Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2014, 06:44 PM

Default How do I use an ART HeadAmp 6 Pro with Pro Tools 9 and Mbox Pro?

I have Pro Tools 9 (10 is yet to be installed altho I have it) and I was recently gifted a nice headphone amp, ART HeadAmp 6 Pro to be exact. I have the cables running from output 5 and 6 on the mbox pro to the inputs on the headphone amp... i did a sends from my tracks in pro tools to Analog 5 and 6 in Pro Tools... I am not getting any signals on the headphone amp... just a white noise on the master volume and nothing is coming into any of the 6 channels on the headphone amp... I am missing something totally simple here and I can not figure it out for the life of me.... help????
Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 AM

Default Re: How do I use an ART HeadAmp 6 Pro with Pro Tools 9 and Mbox Pro?

You added a send on each track....did you push the send faders up? Did you make these sends pre-fader or post-fader? With Pre, the headphone mix(once it works) will not be affected by you changing levels on the main track faders, or muting and soloing tracks. If you have pushed the send faders up, check your assignment in the IO setup window>Output tab. Then double-check your patch to the headphone amp. Make sure you are feeding the INPUTS(its easy to goof in a poorly lit rack). Be aware that the AUX inputs are stereo UNbalanced.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-12-2014, 09:04 AM

Hey Dave, thanks for the input. Unfortunately, all of the things you mentioned appear to be good. I triple checked everything before I posted. We have them running out of 5-6 into the inputs on the hard phone amp. All of the sends are turned up and assigned to 5-6. There are 6 channels or different headphone plug ins on the amp. None of them are getting a signal. The main one just appears to be getting some white noise. Not sure. It just shows a low steady level even when nothing is playing (in the green). We are using balanced cables running from the mbox to headphone amp.

Any other ideas? Thanks!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:38 PM

Try a TRS cable from the Mbox headphone jack(with the volume way down at first) feeding the AUX input of any section of the ART(1 thru 6). Twist the Balance knob to the middle on that section and see if you get audio instead of noise. If no, maybe the ART is bad. If you get sound, try feeding the Mbox main outputs to the ART main inputs. If that works, maybe the 5&6 outputs are bad(further testing required). Troubleshooting is an acquired skill that is tough to teach via long distance Basically, you should try every OUTPUT of the Mbox, and every INPUT of the ART(including trying a iPod-type device to take the Mbox completely out of the equation).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave