Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-31-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Midi won\'t play

it's me with my dumb questions again. I'm new at this. i recorded some midi, but it won't play back. my click track plays, so i know i have audio, and when i recorded it, i had audio (although i don't know if that's that same at all as playback). so if anyone can help me with this probably simple issue, that would be much appreciated. thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Midi won\'t play

What is your track setup like? Have you got a Stereo AUX with your virtual instrument inserted in it and have you selected the correct output on your MIDI track?

Just narrowing down some possibilities
Old 10-31-2005, 06:59 PM

yeah. that confuses me a bit. cuz there's the midi track, and the aux track. but you don't have the plug ins in the midi, you have them in the aux. so if i'm not getting sound, i dont get which track has the problem. haha. sorry, my recording capabilities are still in their infancy, and these are probably really simple problems. i just dont get how come the out in the midi track can be my vsthost but not in the aux. is it going through both of them? i mean, I get that midi is signals, not sound. but i'm st. ill a bit confused. i just want to make my music!!! haha. anyway, hope that made any sense. thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 07:10 PM

Pretty much, the MIDI goes into the MIDI Track, which outputs to the virtual instrument that is running as a plugin on an Aux track.

I think that you can agree that the new Instrument track in PT 7 will be of immense use to you. It will take this MIDI to Plugin on Aux track and make it into a single track where the MIDI and audio data co-exist. Makes it much simpler.

Hope that helps.

rMacBook Pro 2.2 gHz Core i7, 10.10.3
16 GB RAM
MOTU 828mkII, PT 12.1 HD
Axiom 61, 2xArtist Mix
Old 10-31-2005, 08:36 PM

Quote:
yeah. that confuses me a bit. cuz there's the midi track, and the aux track. but you don't have the plug ins in the midi, you have them in the aux. so if i'm not getting sound, i dont get which track has the problem. i just dont get how come the out in the midi track can be my vsthost but not in the aux. is it going through both of them?
nataliatune

Have a look at the MIDI section (Chapter Thirteen) in this Reference Guide

Hopefully this will clear any of those complexities.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:11 AM

right, but why can i not hear the playback on my midi track?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:12 AM

right, but why can i not hear the playback on the midi track i recorded?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:06 PM

Don't delete what you have done thus far, but open a new session and create a Stereo AUX, in this AUX insert your virtual instrument. Secondly on the AUX track make sure the Fader is at unity gain 0dB. Create a MIDI track, make sure that the Input of the MIDI track is set to All and set the Output of the MIDI track to what channel your virtual instrument is using, usually channel one. Record enable the MIDI track and for rehearsal purposes click Input Monitoring mode, this will give you the ability to set your levels. Get back to me on now you have done following these steps. This has happened to me once before and all I done was create a new session and playback worked. If this doesn't work we have to start looking at other possiblities, like what Virtual Instrument you are using, etc? Hopefully someone with a little more experience will chime in like spkguitar or Shane.

filosofem
Old 11-02-2005, 07:20 PM

I don't know what the [bleep] is going on with my [bleep]! I created a new session and it still wont play back. Would it have something to do with the fact that on my stereo it's a different line or whatever (I have to switch it back and forth) from when I actually play something and when I play it back. Does that make sense? If I am on the one where I can hear the playback but not physically playing through my keyboard and vst host I still get signals though. I'm such a dork, sorry if I talk about this stuff like a 3 yr. old!Ihave an old stereo that I'm using, so I dont know what the stupid knob is that I'm twisting to hear different things, but it sais tape over it. Anyway, I think I might know the least about things out of everyone here. I feel so stupid!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Would it have something to do with the fact that on my stereo it's a different line or whatever (I have to switch it back and forth) from when I actually play something and when I play it back. Does that make sense? If I am on the one where I can hear the playback but not physically playing through my keyboard and vst host I still get signals though.
Hi nataliatune

Don't feel stupid, you have to learn how to crawl before you can walk, I'm still crawling myself, but every now and then I'm able to stand up, but more often than not gravity wins. If you don't ask question's how are you to find the answer's.

Are you listening to your creations through a home stereo?
Secondly, what sort of Digi hardware are you using?
...And you also mentioned something about VST host?

filosofem