Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2017, 01:59 AM

Default Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools

I am a long time Logic User, and have done a lot of round tripping for Midi programming but know days I do most of my midi programming directly in Pro tool and I like it. Most of what I do is composing, not recording midi input. That might be another animal....

OS X 12.3, PT 12.7.1 Vanilla, Logic Pro X, Reason 9, Melodyne, iZotope, BFD3, Komplete 9
MBPro 2013 Retina (16GB)
External Thunderbolt SSD
Thunderbolt display
Apogee quartet & duet
Nord Stage II EX
Roland TD-12
Old 06-03-2017, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools

I am also one of the weirdos that have had zero trouble with PT MIDI. But then again, I was doing midi in the late 80's / early 90's with Commodore64 and I could say it was a bit hard
Old 06-03-2017, 02:22 AM

Ahh, those were the days. I remember being able to save up to a Revox B77 1982, finally my band could do Sound on Sound

OS X 12.3, PT 12.7.1 Vanilla, Logic Pro X, Reason 9, Melodyne, iZotope, BFD3, Komplete 9
MBPro 2013 Retina (16GB)
External Thunderbolt SSD
Thunderbolt display
Apogee quartet & duet
Nord Stage II EX
Roland TD-12
Old 06-03-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude1961 View Post
I am a long time Logic User, and have done a lot of round tripping for Midi programming but know days I do most of my midi programming directly in Pro tool and I like it. Most of what I do is composing, not recording midi input. That might be another animal....
You're not sick. PT MIDI, though very basic, is usable enough (just clunky), and I've used it for over 15 years because I didn't want to use two DAWs. I think MIDI timing in PT rather loose, though.

The real problem was the bugs that arose from PT 12, together with the related VI issues. That was when I actually started considering another DAW for MIDI. I've never used Logic seriously (mainly because I'm a Windows user) except for its first incarnation as Notator, which was good in those early days. I messed with Logic a little when there was a Windows version. Many people say MIDI in Logic is easy and solid.

When you say you don't record MIDI input, does that mean you work in the score editor? You're right, though... the other might be another beast altogether!
Old 06-03-2017, 03:21 AM

The only problem with PT MIDI I have really suffered is the infamous sustain pedal bug that was introduced in PT9 I think and hasn't really been killed. It is kind of on/off bug that you just need to be aware of.

What I've heard the #1 reason people are using Logic is that Kontakt AU has been *cough* and therefore they have more tools available compared to PT.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:22 AM

Quote:
I'm a Logic veteran too and definitely agree. Clearly there are features missing from Pro Tools but just like audio editing, MIDI editing in PT is way slicker and much faster than in Logic. It's piano roll editor has not really evolved much since 1996 when I first used it.

Cubase has the benchmark piano roll editor by a country mile. Unforutnalely I've not found a satisfactory way of using it with PT yet.

There's quite an interesting comparative review video of MIDI editors here:
https://youtu.be/g8UfGIfuDaA
Old 06-03-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
You would have hated it before PT version 8. It's historically hated for midi use because in the old days there was no midi edit window. It was an nigh impossible task. Even though they've sorted much out that hatred lingers on.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Cubase has the benchmark piano roll editor by a country mile. Unforutnalely I've not found a satisfactory way of using it with PT yet.
+1. I started out in Cubase (actually when it was Pro 24), and I know how reliable, easy and solid it is. In the early days I would actually do my MIDI in Cubase with an Atari and import into PT.

Marsdy, what's your workflow like between Logic and PT? Can you use them synced side by side on a Mac?
Old 06-03-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
+1. I started out in Cubase (actually when it was Pro 24), and I know how reliable, easy and solid it is. In the early days I would actually do my MIDI in Cubase with an Atari and import into PT.

Marsdy, what's your workflow like between Logic and PT? Can you use them synced side by side on a Mac?
I've seen others doing just that although I don't use Logic anymore unless I need to dig up an old track originally done in Logic to output stems etc.

...Unfortunately there's a major catch there because ridiculously, Logic can't open pre version 7 files.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
The only problem with PT MIDI I have really suffered is the infamous sustain pedal bug that was introduced in PT9 I think and hasn't really been killed. It is kind of on/off bug that you just need to be aware of.
Indeed. That, and funky timing (not in a good way) annoyed me for so long that I eventually bought Logic. MIDI production in Logic - audio, editing and mixing in PT. Love it!