Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 09-27-2013, 02:42 PM

Default Cannot open PT9 Session in PT10 - ""could not complete the open sessions command..."

I'm an unable to open a client's PT9 Session in PT10. Everytime I try it says, "could not complete the open sessions command because an error occurred" but doesn't say what error. I have tried holding down shift (Windows7 64 PC) so as to disable plugins but I just get a Waves window and the same problem occurs. My client is on Mac but I am on PC. We exported her session using "Save Copy In" and then used a thumb drive. Her track does have plugins on it (some midi instruments, AIR stuff, etc) but we disabled most of them prior to transfer. Oh, I am also using a 512 buffer size. Any help?

Thx
Eleven Rack
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Tascam DM 4800 Console
Tascam if-fw/dm mkii (A/D Converter Card)
Old 09-27-2013, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Cannot open PT9 Session in PT10 - ""could not complete the open sessions command.

Did she/you also check to "copy all audio" etc. when you did a Save Copy In?

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Cannot open PT9 Session in PT10 - ""could not complete the open sessions command.

Have you tried making a new session and using Import Session Data?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-01-2013, 08:37 AM

Yes, I have tried both of these and neither works :/

On the flash drive, all of the files/track takes are there. So there doesn't look to be anything missing. Perhaps it was something she did wrong when she tracked her stuff? I'm a relatively new to PT - as only a couple of months ago I picked up PT10 w/ the Eleven Rack (GC sale) and I'm still going through the self-education process with it (I was a Sonar user for years prior). What else might be the problem?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:55 AM

It may be that your PC simply cannot read the drive if it's formatted as a Mac HFS, HFS+ or HSFX.

However, I believe there are utilities that can do this and the read only feature may well be free.

I'd look at that avenue.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 AM

My PC seems to read the drive just fine. In fact, we formatted the thumb drive as FAT32 (on my client's Mac) prior to putting the PT10 sessions on it and bringing it over to my studio (and I'm even able to copy the files from the drive to my PC). Did we miss something? I did download HSFExplorer but I'm still confused as to what the problem is.

UPDATE: I figured it out. FIXED! For some reason PT saved two different session files onto the thumb drive. One of those files was empty (0 kb) and the other one (I had to search for it) was the real one (it had about 8000+ kb in it). I didn't notice this until now and so each time I kept trying to open the file it was the one with nothing in it (weird!). The session is now opened and working fine (except of course there are some missing plugins but that's OK).
Eleven Rack
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Tascam DM 4800 Console
Tascam if-fw/dm mkii (A/D Converter Card)

Last edited by median; 10-01-2013 at 12:14 PM.