Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 03:16 PM

Default Record enable crash...

Hi all, I am on a G4 1.25 2g ram 10.3.2 PT HD3 6.4. Even though this thing is an old version I'd like to get some ideas of what to do rather than reinstalling everything. I am having something wack me out....thought I would run it by you. I have had great luck with my rig for the most part, let me paint this picture of what I am going through. When I turn on my rig, open a session PT works kinda fine (maybe a bit slow). Without getting into the details, (I have done all the digi troubleshooting ideas except deleting digi setup).
When I record enable tracks I get to 6-12 tracks and PT unexpantantly quits it asks if I want to send a report to apple...that screen right? got it? Anyway, after boot after boot after boot I have a workaround that works for now....it is the following/// Start Mac/repair permissions/open pt session/rec enable 16 tracks, click em on and off no problem (even all 16 at once) WORKS FINE.../close session /open it back up without repairing permissions/crash after 6-12 tracks are enabled/// SO... if I repair permisssions I can load 1(one) session that will not crash when record enableing more than 6 tracks. I am right around the corner from upgrading to a G5 and all that will envolve so I kinda wondered if these indications point to something with you all. My place is booked solid right now, so thanks for your help. I was trying to remember the last thing I installed and that was drumagog. Dwight
Old 06-01-2006, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Record enable crash...

Try reducing the Open Ended Record Allocation preference to 10 minutes.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-01-2006, 03:52 PM

Hi Rail, thanks for that. I've got a rehersal now but I changed it to 10 and opened another session after the change. It was ok. I'll try more later. Should I run this like this, or is this a GRACE period. Thanks for alot for all you do for others. Dwight
Old 06-01-2006, 04:00 PM

You should always keep that value at the appropriate value for the session you're doing. The reason for the crash when set to "Use all available space" is because of the way values are stored in computers.. if you have a drive with a huge amount of open space it can cause a variable roll-over to occur.. and hence the crashes.

Having a smaller value will make Pro Tools work faster anyway.

Rail
Old 06-01-2006, 06:38 PM

That was helpful info. But she did it to me again...12 tracks enabled then "submit report?" screen. I am running a PC (forgot to mention that) so I wait for the faders to fall. Pro Tools has now quit on it own. I repair permissions, open session enable 16 tracks 1 at a time no prob...turn them on and off with PC all at once...no prob.
Any other ideas? d
Old 06-01-2006, 08:16 PM

Try all the steps in the sticky Troubleshooting thread... especially the deleting of DigiBase folders. If that doesn't do it... you'll have to try a clean reinstall (sorry).

Rail