Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-28-2015, 09:01 PM

Default Bizarre crashes

So I am not sure whether to post this in 10, 11, or 12, you will see why.

I have used protools 10 with a digi 002 for quite awhile now. little wonky, but worked.

A few days ago, I decided it was time to upgrade and purchased the yearly license for the PT12. I used my new work computer to download it. Found out after I purchased that it was not supported with the 002. And it didn't work. With some reading, I finally upgraded the latest legacy drivers. and it worked. Very good actually. I did a whole four hour session. no problems.
Shut it down, then went back to it the next day. It worked again at first. Then in the middle of the session it just stopped working. It would not recognize the inputs on the 002. (giving me an error message that said that. didn't write it down dammit)

So I downloaded PT11, thinking it was just a PT12 problem. PT11 would not recognize it either--same message. Restarted a couple times. Finally, I turned the 002 off and back on and it finally worked again. I was able to record just fine. Turned it off after that session. Came back the next day--and it would not recognize the 002. Tried everything again (turn off, restart, etc.). Still would not work. No matter what I did, would not work.

So I decided to go back to my old computer with PT10.3.10. Worked perfectly. Did a whole session. awesome and stable for a number of hours. Then shut it down.
Came back a couple of hours later--and it would not work start up. I tried about 15 times, restarting everything. Re-downloaded 10. nothing worked. It gave 2 different error messages with PT10 (every other time--I tested this 7 times):

1) ProTools could not initialize the current playback device. Make sure that the device has been configured correctly
2)ProTools quit unexpectedly click reopen to open the application again quick report see more detailed information and send a report to...

I tried over and over again. Still would not work with PT10. SO, on a whim, I decided to try the new computer with PT11 again. IT WORKED PERFECTLY. recorded, played, even bounced.

Protools 10 is on macbook pro, probably a 2011.
Protools 11 and 12 are on MacBook Pro 2014.
What on earth is going on?

Last edited by sheeptuf; 06-28-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:26 AM
Avid

Default Re: Bizarre crashes

Hi sheeptuf,

I'm sorry to hear that your are having some issues with your Digi 002. But as I checked your concern, seems like you are having Compatibility issues.

As you know, Digi 002 is not tested to run on Pro tools 11 and 12. So, there is a chance to work and not.

Now, for your Pro tools 10. May I know what is the version of the driver that you installed on your Macbook pro (2011)?

Best Regards,

YD
Old 06-29-2015, 07:17 AM

Hi, thanks for responding.

I think I downloaded the latest one for it: 11.1.3

Which now that you ask, might be the problem. Question is, why would it work perfectly, and then not work at all? Would that happen with the wrong driver?

Also, why would it happen with 10, 11, and 12? Is there any chance it could be a hardware issue with my 002?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Avid

As I mentioned, 002 is untested to run on 11 and 12. It may run and it may not. same as what's happening on you right now.

Have you tried to use your 002 on Pro tools 10 running on OSX 10.6.7-10.8? I bet it will work perfectly on that system.

Best Regards,

YD
Old 06-29-2015, 08:41 AM

002 console tested and fully functional on Pro Tools 11/12 here on my 2012 Mackbook Pro! OSX 10.8.5.

Perhaps this could be the dreaded yet seemingly inevitable "power harness issue" the 002s had? I wouldn't know the exact symptoms, tho, as I got mine replaced by BLA before it went bad...
Old 06-29-2015, 04:39 PM

Yeah, BLA did mine also right when I heard about it. Thanks though.

Glad to hear your 002 works with PT11.
Going to get Mountain Lion tonight and see if it fixes everything.

fingers crossed.