in protools atomically drives all the downstream gear. I didn't want to have to change the sample rate on the front panel of the Big Ben

HTH

Randy
Old 09-28-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steins View Post
Hi,

Just curious why you would use the MTRX Studio's WC as master instead of the Big Ben? I'm using the Big Ben to provide WC for a MTRX Studio, 3 Avid I/O's and a couple of Adat AD/DA converters with Ext. WC (including an older ASP800) and it's been rock solid throughout the years with various converters. Do you think the MTRX Studio's clock is better than Big Ben? If so, I might have to switch

Stein Tore
We've been down this rat hole multiple times. No quality modern interface needs to be "improved" by running external magical clocks.

If you need fancier clock boxes to physically just drive different devices/fan out clock signals enough then great. But there is just no other justification for this stuff, and I'll eat my hat if anybody can show an audible difference in double blind tests.

Hope the OP got the original problem solved...
Old 09-30-2022, 09:23 AM

UPDATE- Ordered some new ADAT cables and that fixed the problem. Even though I tried two other cables before ....

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.