Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-03-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Midi won\'t play

Have you made sure that you have midi cables going to and from your synth or virtual instrument? It seems simple but this can can be overlooked.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:51 AM

the stereo i'm using belonged to my mom, and is quite old (i got my speakers at a thrift store), my hardware is an Mbox, and my vst host is something i downloaded for macs that i can use to play my Steinberg instruments. other than that, the only plugins i have are the ones that came with pro tools (once i get myself together a bit more, i will delve into the depths of reason adapted). thanks so much for helping.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:47 PM

nataliatune

Can you elaborate on this?

Quote:
Would it have something to do with the fact that on my stereo it's a different line or whatever (I have to switch it back and forth) from when I actually play something and when I play it back.

And can you describe how you have your MIDI controller setup?

filosofem
Old 11-04-2005, 07:29 PM

i dont. i just have my m-audio radium synth (midi), which isn't set to control anything. i'm all clicky with the mouse still. that's another project that i have no idea how to start. (that is what you meant, right?)
Old 11-04-2005, 08:00 PM

Quote:
i just have my m-audio radium synth (midi), which isn't set to control anything.
Well, I think we should get this setup, ah? Now do you have a MIDI interface, because the Digi Mbox does not have MIDI I/O's? (Input and Output)

...And how have of routed your Mbox to your home stereo?

filosofem
Old 11-08-2005, 11:36 AM

i thought all i needed was the mbox. so no, i don't have anything else. my mbox is connected to my stereo with those... i think they're 1/4 inch cables. sorry.... i dont know what you call those. if you look on the back of my mbox, there's the four holes together, and my cables are in the upper two. i so appreciate your patience and help, thank you so much.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:05 PM

nataliatune

Quote:
i just have my m-audio radium synth (midi)
Is this a soft synth, you have no MIDI Controller (no keybroad hardware)?

Quote:
Would it have something to do with the fact that on my stereo it's a different line or whatever (I have to switch it back and forth) from when I actually play something and when I play it back.
Why do you have to do this for?

filosofem

Old 11-09-2005, 07:54 AM

no, i have no other hardware. just my midi keyboard, mbox, and my mac ibook. as for the weird stereo thing.... i have no idea. i switch it for different things from "moniter" to "duplicate" (tape 1, tape 2). why didnt anyone tell me i needed more hardware? i got all this at gutar center, and i even took all my stuff in there once to have a guy help me get set up right and he didnt say anything. it records on protools, though. I thought i just had a problem with the sound or the ins/outs cuz i get confused about that.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:36 PM

Quote:
i even took all my stuff in there once to have a guy help me get set up right and he didnt say anything.
So you have your MIDI keyboard routed via MIDI I/O to USB? (a MIDI cable that has a IN plug and a OUT plug, that is connected to your MIDI keyboard and then connected to your MAC ibook via USB) In other words did this guy set you up, keyboard routed to ibook and mbox to ibook?

What softsynth program(s) are you running? Your MIDI sounds.

Are you going to upgrade to LE 7? This would be a good idea.

filosofem

Old 11-10-2005, 07:25 AM

yes, everything is connected vie usb. if it would help my cause, i will update to 7. i'm 6.7 now. the program i'm using for sounds on my midi keyboard is steinberg instruments thru a vst host. (is that what you mean by sofsynth program)?