Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2008, 08:41 PM

Default Anybody using FibreJet or SNS SAN systems

We have 8TB of SATA Drives on a 4gig FibreJet system. Runs pretty well: we can record about 800 tracks (24/48k) total across the network at any given time.

The only problems that we ever have are related to the order in which drives are mounted by the local system, but the network is so fast that a re-link usually takes seconds.

what is everyone else using and to what degree of success?

feaks.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Anybody using FibreJet or SNS SAN systems

Hi,

This is probably not much use to you but, I am using a SNS x-4 system using gigabit ethernet (Two control rooms, an edit suite and a backup station). I have been avoiding fiber since I am trying to avoid expansion chassis'. The SNS x-4 was working great up until 7.4. From there on, it has been riddled with playback errors. In addition, Elastic Audio prevents us from working in parallel on the same project if a track in the session has elastic audio turned on. My whole purpose for getting the system, which by the way was great on 7.3, was so that I could be mixing a song while my assistant was also preparing stuff on the same song at the same time. I could be mixing while he was tuning a vocal for example and he would just save his session fiile and any new audio files to a partition he was working from.

How does ffiber/iberjet and PT 7.4 like each other?

Sorry I don't have more to contribute.

mike
Old 04-03-2008, 07:09 PM

Thats scary, we got the media station/satellite so we have to move to 7.4. I was told by a very high up guy at digi that we shouldn't have any problems at all. Have you spoken to tech support about this? Have you narrowed it down to any particular action?
Old 04-05-2008, 01:31 PM

I have spoken to the SNS guys and they are very aware of the problem. They say that the main problem is that the audio engine has been changed to support elastic audio and a side effect is that all systems are having troubles, including systems that are digi approved. The other annoying side effect of the way the elastic audio engine works is that you cannot have two clients reading from the same elastic audio tracks. It would have been great if there was a way to rerender the elastic tracks to the local partition that you have write access to.

mike
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 AM

The performance loss in Pro Tools 7.4 is in no way related to a specific storage solution. The performance issue in PT 7.4 exists when using SATA, Firewire, SCSI or fibrechannel. Here's a statement from Digi - http://tinyurl.com/3my3dm
Old 04-23-2008, 07:36 AM

I'm considering going from 7.3 to 7.4 for the improved Project Manager (volume control and no Direct I/O delays). We have a Fibre network(FibreShare). When not using Elastic Audio do you see any problems with shared storage? Did you get reduced track counts when going from 7.3 to 7.4?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:36 AM

Hi,
I would like to confirm that since we have upgraded to 7.4 we are loaded with 9073's without any reasons as it was working
perfectly on 7.3. Sometimes we have errors on a 4 tracks session, sometimes it works flawlessly for hours with 64 tracks and video..
As Mtung, we have two HD3 stations working on a SNS X4 and we need too the facility to work simultaneously on the same session in the 2 control rooms.
I've tried every settings and the one which works best is all buffers to the max,getting the system
a little sluggish. Using the internal Sata ( we have 700go as a second drive in each Mac) the problems are completely eliminated
for the same sessions.Unfortunately we would like to use the X4 as our main drives....

www.labomaticstudios.com
Old 04-23-2008, 04:29 PM

Reduced track counts (9073) happen when moving from 7.3 to 7.4, not sure why but it's pretty obvious just by doing a 3 month 9073 search on the TDM OSX forum. The issue does seem somewhat random as to whom and when it strikes, though, internal drives seem to be the safest. From what I have read on this forum most complaints are referring to external storage. Never messed with Fibreshare so I can't make an educated comment. My obvious suggestion would be test before deployment. Clone a working PT7.3 image and upgrade your clone. If it bombs, no loss. Maybe the performance hit won't even affect you or if it does maybe it won't be debilitating. It's worth trying regardless, 7.4 is a great upgrade!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:03 PM

WOW that is really scary. Pretty sure that I'm going to stick with 7.3 for at least a few more months.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 PM

We have an SNS x4 system for testing, and it seems to function just fine with PT 7.4. Using one PTLE 7.4cs4 and one PTHD 7.3.1cs6 system, we can play back 160 tracks from the PTHD system while we record 96 tracks of 24/96 audio to the PTLE system using 32 samples of HW buffer and the default disk buffer value(1500ms).

I really have to push the system hard to provoke any 9073 errors, If I try to playback 96 tracks while I highlight and duplicate a lot of regions (alt+shift+3) I sometimes get 9073 errors, but not under normal use. SNS suggests that you turn on something they call "iscsi write buffer" by defult when using PT with SNS, but I have not been using this option - maybe that makes the difference? I really am impressed with the performance of this system.

Espen