Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-28-2011, 09:44 AM

Default What's the difference between HD Native and HDX?

1. Plug in count
2. One can use 3 HDX cards but only one Native card

That's it

Am I wrong?

Does the HDX card have a larger maximum delay compensation?
Does the HDX contribute to the mix engine?
Does the HDX contribute more voices?

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:59 AM

Default Re: What's the difference between HD Native and HDX?

Delay comp is the same for both systems, with PT HD 10.

Each HDX card can do 256 tracks. So one would be the same as HD Native, which is also 256 tracks with PTHD10 (not with HD9). The advantage being that with HDX you can expand up to 3 cards, with HD Native, you can't. For most music users, 256 should be adequate. Post Production users on large projects may appreciate the larger track count.

HDX handles both mixing and plugins, with the option to offload some processing to the computer. HD Native handles neither of those. What HD Native handles is the I/O, which still takes a significant load off the computer, allowing you to run larger track counts/plugins at lower buffers than you could with the typical firewire/usb interface. It also allows lower latency at the same buffer than those interfaces for the same reason.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchase View Post
1. Plug in count
2. One can use 3 HDX cards but only one Native card

That's it

Am I wrong?

Does the HDX card have a larger maximum delay compensation?
Does the HDX contribute to the mix engine?
Does the HDX contribute more voices?

Thanks!
Latency is the big one - the ability to track through plug-ins while generating multiple headphone mixes, etc... without significant latency is a huge issue, and no native rig can deliver this at the moment.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM

IM running a native card on a 12 core mac pro.
I use the aviams to provide multiple head phone mixes per person recording (we have 5 boxes)
This set up allows me to have almost zero latency while tracking at 64 buffer with plug ins on...
Check out the Aviams, its a great way to have customer controlled headphone mixes without relying on host or cards. and its cheaper.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
HDX handles both mixing and plugins
Is this info anywhere on AVID's site?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Latency is the big one - the ability to track through plug-ins while generating multiple headphone mixes, etc... without significant latency is a huge issue, and no native rig can deliver this at the moment.

best,
rich
This is a HUGE bonus for HDX systems. Not only the overall lower latency to start with, but the fact that sessions with extremely large track counts running countless plug-ins will NEVER have to have the buffer size bumped (thereby losing low latency) to compensate for the increased load on the CPU. HDX users will also never have to deal with the "zero latency" hardware workarounds.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickroadstudio View Post
IM running a native card on a 12 core mac pro.
I use the aviams to provide multiple head phone mixes per person recording (we have 5 boxes)
This set up allows me to have almost zero latency while tracking at 64 buffer with plug ins on...
Check out the Aviams, its a great way to have customer controlled headphone mixes without relying on host or cards. and its cheaper.
But what are you using to source the Avioms? If those sources are *through* the HD-Native record path (which is the most efficient and intuitive way to run a cue mix) then you are subject to the delays of the host, unable to monitor with through plug-ins, and dependent on buffer settings controlling throughput latency. Or am I missing something? I don't own an HD-Native rig, but am interested in how it performs.

best,
rich

Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Old 10-28-2011, 10:49 AM

By tracking with a 64 buffer, he still can track with plugins, just like LE users can.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
By tracking with a 64 buffer, he still can track with plugins, just like LE users can.
Yeah, in my experience, that's too much latency for the musicians I work with.

In any case, I'm still interested in exactly what he's sourcing the Avioms from.

best,
rich

Old 05-09-2013, 11:03 PM

someone suggested that "HDX handles both mixing and plugins"

Does this mean that the HDX card 'processes' any plugins that are running Native? or does the HDX card "only" process plugins that are AAX DSP?

I am ready to buy either HDX or Native but all my plugins are Native and not HDX. Plugins I use may never be HDX DSP for example: CEDAR, Equality, Convolution Verbs, anything Waves, etc. So, if the HDX card does not process plugins running native, for me, there is no advantage for going HDX.

As far as mixing: Does HDX process all mixing instead of the host computer? or do both HDX and Native process mixing the same way.