Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-26-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Blue Screen of Death after getting current Pace drivers

Seems my system that worked wonderfully for Digi001 that could process 32 tracks with 4 plugins per track, is throwing Blue Screen of death after installation of Pro Tools 7.1 for a Digi002 Factory. I had removed my Digi001 since when installing there was not an upgrade path. I removed the software and then removed the card. Powering down after each.

I then installed Pro Tools 7.1. Reboot and launch Pro Tools Splash screen is flashed and a Blue Screen of death. I have never been beaten by a BOD but this one has me stumped. Previously with Digi001 you needed to edit the boot.ini file in order to get it to work, which I did. Seems I cannot find the magical combination for Digi002.

I have uninstalled and the system works great. I re-install and launch Pro Tools and it crashes.

So I try authorizing before launching and find I need to setup my iLok dongle. Also, I see there are updated Pace drivers (www.paceap.com, had to hunt that down). I install the updated drivers, register my dongle, and authorize my Pro Tools. My dongle was plugged in. I power down. I figure, good to go, right? Hell no, BOD upon Pro Tools launch! Argh!!!!!!

I figure I might be able to find an answer in DUC like I could, might I say easily for Digi001, and all I can find is mostly system configurations of many who are stuck too with nothing that rings true for my sytem. Have I bought an an albatross?

Better yet, upon authorization I get a 7.3 amnesty update and when I authorize and start the download, because I feel this will fix the BOD, my system crashes with another BOD. Crap!!! Now I cannot get to the 7.3 download again.

I am starting to become a very unhappy customer. Can some please set me on the right course?

Once again, I have the current pace drivers, I may be able to get to the 7.3 download again, I hope. I figure I do not need to authorize again, since I have already authorized. it's just a case of getting clean uninstall, power down and get a clean install (update the iLok drivers).

BTW: I do not remove the firewire cable with the unit on or even with the PC on. I have not fried my Digi002 via the current wire harness problem. I verified that with a local repair guy. I have system that worked with Digi001, I did not use the Asus A8V built-in 1394 port and bought the 64 bit 1394 recommended 1394 card. I do not have anything installed other than default XP junk and I have disabled my floppy, serial and parallel ports. I have this in a secondary hardware profile. I am good at this from building gaming systems. I will uninstall and post my config (once the BOD stops) to this thread.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I will be prowling at least every 4 hours. I really want to start recording again...soon

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to get this right before giving up. I bought this at the end of Jan. and did not have time to convert from 001 to 002 until the beginning of March. It's been 2 weeks of due diligence on my part...HELP!!!!
4GB DDR2 ECC Reg
2 300GB SATA HD
Thermaltake VA8003BWS
Antec 550HE Modular P/S
Old 03-26-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Blue Screen of Death after getting current Pace drivers

Previous Config

Win XP SP2
Digi001
PTLE 5.3.1
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (939)
1GB Corsair TwinX DDR400
128MB Nvidia GeForce FX5200

Now
Win XP SP2
Digi002 Factory
PTLE 7.1
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (939)
1GB Corsair TwinX DDR400
128MB Nvidia GeForce FX5200

I have an AMD X2 3800+ waiting on me to get this working before I add that to the mix. I also have another 1GB of Corsair DDR400. I think this will be be sufficient without having to build the Allenstein $1500 Quad AMD beast ( I want to but I want $1500 worth of gear before I want a 4th computer system).
4GB DDR2 ECC Reg
2 300GB SATA HD
Thermaltake VA8003BWS
Antec 550HE Modular P/S
Old 03-27-2007, 10:38 PM

What I would do is a fresh install of Windows XP SP2. There is probably something from your 001 still in the registry. Protools uninstalls have been known to not work completely. Of course you should back up all needed files first.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 04-01-2007, 09:58 PM

Since I was going to re-install the OS, I upgraded my CPU to an AMD 3800+ X2 which required flashing the BIOS first.

I have finished re-installing the OS and still am updating the OS with the lastest patches. Hopefully should be close to finished on Tues. evening. Got to get the audio drives recognized since they are on a secondary controller.

Since I am new to the iLok and how things get registered in it, hopefully I do not have to go through too many hoops to get that straightened out since I had started some authorizations before I re-installed.
4GB DDR2 ECC Reg
2 300GB SATA HD
Thermaltake VA8003BWS
Antec 550HE Modular P/S
Old 04-02-2007, 04:17 PM

If you need to redownload your 7.3 upgrade you can find the links after signing into your "My Digi" page.

There are a couple of patches you will probably need to do...... The "Dual Core Hotfix" and "Dual Core Optimizer" both downloads are at AMD's website.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-05-2007, 08:23 AM

Heyya, thanks guys for replying.

Well, I updated my BIOS (Asus 8V Deluxe) and upgraded to an AMD 3800+ X2. Finished re-installing XP Sp2 and loading all of the 50+ hotfixes.

Problem is I was using the Promise RAID controller in IDE bus master mode for my audio drives previously. Trying to get my audio drives installed/recognized in XP was throwing me for a loop. So in the meantime I reflashed my BIOS, well there was a hotfix update this Tues. from Microsoft. I avoided powering up on Tues. to avoid it. Well when I booted on Wed. evening, I reflashed and the update started in the middle of the re-flash (note: always stop everything when flashing a BIOS, I know better). needless to say it corrupted the BIOS. No big deal, since this is crashproof BIOS on the ASUS mobo, you just need your original boot disk....

Here's where I can help someone, if you are going to reflash to support an AMD X2 on an ASUS 8V deluxe, make a copy of your ASUS driver cd and put a copy of the 1.017 BIOS on the CDROM. Find the A8VBIOS.ROM file and replace it with the new .ROM file (rename it to the same name). That way if you ever corrupt your BIOS you can properly recover.

Now to continue...
\
So rebooting it says I have a corrupt BIOS and it searches for a recovery floppy or the drivers CD, it finds it and loads the A8VBIOS.ROM file from the CD, it flashes and reboots, oops, nothing happens. Why you ask? Because, the original BIOS does not support dual core!!!!!! Oops. This is a recoverable mistake but the Thermaltake heatsink I put on gave me 2 blood blisters ( I use those because they are usually about 15-18 db). I would have to install my old CPU and then flash and then install the new CPU. More than likely I would have to re-install the OS again too. Crap!!!!

I am now cruising the Quadzilla thread and highly considering getting my parts to get one going. If I am going to do all of that work listed in the paragraph before, then I might as well rebuild.

Once again, I really thank you guys for your assistance. I will do my best to give back, since I do have excellent hardware knowledge, just lazy and out of practice (thus my current mistake).
4GB DDR2 ECC Reg
2 300GB SATA HD
Thermaltake VA8003BWS
Antec 550HE Modular P/S
Old 04-05-2007, 08:52 AM

You will need to install your old processer to flash the new BIOS.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 AM

I'm sorry your going through this. Doesn't copy protection suck. All this to keep an honest user from stealing when there are oodles of thieves out there no matter how hard they try to prevent it. (I'm an honest user, I never use pirated software)

Good luck.

John

Old 04-12-2007, 02:21 PM

Well, since I had some free time on my hand the other night, I removed the AMD 64 X2 (got that mini-tsunami off easier than getting it on) and put on my original AMD 64. No sign of life. Not even fortunate enough to get any system beeps.

So I went and ordered that Tyan mobo that handles the dual Opteron socket F. I also ordered 2 2112 Opteron Santa Rose HE CPUs. They run at ~65 watts! Once the mobo gets in, I will check the footprint to see if 2 of the mini-tsunami's can coexist. The sattelite fans will help with cooling since all of the DDR2 ECC registered DIMM pairs I can find do not have heat spreaders.

I would have put time into fixing this and may still while waiting for all of my parts to arrive. Now to find a decent price on XP Pro.

Thanks guys...
4GB DDR2 ECC Reg
2 300GB SATA HD
Thermaltake VA8003BWS
Antec 550HE Modular P/S
Old 04-13-2007, 10:04 PM

Seems socket F has 2 knobs on their heatsinks that go through the mobo and latch into a plate on the underside. So that means no mini-tsunami but since these are 65W CPU I am installing (HE - High Efficiency), a passive heatsink will work. Just thought I would post that info in case someone else is going to socket F and hoping to re-use their heatsink.
4GB DDR2 ECC Reg
2 300GB SATA HD
Thermaltake VA8003BWS
Antec 550HE Modular P/S